They Don't All Have To Be Robots, Lifeforms Can Be Created

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by thetrophysystem, November 13, 2012.

1. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

We known since the 1950s that we can "play God".

That being said, could there be units that are fabricated living things? Things created in a factory, made of living parts?

For instance, a brain is just a computer network of neurons. Could a brain be fabricated to be the operating system of a robot? It could be designed and fabricated to work just like a computer in every way theoretically.

Living tissue, in tandem with metal could be used to "heal" over parts damaged in combat.

Just sounded like an original idea to discuss.
  2. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

Re: They Don't All Have To Be Robots, Lifeforms Can Be Creat

No it sounds like a old idea xD.

Cyborg's and machines that has living flesh parts is nothing new. However im not sure it would fit the small amounts of lore we have been given about PA.
  3. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

What's the point of using squishy flesh over a superior monomolecular robot chassis?

I guess saving metal might be handy... but organic creatures tend to only work within a very narrow range of environments. Big things might only work on lush green worlds, or ocean type environments, but dead worlds are just better for bots.
  4. evil713

evil713 New Member

i could kinda see organic lifeforms on the planets as a sort of local hazard, like ocean planets get the lochness, ice planets get yeti, gas planets get dragons, metal gets slime cubes.
  5. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Organic technology is inefficient and quick to bruise.

TA technology suggests the use of ARM clone soldiers and spider nerve cells to make war machines function, the core used engrams to pilot their stuff.

If we expand on the ARM's use of spiders to create the spider tanks then we could create units that mimic the functions of animals to create superior fighting machines.

In sort, creating organic like technology.
  6. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Organic tech, given the right environment, is also CHEAP. How much metal does a laser shooting dinosaur really need? :roll:

There could very well be a place for organic units in game. Low metal, high energy, easy terrain pathing, doesn't work well in hostile environments, etc. All of these things sound like great aspects to have in the early game. As a planet gets torn apart, the atmosphere polluted, etcetc., they would become less viable as the battlefield becomes too hostile.

In effect, it creates a special class of unit for a certain type of battle, with an inherent obsolescence. Might be kool.
  7. jurgenvonjurgensen

jurgenvonjurgensen Active Member

This was the worst thing about Supreme Commander 2*. The last thing PA needs is trying to justify why people are messing around with organics when they already possess the technology to make tanks that spam antimatter bombs like they're buckshot in seconds from only trees and rocks.

*Actually that's a lie, but only due to the field for the title of "worst thing in SC2" is full of so many tough contenders.
  8. igncom1

I beg to differ, while silly the Rex is a good unit with decent DPS.

Now the balancing of aircraft is the worst thing.
  9. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

That damn T-Rex.

For me it COMPLETELY broke any immersion in supcom 2, i hate that damn thing.
  10. igncom1

I will agree with that, but really I have never understood people wanting games to be all serious and non-lighthearted.

War isn't fun, so why make a game into something that comes close to resembling it.
  11. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

It is a game and should be fun to play, right?

I don't like the T-Rex. But I love spiderbots. And I realy love spidertanks. Like this:

http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/art ... 327441.jpg

Today's technology is based partly on animals. The design of planes are copied from birds.
  12. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

I love the spiderbots too xD. Becuse they are funny (and awsome btw) but still somewhat believable, aloot of advanced tech stuff irl is based on nature, but the giant semi metalic fire breathing T-Rex is just to much.
  13. igncom1

Well the cybrans are cybernetic people, so why not cybernetic animals? hehe.

And anyway, even Mass Effect 3 had you collecting the bones of a giant lizard so you could breed battle mounts for Krogans on acid worlds.
  14. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

But its a firebreathing semi metalic T-Rex! :shock:

I mean this is a alien species that just happens to look like what we image a T-Rex would look like, they slap a metalic armor on it, and it breaths fire... In a science fiction game were every other unit seems to be a robot.
  15. igncom1

Exactly! :lol:
  16. chrishaldor

chrishaldor Member

I must've missed that part o_O
  17. igncom1

Its was a side mission, and you don't get to see them unfortunately.

But I do remember laughing hysterically at the idea.
  18. jurgenvonjurgensen

jurgenvonjurgensen Active Member

Of course you don't understand that, because you hate nice things. It's not about whether or not it's 'serious' or not, it's about the fact that whoever put it in clearly doesn't care about establishing any consistent level of tone (It's not just the C. Rex, but it's the most obvious example). It'd be just as problematic if Supreme Commander had been a light-hearted series with robots that look like they just got off the set of Wall-E and then had one mission where they accidentally fired a strategic missile at a populated city killing a hundred million innocent people, and then the game tried to carry on the same fun happy tone it had had before as if that wasn't even important*.
  19. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Exactly.

There also the fact that I know what they were trying to do with the Crex, because I already did it, and did it better.

Mike
  20. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

In order to have interesting fan fiction stories, I already plan to have it in my lore that units are robotic, but have human or near human brains, ala Arm in TA. Though I suppose Core having once human minds in machines would work too.