The Uber Cannon should fire in an Arc

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by stuart98, May 20, 2014.

1. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Because trees OP.
    tohron likes this.
  2. errornouser

errornouser New Member

Alternatively to giving it a high ballistic arc, they could give it some degree of penetration like how the D-Gun worked in Total Annihilation.

My memory is a little vague on it but I believe it would fire its projectile in a straight line, and when it hit its target (or the ground when ground fired or if it missed its target) it would continue on that straight line a little further as if it were digging a trench through the terrain and blasting away enemies, trees and wreckage in its path.

I couldn't find a video of it in action where exploding units didn't obscure the effect… until I found this, skip to 1:57 for the D-Gun firing. There's also shots of a commander kicking down a tree with his mighty foot, fire burning trees down and bucketloads of nostalgia.

I'd like it if the Uber Cannon worked like that but I also like it the way it now where every now and again you fire off an Uber cannon and the projectile goes on a big squiggly spirally path, flies around the commander a little bit and then just lands wherever it feels like it instead of following any kind of sane ballistic or beam trajectory, I'll miss that when it's gone :)
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
  3. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

They should just make it so the the Uber Cannon blasts straight through the tress! That's what I would expect an Uber Cannon to do anyway. BEWARE THE UBER CANNON... it is UBER!
  4. Xagar

Xagar Active Member

Yeah, in TA there was a setting only used in some mods and on the Dgun that turned off the projectile disappearing when it hit a target. Instead it kept going until it timed out, which made a very cool dynamic of having a nearly point-blank Dgun have a devastating linear AoE, while a max-range shot would only land once.

I'd love to see that come back somehow.
  5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Also, it might hit the ground clicked.

Because it is literally supposed to do that, not swirl and hit randomly somewhere.

Both UP when a tank blob scores a pop entirely due to this, and OP when a commander scores a hit on a fabber building a turret from twice his UGun range.
  6. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Active Member

On a low radius planet, you can shoot up and over short structures like walls with the uber cannon. It's quite interesting, but makes commander dueling a lot easier.

Maybe give the commander an option between a long-range artillery shot with high splash and lower damage, or a short-range burst shot that deals high damage. It would make defending against early-game dox armies easier, and it would make inferno/vanguards slightly less powerful against commanders.