To all modders

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by napperjabber, February 7, 2014.

1. napperjabber

napperjabber New Member

I'm setting here waiting to see if my PA-mod application gets approved. In the meantime, I'd like to reach out and gain your opinions on a Mods-Database.

I see a growing number of mods being posted but without much organization they're limited to there respective threads. This is an effort to keep them from being lost.

I'm not going to list off my experience in building a mod-database, but I'll be looking at the minecraft-wiki/database(http://www.minecraftdl.com/category/minecraft-mods/) and opengameart.org as models.

Please respond to this thread with the questions answered. ( All commentary format accepted though, as I can parse anything in English with my See-Globes. )

1. Do you want me to do a Mod-Database to house everything in one area?
    2. What properties would you like me to store/publicize?
    3. What do you want this website to do/offer?
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I'm working on a mods database on PA Matches.

Haven't had time to do it properly or completely on my own, and people haven't been submitting mods, which would make things easier.

I need to improve the format and add more mods.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

The current mod manager by raevn is pretty good already tbh.
    Sure you could build a webpage, but Uber has plans like that as well. So I'd say the current mod manager is good enough (damn good enough) and putting in too much work into something that might be replaced in the future and is already solved to a very usable degree is not the best idea.

If you however want to go through with it:
    1.) If it adds value to the existing mod manager
    2.) the current mod manager has everything I would need I think
    3.) An integeration with the current manager, so you can easily install mods from the browser.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  4. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

5. napperjabber

napperjabber New Member

Brainpurkiss, have you have a chance to talk to raevn? This is coming from cola_colin's post. It seems like he wants somekind of online database and it seems what you have here would go great with what Raevn has.

I'd be willing to tie raevn's mod manager together with brainpurkiss's mod database. I too see no reason to reinvent the wheel with raevn's mod nor brainpurkiss's.

Do you three want to collaborate on this? If you send me your emails via PM, I can get the ball rolling.
  6. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Like I said, integration with the mod manager is actually really easy. Have your web page read in the json file I linked to and you will be able to see everything PAMM uses to make its own list. One click install from a web page would require some more work by raevn, and I don't really think we need it.
  7. napperjabber

napperjabber New Member

Oh, I see. You already have an online database.

We'll, I don't see the point of doing anything extraordinary. I'll just throw a bootstrap page-together and submit a pull request.

In response to you're most current message. Yeah, I just finished looking at the source-structure. :p
    cptconundrum likes this.
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Maybe Nexus will one day do it... If they did, it would show you how popular this game got.
  9. ORFJackal

ORFJackal Active Member

elitedanzel and cptconundrum like this.
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I was just thinking about writing some funny mobile mini games, thanks for mentioning that page. It's a perfect source so nobody has to see my programmer art.
    napperjabber likes this.