Timer Please

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Wishlist' started by sokoto, September 2, 2010.

1. ironzerg

ironzerg New Member

If I was a super elite MLG player, I would fight any change that would give less skilled and less competitive teams an advantage.

All the super skilled players already have an intrinsic ability to manage their time, track the annihlator and anticipate Jackbot spawns. Adding anything to the game, like a HUD timer would ruin this advantage.

The truth is, all these people irrationally fighting tooth and nail against the clock are secrectly hiding the fact that they are the true elite of MNC and don't want to see any bone thrown to the subpar players who need a clock crutch to help them coordinate.
  2. bdcjacko

bdcjacko New Member

I suck, I just don't want to see a cluttered up screen.
  3. Amaranth

Amaranth New Member

I'm not even sure how this is a "competitive" thing. Like, how competitive can you be if you need a crutch just to rush an event? Sounds like a n00b tool. I mean, I'm just a casual gamer, but I can't imagine getting my panties in a wad over this.
  4. bdcjacko

bdcjacko New Member

Also, just a side note, what does "competitive player" even mean? They are playing to win, while the rest of us are playing to lose because we aren't competitive?
  5. Amaranth

Amaranth New Member

The Assassins in this game seem to play to give me firebase kills, so maybe that's what a non-competitive gamer is. I thought they were just dumb.
  6. Gate88

Gate88 New Member

I'd like the timer to stay how it is. There's enough HUD clutter as it is, and I think little details like this really add to the atmosphere.

Having a good feel for the time in the game is part of the game. If it's not a good strategy to look at the time, then don't do it!

Also, I think it's interesting that it gives an advantage, however small, to the team that's currently losing (or dying a lot).
  7. Leonyx

Leonyx New Member

First of all, we need to get one thing straight: this is not a matter of competitive gaming, this is a matter of conveniency. Don't try to twist this into something it's not. A stupid timer on the side of the screen is not going to make a skilled player any better.

Also, we don't need to get so heated over a little clock. That's not going to ruin any gameplay or anything. So calm down.

I'm for the side of no timer, because a good player (at least in my opinion) is going to go back to their base every once in a while to spawn bots, or upgrade turrets, or defend the base from assassins or what not, and the clock only being at your base is a nice and small incentive to do so. Also, there probably is a reason as to why the developers decided to do this, and I will respect their wishes (unless the reason is stupid, but I highly doubt that).

HOWEVER, I do acknowledge that a timer on the side would be very convenient for those times when I've set up shop somewhere and can't be bothered to go back to the homebase because I need to defend that area. Since it doesn't really affect the gameplay, I wouldn't care much at all if the devs decided to add it.

In conclusion, I may be on the side of no timer, but I realize it really isn't going to affect the gameplay, so it isn't a big deal whether or not it's implemented.

This really shouldn't need to be argued about. I'm not one for change, but this community is going downhill if we're going to flame someone over some numbers on the bottom of a screen. The atmosphere of the game will not be ruined because of it, and gamers are not severly disadvantaged without it. Seriously, just discuss your opinion over it in a calmly manner and there won't be any problems.

tl;dr: It's not that big of a deal, calm down.
  8. starwolf333

starwolf333 New Member

Very accurate summary of Sokoto's original argument. Heh.

Also, Leonyx, I don't think anyone on the side against the timer is getting very heated. We just find it entertaining to see the responses of the people getting so worked up about us not wanting a timer. I know I check this thread on a regular basis just to get a chuckle out of how desperate some of the people have been sounding in their begging for the timer.
  9. Leonyx

Leonyx New Member

Yeah, but my point still stands.
  10. OptiMAT

OptiMAT New Member

While I can understand the MLG-style arguments, it adds to the atmosphere to have it like it is, and in this game, the atmosphere aspect of the gameplay is more important than the competitive one - that's what makes the game fun in it's zany way.

If you were really hardcore it is just easy to have a watch with you or phone with a countdown timer. Or you could just push into their base/go back to yours to look at it quickly. I can understand why the time might be important in a competitive game but you can make decisions without it being there, too.

Maybe the Overtime Timer could be extended (no, not overtime extended) to appear 2 minutes before Overtime and then last through overtime as well, so the clock is only present in the last few moments of struggle.
  11. Red Shift

Red Shift New Member

What would you guys say to a big overhead timer similar to what you see at NBA/NHL games?

You guys who still enjoy the immersion of having a non-UI timer still get your way, and you "competitive" players can just look up from just about anywhere in the map and see your timer.

Watcha think about that? :D
  12. Leonyx

Leonyx New Member

Clever, very clever. But what about the incentive to go back to the home base every once in a while?
  13. Red Shift

Red Shift New Member

Two words: topless pitgirl.

In all seriousness, idk. Something tells me that if players are so agitated about this that they feel the need to rage on the forums, they're not going back to base anyway.

Personally, I'm not one of these death machines going 40-2... Hell, I can barely keep a 1.0 k/d, so I'm respawning enough times where this whole issue doesn't even apply to me really. If uber just stays the course on timer placement, I couldn't care less.
  14. Leonyx

Leonyx New Member

Yeah, like I said, it's not that big of a deal. It's not much of an incentive anyway. I tend to switch between offense and defense fairly frequently, so I get to see it all the time. It doesn't really matter to me.
  15. tezmac

tezmac New Member

I still say leave it as it is.

If you really need to know the time then start a stopwatch when the game commences. Every mobile phone has one nowadays.
  16. bdcjacko

bdcjacko New Member

I don't even know why it is an issue i mean you don't know how the team is going to act before they show up, so you need to be thinking on your feet, not be going by a time table.
  17. Thebigcheese

Thebigcheese New Member

Cheat more loser.
  18. ObiFett

ObiFett New Member

Just my two cents, but I like that the timer is only located in two spots.

It encourages teamwork MORE because you have to rely on teammates to relay the time if you are midfield. Also makes it less likely that everyone knows when the annihilator is about to come back up.
  19. Reltsirk

Reltsirk New Member

I have 0 problems saying "X minutes till overtime" When X is > 5 minutes.
  20. Amaranth

Amaranth New Member

You know what would be really competitive? If the annihilator just went off instead of all that pesky pushing.