Thoughts on playing as Support

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by Decker87, February 6, 2011.

1. Decker87

Decker87 New Member

I just bought this game a few days ago, and I've really just played support. I'm now level 40, and I'd like to hear your thoughts on my thoughts.

Item 1: Assassins grappling near a level 3 turret are retarded. I've gotten so many kills from being grappled - meanwhile my level 3 firebase is shooting at the assassin the whole time. Since I have the gold armor endorsement, I survive the attack 50% of the time, then finish 'em off with my hurt gun. Since I'm standing next to the firebase, I heal while doing it. Thanks, dumb assassin.

Item 2: I love aggressive assaults and gunners. I like to stand out-of-the way while overhealing them, while they engage 1 or 2 pro's. Here's an idea for the game: give the support a bonus when a teammate survives a hit due to being overhealed, that they would have overwise died from.

Item 3: The firebase rocks. It's great to put in an area of medium traffic, where pro's occassionally pass through, but don't overwhelm the area. If you can hide it well (edges of overhead passways are good spots) and hack it, AND heal it safely, you can rack up some kills.

Item 4: Other classes, particularly tank/assault/gunner, NEED to realize that when a support is healing you, it's time to ******* go. I don't care if your health is at 90%, if I'm in the process of (over)healing you, run out there and shoot someone.

Item 5: If you play support and your health drops to 10% or less, throw an airstrike. Don't think, just throw it. Every now and then you get a surprise kill after death.

(EDIT) Item 6: Use the airstrike like a throwing grenade. You can actually throw it pretty far, and it's better to do so if you don't have any immediate use.

Do you have anything to add about the role of the support class?
    Last edited: February 6, 2011
  2. iammclovin117

iammclovin117 Active Member

Being a 360 Vet and Just started downloading PC, all the ways you list the Support is the way i play. Its a great class man.
  3. goathax

goathax New Member

I prefer dropping a firebase somewhere hidden where it can cut off a bot lane. The further forward, the better -- even right up to near the bot spawn itself, since a lot of players will rush out into the fight and never notice the bots are being chopped down.

Benefits:
    1) Firebase is more likely to survive 'cause it's not drawing pros' attention.
    2) Makes a hell of a lot of money
    3) Most importantly, it makes one bot lane almost totally uncontested. (Except for pros, of course.)
  4. Decker87

Decker87 New Member

Really? How the heck do you get that close? Also, I really doubt the pros would fail to notice a firebase right at their spawnpoint.
  5. Decker87

Decker87 New Member

Here's a question for you: have you ever successfully hacked an enemy turret? I've never been able to, even with juice.
  6. goathax

goathax New Member

Depends on the map. Not all the bot spawns are right by the pro spawns. It's pretty easy on Spunky Cola and GrenADEiii, though on the latter, it's pretty much impossible not to draw pros' attention. But there's a few spots you can tuck it where they'll have a hell of a time bringing it down. You can pull it off with limited success on Lazer Razor, but I really think controlling mid is more important on that map.
  7. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

In Spunky Cola Arena, you can hide a firebase behind the wall and hack it to level 2 or greater (assuming you are capable of sneaking behind the wall without being seen), and it will not draw attention while assassinating bots.

On LazorRazor Arena, you can place a firebase where it will hit both bot lanes, several places down the bot lane. One is by each base, at the end of a piece of glass that sticks out of the moneyball ring. The other is in the center, which actually ends up being the least noticeable spot, as you can place it under a side bridge.

If enemies are not smart enough to walk with bots or watch the bots walk the entire length of the field, they will almost never notice that the bots are not reaching the objective, no matter how much time they have your turrets down for.

Where are the bots going? ;) Are they going on vacation? They surely are not going to the enemy's moneyball. :|
  8. zanarias

zanarias Member

The fact that the word "shotgun" has not appeared in this thread once both saddens and disappoints me.
  9. Esham

Esham New Member

hacking turrets is kind of hard. You need a distraction or you will die.

two common ways to do it is have a tank or assassin stun the turret for you or toss out your firebase as bait while you hack. You must have hack 3 to even bother trying though since without it takes eons.

Also jackbots can make great distractions too.
  10. Decker87

Decker87 New Member

I was actually going to ask about that. I basically never use it. Any tips?
  11. traitormagnus

traitormagnus Member

Every time I've done it there's been a really good distraction, like a juiced teammate.
  12. Decker87

Decker87 New Member

I'm still new - can you elaborate on which wall you mean?
    [​IMG]
  13. StriderHoang

StriderHoang New Member

If you want to use juice offensively and find no reason to use it (asides from using it defensively of course) you can juice rush and hack a turret if there aren't pros around.

Also, on number 4, I know I'm being healed because my health is going up. I think the tanks and gunners you're healing are just pussies.
  14. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

I place my firebase at the top-right corner of the map if I am playing for the Hotshots.

Enemies seldomly notice the firebase if it is placed there, even though it will kill the bots.
  15. st0nedpenguin

st0nedpenguin New Member

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!

Start using it.

Now.

NOW.
  16. Decker87

Decker87 New Member

Not to be a ****, but this doesn't really help. Do you have tips on using it? i.e., the best situations to use it?
  17. timmy TED

timmy TED New Member

when you thick your life is in danger change to the shotgun
    if you hear the assassin hum pull out the shotgun
  18. Marmalade

Marmalade New Member

The best situation to use it is when you have an enemy standing close to you, duh. Then you aim the crosshair at them and shoot.
    Seriously try it, it is probably the easiest weapon to use in the whole game.
    Also, backstabbing supports who are camping near their firebase is awesome. I like how they feel all protected by their little turret and are completely clueless about how ridiculously little damage the firebase inflicts during a grapple.
  19. timmy TED

timmy TED New Member

except the HH gun
  20. iammclovin117

iammclovin117 Active Member

About 5-8 times. LVL1-2 Lazerblazers and LVL1-2 Long Shots are the best, but try hack when the Turret it when its being Upgraded past 1.