The unsolved case of the spontaneously combusting commander

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by drz1, February 28, 2014.

1. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Hi all,
    I was watching a livestream last night (gotta love the Twitch links in the main menu now!) and someone was playing PA for the first time. Despite it being excruciating to watch, what with all the new lobby bugs and generating planet freeze ups, he managed to get a couple of games in.
    My question is, how did he get annihilated at 2:09.30 of this video: http://www.twitch.tv/madmacgames/b/506866414
    He's building stuff with his comm, everything seems fine, then boom. gone.
    I wasn't paying attention the whole time, but I'm pretty sure it was either a free for all or an alliance game, so don't think the comm could just get deleted. Also, I think he was at full health, so one nuke wouldn't have killed him straight out.
    I may well be missing something obvious, but was just wondering if any sleuths out there could discover the answer to this mystery.
    P.S. It's a shame, because it put him off the game a little bit, getting destroyed so out of the blue...
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

watching......but I'm guessing a mishap 'delete' key press.

EDIT : comfirmed "hang on I hit a button that's why" 2:09:14
    Last edited: February 28, 2014
    EdWood likes this.
  3. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Yeh that's what I thought, but he doesn't even have the comm selected, if I recall...
  4. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I hope the devs watch a lot of these streams people put up of their first game. It could really help to nail down the UI so that new players don't get so lost.
    drz1 likes this.
  5. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Or make the tutorial video mandatory ;)
  6. cptconundrum

NO!!! Then I would need to watch it every time I clear my local storage.
    drz1 likes this.
  7. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

so you think he pressed delete and it took ages to relay that as a commander exploding? Delete doesn't seem like an obvious button to press, no matter what you are doing :/
  8. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

drz1 likes this.
  9. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Thanks, seems he accidentally deleted his commander then. They should really put a warning somewhere "CAUTION: Do not delete" :p
    cptconundrum likes this.
  10. cptconundrum

This guy somehow managed to press every button on his keyboard at one point or another.
    drz1 likes this.
  11. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

haha I get that. Usually I think I'm typing in chat...
  12. aevs

aevs Post Master General

The tutorial video basically says "build robots, attack things, explosions" (unless they've changed it very recently). It isn't at all useful for new players. It doesn't tell you you can hold shift to string commands, that you can issue area commands by dragging, how the transport system works, how to turn on continuous build, how to remove units from a factory's queue, what units work best in what roles, etc.
    PA will need a proper tutorial eventually, because without one new players might get frustrated and/or give up.
    drz1 likes this.
  13. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

I wonder how annoying in game tips would be...
    Such as, if you were playing for the first time and put a factory down, a little tip pops up, where the alerts usually are, and says "You can set an infinite loop by pressing the line button, and set waypoints by right clicking where you want units to wait".
    I wouldn't find it intrusive, and it would be useful for new players. Perhaps have it default ON and you can toggle it off in the settings.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  14. cptconundrum

That's a really good idea as long as we can easily turn them off. They would need to be turned off through settings as well as have a "Don't show me this again" button on each popup to turn off that particular tip.
    drz1 likes this.