the whole apple vs fbi debacle

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by tatsujb, March 14, 2016.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

2. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

Not available in my country.
    Last edited: March 14, 2016
  3. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Last edited: March 15, 2016
  4. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

It's hardly a debacle. For as much as I dislike Apple, their products, their business ethics (then again name a business ethic that I actually like, hah) and their consumerism-focused marketing hype, they are completely within rights to refuse to give a government agency famed for, um, "less than noble" acts a universal backdoor to an ecosystem that advertises itself on security over the competition.

There's a reason why the FBI don't need to do this for Android phones. They're already wide open, and that's the consequence I accept ahead of time using an Android phone. There is zero evidence that attackers in the future will remain using a branded "iPhone" when committing such horrific acts, and the exposure of this case, and FBI's attempted dragging of Apple through the mud, is only going to make potential offenders more wary of using iDevices in general.

It's a complete non-starter, but with the weight of the US government thrown behind it. Blargh.
  5. Devak

Devak Post Master General

If they hadn't botched it with this Iphone, the FBI wouldn't have needed to sue them anyway.

Literally the only difference with Android is that the FBI fucked up the one chance it had, and locked themselves out.
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

wow.

I never even though to think of it this way O.O

mind blown.
  7. Devak

Devak Post Master General

But thats what happened, isnt it? They had the phone but changed the password. Apple was going to unlock it for them and noticed it was tampered with after confiscation
    tatsujb likes this.