[Theory Crafting]Differentiating the Scamper(dox) and the Grenadier.

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by squishypon3, May 15, 2014.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Hey at this moment I can't access the values for all of the units so this'll be forced to be simple theory crafting.

Okay, to the point: We all know the Grenadier feels like an upgrade to the dox. It excels. What do I suggest to help fix this problem you may ask? Well I suggest we make a few changes to the two.

The dox should be faster than the grenadier, even just by 1, anything. It should also be more direct fire, atm even the dox has a slight arc which should be with tanks if anything. It should do less damage but with a faster fire rate; no aoe. The grenadier has its high arc to go over walls and does high aoe damage but fires slower. The point of this is to actually even out dps but with two separate roles so both will be viable. The grenadier also may deserve a slight health buff because of its higher vulnerability to single unit attacks.

What do you guys think? Any ideas to further change them?
    websterx01 likes this.
  2. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Belongs in balance discussion.
    You can check individual units stats here. Here you can see that the grenadier has 4x the dps of a dox, for example.
    For more detailed information, you can check the units' .json files in stable/media/units
  3. squishypon3

Whoops, where did I post it? Oh- general.. Sorry, I'll contact an admin.

And yes I know how to check the .json files but at the moment I'm not home.
  4. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

I'd rather have the Dox as it is and the Grenadier as more of an artillery bot than a grenadier; more like the T1 Artillery bots of TA.
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

The grenadier is supposed to be anti-building, so it should have a low rate of fire and high alpha damage.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  6. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Yup, that's what squishy said.

I agree with your changes, but I believe the numbers have to be worked out, then off course tested, and repeated. But they are very alike.
  7. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Maybe even a visible "ammo system" and meter and everything. And it regens like t1 bombers. So basically, make them deploy the damage of t1 bombers, but do so as a land unit.

If they did exactly what t1 bombers did, I would be satisfied, it is quite a diversification to be able to do that, at the cost of speed and air immunity, but for the perk of ground deployment and range hit.

The in-itself balance would be, with that limit on their firepower, they would be used to hit buildings and possibly snipe lone fabbers, but they couldn't do steady dps or whail on many structures at once, it would be hit and win. What do t1 bombers do, like half the dps of dox?
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    websterx01 likes this.
  8. elodea

elodea Post Master General

I would rather they make the projectile speed slower so we actually have a unique unit, instead of some glorified gil-e.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  9. squishypon3

I haven't really felt any need to compare the Grenadier and the sniper bot if anything the sniper is technically more like the dox as it's direct fire :l
  10. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Low rate of fire combined with a really high firing arc. They would become mortars instead of grenadiers, but at least they would be different.
  11. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

There are already two discussions about this in balance. Please just search and bump.
  12. squishypon3

I mean't to put this in the balance forums and had thought I had but I... hadn't...

Edit: A move request has been made. :p
  13. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Grenadier should be slow that you can't kite with it, at the very least. It also needs a higher arc.
  14. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

higher arc i would agree ... but slower .... nah .. in that case it might aswell be a tank/vehicle ... but that would have been less intresting ...
  15. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

I know. I am referring to the move request.
  16. Taxman66

Taxman66 Well-Known Member

Why not substitute the ballistic projectiles with unguided rockets? Grenadiers are meant to counter defences and buildings, by shooting over walls etc. They should launch a few rockets every second with pretty bad accuracy, accompanied with a bit of an arc. However, they should do some substantial damage as brian said.