To DEVs at PAX-East

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Martenus, April 11, 2014.

1. Martenus

Martenus Well-Known Member

Last edited: April 11, 2014
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  2. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

Äh... ? Ouh... I dont know what i should say about this Thread... :oops::confused:
  3. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

4. nightbasilisk

nightbasilisk Active Member

5. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

Screw WoW. It's a game that should have died a while back but is slowly bleeding out while Activision/Blizzard try and pump bad ideas and money into it.

It was an amazing accomplishment back in 2004, now it's nothing but the same old same old. Actilizzard needs to make a new real MMO(maybe another Warcraft RTS?) instead of just trying to extend the life of a dying game by adding meaningless(in terms of new and or inventive) content.

Also, what does WoW have to do with PA? Well, I mean other than show us how awesome and inventive Uber is and how fresh IPs help add new levels of gameplay to a pretty stagnant market.
    tehtrekd likes this.
  6. Martenus

How is the biggest MMO on the market dying, please explain. Seems like you are just one of these trolls, that game is still the best MMORPG has to offer and it is the game with most content and basically infinite fun. Believe it or not, but there are people who like it because of let's say fishing.

It is the leader of the genre and it will be for many years to come as all its competitors fail to compete. So yeh, this game is nowhere close to dying. It is just not played by 12 milion players anymore, but about 60% of that, which is still pretty damn awesome.
  7. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

IMHO all MMOs should die.

They're just a stupid concept, equivalent to Facebook games.
    "Yay that was a fun raid, can't wait to the EXACT same thing in 10 hours!"
    Routine and repetitive are the words I'd use to describe MMO's.

"But WAIT, what about new expansions?"
    Oh yay, another group of copypasted dungeon raids with more powerful loot.
    Christmas has come early.
  8. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Why isn't this in the unrelated forum?
  9. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Planetside 2, anyone?
    LavaSnake and thetrophysystem like this.
  10. Martenus

Let get rid of all real life sports then, they are everytime the same. Every single time.

Woohoo, olympics, yeey, copy pasted sports on a new stadium...

Basically: cool story bro.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  11. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Except they aren't.
    Every real world sport plays out differently, but every dungeon raid in an MMO plays out the exact same way to the very frame, because they can be optimized.

Then, you willingly wait 8 hours to do the route again for a chance at that one legendary or whatever.
    That's the thing that irks me the most, the fact that you have to WAIT to PLAY the game.
    They might as well stick a big old microtransaction button to skip the wait time just to fully extend that middle finger given to players.
  12. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

13. Martenus

What if someone enjoys MMO not because of dungeons and raids? Then your theory crumbles.

It is MMORPG because there is really so much to do, it is not only about raiding every night.
  14. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

These games cater to creatures of habit. Doing a only gradually changing difficulty type raiding game, while slowly evolving to better equipment or stats, allows someone to enjoy something they enjoy, and slowly enjoy it more.

You are on a forum catering mostly to an RTS game, you should know our feel. We are opening all kinds of game types and total conversions up for the future here, but for the most part it is identical conflicts, with this game only being slightly more fresh per match due to random generated maps.

I used to play Runescape, still have the acct and all, LOVE dungeoneering, love how you slowly unlock equipment as you unlock harder dungeons and themes, you progress though different bosses, those dungeons are procedurally generated but generated out of copy-paste rooms with puzzles or resources and you must train a variety of skills or have a variety of party members to aquire and craft resources on site. Best stuff ever, even being poorly balanced against rangers except for one single overpowered ranged anti-mage weapon.

I could get on day after day, month after month, and play me handfuls upon handfuls of procedurally generated dungeons, being essentially the same game time after time, but its fun, the social structure, the grinding, the slight diversity of layout, playing with different people of different skill balances. AND I DONT EVEN PLAY WOW even though I say all this.

I also play shooters, but don't "prestige", because I just want my specific weapon setup class build, to play over and over, in the same scenario Search and Destroy, just to match that against different players of different tactics. Kind of like one would like to take their turtle or raiding or rushing or sniping tactics against a variety of opponents in Planetary Annihilation.

Then, there is Varrok Town Square, just to mess around and hang out and dance and play around with cosmetic items and emotes and junk. Also, grinding and training with friends while similarly making some sort of game or shooting the bull or messing with cosmetics while doing so.

Also, I flippin LOVE fishing on runescape. I go to Shilo Village and bare-handed fish with a tribal mask and shield on with guthix colored leather armor on. Jolly fun, hopping worlds and shooting the bull with different people to keep social activity up.
    Last edited: April 11, 2014
    Martenus likes this.
  15. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

> Unrelated
    On the topic of WoW: It's still played be like a few million people so Blizzard obviously will continue supporting it.
  16. krakanu

krakanu Well-Known Member

Honestly you could boil down any game to doing the same thing over and over again. What's so fun about Skyrim? You just run around talking to people and stabbing things... What's so fun about Tetris? It's just a bunch of falling colored blocks... What's so fun about PA? Its just the same set of robots fighting over planets...

Games are fun because you get lost in their world. If you over-analyze and nitpick everything about a game it stops being fun, because on close inspection you can see that it's all really just a bunch of flat cardboard storefront props in an old western movie.

Don't be the guy at the end of this video, they ruin all the fun:

17. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I think this is not necessarily the case for PA. I surely don't get lost in the world of PA, in fact I mostly don't care at all for the story and stuff. Some robots just fight because they fight and that's it. The fun comes from analyzing how to fight best and writing mods to support that.

EDIT:
    Also I did not get lost in the world of WoW in the sense of reading the story back when I played it for a while. It was more about gathering those cool things and levelling up asap as well.

Getting lost in a game's world really only happens in single player games like Gothic or X for me at least.
    Quitch likes this.
  18. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

Unless you consider any time sink "getting lost", you may need to reevaluate that one
  19. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

WoW peaked a loooong time ago. I've actually been toying with the idea of getting back into it because 1) I miss my RP character and 2) I've been playing through WC3: but I can counter those with the fact that all my old friends stopped playing soon after I did, and the WoW story arc REAAAALLY went to **** around Cataclysm.

It IS bleeding out players and declining, but we're talking about a game with a higher population that my own country. It's gonna be staying around for a good while yet.
    Quitch likes this.
  20. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

I have some pics - none of the awesome shenanigans like the fan who wanted their face signed by the Devs, but some of the setup and pics I was able to take from the booth. Enjoy! :)
    Orome, chronosoul and Quitch like this.