Three things that seem out of place

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by Antiglow, June 9, 2014.

1. Antiglow

Antiglow Well-Known Member

1. Teleporter: Move teleporter to t2 and make it cost a heck of a lot more. It is rather funny that interplanetary travel is easer than making a Pelican.
    2. Pelican: Move Pelican back to t1 and make it unable to transport commander.
    3. Astraeus: Make Astraeus unable travel back to orbital form planets with atmosphere. The only way it will be able to escape planets with atmosphere is with a rocket (like kickstarter trailer).
    Other than those I am loving the current direction of the game, especially the new PTE balance build.
    Let me know what you guys/girls think in the comments. Do you find these three things odd too?

I know that some of these are assumed/said to be coming, I just wanted to reiterate.
    Last edited: June 10, 2014
  2. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Yes.

Yes.

YES.
    emraldis, PeggleFrank and tatsujb like this.
  3. Antiglow

moved to original post
  4. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

[​IMG]
    PeggleFrank and tatsujb like this.
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I don't like the teleporter being expensive. I like the idea of interplanetary travel being easy and common. If there's too big of a barrier between traveling between planets, it won't happen very often. That's how things were when interplanetary travel is expensive. People didn't travel between planets nearly as much as they do now. And it's a good thing that we travel between planets a lot.

I doubt the Pelican will go to T1. Or at least, I doubt Uber will make it so the Pelican can't pick up the Commander. That would be unintuitive. Players couldn't just look at everything and understand that the Pelican can't move the Commander.

I do agree that the Astraeus should be one way. Then it could be even cheaper. I've been advocating for a 1 way Astraeus for a long time.

Why do you think there should be more of a barrier between planets?
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  6. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

those changes were done for pace reasons ... also reason pelican is and will likely stay t2 to avoid early tanky unit drops as it was the case with vanguards ...
    and while i agree the austreus should require orbital launchers (no matter the atmosphere) to generaly launch of
    we shouldn´t make planetary travel unneccesarily difficult unless having the content to make up for that
  7. Antiglow

I do not want there to be more of a barrier between planet, in fact I think that there should be less of one. I just feel that the teleporter should be an end-game structure. interplanetary interactions should be done through orbital not through "magical teleporters" it takes away the need for interplanetary travel. might as well be playing on 4 different round maps with no relation to each other, other than teleporters the way most games are going now.
    It is pretty easy to see that a little aircraft like that should not be able to pick up something that big.... that is the main reason I said "unable to transport commander", not for "balance reasons"

With the new balance changes vanguard drops are less likely to happen as early in game as they once did. instead of t2 coming out at 5-7 min it is coming out 12 to 15 min in normal games. Thus leaving only inferno drops viable early and with some careful editing of the price and the mechanics of the Pelican this should be fine. (price being a little higher and mechanics being actually landing to unload units thus having plenty of time to get shot down in the process.)

that is actually what I am trying to push. we need more orbital / other unique content to make interplanetary interaction more ... interesting and strategic and not so for lack of a better word, boring. Also that is why I said "assumed/said to be coming" and "temporary fix" in the main post.
    Last edited: June 10, 2014
    emraldis, PeggleFrank and DalekDan like this.
  8. waterlimon

waterlimon Member

The teleports could be split into a source and a destination.

The source would be relatively expensive, and would take energy. However, the destination teleports would be cheap, fastish to build and not really expensive in terms of energy either.

This might add some more weighty strategical decisions since the teleports would be one directional unless you bother to build more of the expensive source teleports. Not nice sending your entire army to another planet and then getting your base assaulted with no way to get the troops back.
    aapl2, Antiglow and PeggleFrank like this.
  9. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

1. Trust me, it's better that interplanetary is easier, although I must say we can limit it to moons. And have a t2 unit transport that can go between planets
    Because even us humans (ugh) are able to go to the moon, but mars? Lol

2. They just swarm to much, just get rid of this ridiculous pelican and add a unit that has multiple unit transport capabilities, stronger hull and slower.

3. I disagree, that is a lot of micromanagment that serves little purpose and sounds like it would be annoying in game.
  10. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Not necessarily. Even though I don't agree with the suggested implementation either.

Since they managed to fix the unit canon internally: Expected behavior for "Astreus" would be to load units into orbital launcher, rather than picking them up. Just as the unit canon does.

Prebuild "Astreus" are treated as "ammunition", and enqueued units consume an "Astreus" for launch. On drop, the Astreus is destroyed. So what you are paying for is actually the launch of an unit to orbital, rather than the orbital transporter.

This also allows to actually streamline the interplanetary travel, just set Astreus production to endless (so there is always one one stock), enqueue movement command to other planet and set your factories rally points to the orbital launcher.

Units enter the launcher, get launched and automatically dropped on the other planet. Works exactly(!!!) the same as unit canons, except for the added ability to escape gravity well and to regroup before unit drops.

Launching multiple small(!) units in an single rocket would also be legit.
  11. trialq

trialq Post Master General

The teleporter is great the way it is. It used to be a pain to build in many ways, and it wasn't good to play with.

Yes please. People can spout wysiwyg all they like, I'd like to see a t1 transport for 'light' stuff (aka bots only), and a t2 transport which can transport everything.

I have no solid opinion.
  12. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

You really don't need a basic transport.

You can build factory's anywhere, and having your armys position actually matter is a hell of a lot better then having a flying army which can remove any sense of planning attacks on a opponents weak points.
  13. trialq

trialq Post Master General

Taking lava islands as an example, an opponent going heavy aa light anti-ground can be hard to penetrate with air alone, but a cheap transport might be able to get some fabbers down to build a teleporter.
  14. igncom1

The transports from the T2 factory are cheap, very cheap in fact.

But frankly, such terrain is basically designed to be impenetrable.

Asteroid the planet.
  15. superouman

superouman Post Master General

The pelican can be moved to T1 if it moves slower than a fighter.
  16. igncom1

Im just not sure I like the idea of people being able to add that kind of mobility to their army so early on in a game.
  17. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Lower Acceleration, lower top speed, lower turn speed, increase cost.

Worked fine for us. Then again, RCBM has a lot of other changes too... might not work so well for Uber's balance paradigm... but I'd still reckon it's worth a shot.
    igncom1 likes this.
  18. igncom1

Fair enough I suppose, I can't keep ever units statistic in my head.

Im still a supporter of leaving support units in T2 as a reward for the cost, allowing players to choose how to compliment their existing T1 combined arms army.
  19. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Reward based on the cost of a unit just feels wrong to me, as opposed to reward based on strategic thinking. But, to each his own.
    Antiglow and igncom1 like this.
  20. igncom1

Yeah it's not the best balance thing in the world.

Id probably prefer time or costs to keep operation once it has been constructed.