Torpedo Launcher Range/Vision

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by brianpurkiss, June 21, 2014.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

With the latest patch, the Basic and Advanced Torpedo Launchers had their vision reduced and radar added.

However, its torpedo range was reduced along side it.

I really liked how it could shoot farther than it could see.

Anyone else agree?
    stuart98, PeggleFrank and igncom1 like this.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Naval warfare, is long ranged warfare.

And a long ranged torpedo was the best way of enforcing this without simply having water borne artillery people can put into puddles.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  3. zhaii

zhaii Active Member

I played a game last night where I spammed like 200 ships into someone's bay, only to shortly realize there was a ton of anchors above that bay.

You couldnt even move through that ocean anymore, it was just jammed with busted metal, pretty funny actually.

I don't see a point in ships other than fulfilling the wishes of the backers.

But I'm sure their use will become apparent.
  4. brianpurkiss

The main issue with boats is what you just pointed out: wrecks.

The wrecks clog up the ocean making them unpassable and rendering naval attacks useless.

However, in the future, wrecks will sink so naval units will be actually viable.

I can't wait.
  5. igncom1

Hell, it could be nice to have alive ships ram and sink dead ships, give it a cool effect too.

Maybe just slow them down a little in the process too......actually, it would be cool to have coral reefs that do that as well, not blocking movement, but making larger ships path slower through them.
  6. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Coral Reefs are not speed bumps. They are spike rails. Large ships wouldn't be able to go through them.
  7. igncom1

Unless we reclaim them with the bow of our boat!

But yeah, you are right in a real sense, but islands already are good barriers.
  8. Xagar

Xagar Active Member

Speaking of reefs, is there planned to be shallow/deep water implemented? I thought that was pretty neat in the maps it showed up in TA. (Ground units could pass at reduced speed and naval facs and larger ships couldn't pass).
  9. zhaii

zhaii Active Member

I suppose u COULD use air fabbers to clean up the mess, but good luck having them survive hah
  10. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

What if you just like shot it so it wasn't a problem anymore.
    igncom1 likes this.
  11. brianpurkiss

Shooting the wrecks takes a lot of micro. And due to the low rate of fire of naval, shooting at the wrecks is a big hit to your outgoing damage. So if you take time to shoot at the wrecks and the enemy doesn't, you're dead.
  12. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

That's already implemented and sometimes happens by accident. :p
  13. brianpurkiss

It's not implemented. It's just a glitch that happens from time to time when a very narrow stretch of land passes between bodies of water, but it's so narrow that it looks like water when it's actually land.
  14. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Well yes, it's not on purpose, but I've even seen instances in which a piece of land was actually pathable by naval! (Ooh that pissed of EnergyDL from IG back in the day during some tourney), sometimes water is pathable by land units, and you can tell when you go into the f11(?) view.
  15. igncom1

Could at least have the sea floor in those instances have a coral texture, or at least something to indicate to the player that it's there.

Textures for path-ability could also be important for showing hills from orbit, showing inclines and the like with rocks, less foliage and stuff, blending off in one direction, but coming to a fine end on the other, showing the direction of the incline.
  16. bobucles

What micro would that be? If it's in the way of pathing, shoot it. Problem solved.
  17. brianpurkiss

You have to click on each individual wreck to allow your units to move forward. And in naval battles, there can get a lot of wrecks. That is heavy heavy micro.

Also, like I said, with naval's low ROF, shooting a wreck signs a death sentence for that unit.
  18. KNight

KNight Post Master General

The fact that you can "automatically" target wrecks is a source of much frustration for me when I'm trying to plot a path through a base with Ants when playing RCBM. I understand there are times when you might want to target wrecks, but I don't think it happens often enough for it being "standard behavior" for right clicking on a wreck.

Mike
  19. bobucles

That sounds like a good way to differentiate between a standard move and an "attack" move.

What's with RCBM? Is it becoming a standard thing now?
  20. KNight

KNight Post Master General

We're working on it, I think Nano and MadSci are almost ready to do the first "major" release but you can grab it from the github if you want to mess around with it sooner.

I haven't played too much of it myself but what I have played I've had a lot of fun with, more so than I recall having playing stock(thought I didn't play much of that either) and things are going to really take off once we can start getting new models involved but for right now we're mostly focused on balancing what's been provided first.

Mike