The return of the endless tank factory spam

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by mered4, February 25, 2014.

1. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

So with this patch I've started to realize that (barring the pesky interference of t2 air rushes/used at all) throwing down a queue for 15 -20 tank factories is actually a viable strategy.

Amazing. Simply AMAZING. I loved doing that back in the day, and I love it now. It's the ultimate war machine - a significant portion of your planet covered in pure war production.

What do you guys think? Love? Hate?
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Love, but wish for tools to make it easier on the management side.

I often find myself waiting to a group of factory's is finished before the select them all and give orders, so it would be nice to have a good way of setting them up as they are placed, or possibly having them copy another factory's build que.
  3. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

I'd love to do this, but I can't due to one word: gunships.

Scathis, hurry up with this T2 air nurf!
    beer4blood and cptconundrum like this.
  4. igncom1

We been talking a lot about it, but it has only been a week.
    drz1 likes this.
  5. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

One week too long.

I;m skimping on PA until air gets nerfed. If I was actually piloting an aircraft, I'd be enjoying this.

But i'm not. And it isn't enjoyable.

TAAANKS
    beer4blood and stuart98 like this.
  6. igncom1

Well you could play no air games with friends.
  7. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

I told you so!

I find it even works well against T2 air. Gunships do better than bombers but they get chewed up eventually too unless the gunship owner is microing them back home for repairs. You're just streaming crap at their base, including mobile AA, and it's grinding down the hit points of anything they try to put in your way. Make sure to send Shellers, too, as they are good at eating through walls and turrets.

People always try to argue that their gunships can wreck ground units but it always seems to go roughly the same way: their air force starts out strong, really crunching through the ground units but the ground units just don't stop coming. And an endless stream of air will not counter an endless stream of ground because you can send fabrication bots into your stream to start moving flak forward and that's the end of the air push, but there is nothing they can build that will stop your ground push with anything like the efficiency of flak.

The only real threat you face doing this is if you don't pay attention and get flanked by a big ground force. I usually keep a bot force and some air power on hand for emergency defense so that I don't have to interrupt the stream to deal with flanking attack.

I also think the recent economy changes make this a lot more viable. Building metal extractors is super cheap, so I find it pretty hard to keep up with energy. Well, the second most efficient energy user in the game is a factory (the commander is the #1 most efficient), so having a ton of factories is an easier way to get your metal in use than a ton of fabrication bots.
  8. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Yeh, it feels like everything that needs to be said on T2 air has pretty much been said until Scathis balances it in the next (or next next) patch. I'm optimistic though :)
    Also, +1 for tank spam :D
  9. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

Have you had a look at this?
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel-auto-factory.55995/

Its not quite what your asking for, but it definitely helps.
    Quitch and igncom1 like this.
  10. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Use the Auto Factory mod.

EDIT: Someone said you could delete posts. Damn liar!

And I love that the ground game came back, but it's not like in the 2013 era when it was all Ants all the time, I see large bot forces, and people are playing around with units like the Inferno.
  11. igncom1

I like it, but feel it's a little.....shoddy?
  12. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

I think bot vs vehicle is pretty good right now. Vehicles are simply better than bots now except in speed. Which is a big "except". You don't build vehicles and expect to do anything remotely sneaky with them. The enemy is not likely to be surprised by tanks. Whether he can stop them is another question. Tank stats are better and they are tremendously better against organized defenses.

Whereas bots are far superior for lightning attacks (and quick reaction defenses) but they fail pretty hard against an organized defense.
  13. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I expect the white template markers to be selectable and orderable like the building itself (so I can issue orders pre-built), and then we could do all kinds of stuff like assist factories with other factories and set unit build before factory is even started and stuff.

Hopeful on that.

Also if we have that, we can technically put something ahead of queue by ordering another unit to "assist" it or "repair" it and turning the original fabbers power-off so the other fabbers just build that building first before anything else is made. Then again, if they are selectable, it would make sense that buildings can have a queue line and can use shift or ctrl and up or down to reorder the line in which the buildings are done. Because sometimes we want to make something else come ahead of time like if we need power or metal or screw power and metal and just get that nuke going.
  14. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

Yes tanks are back especially T2 but air is still supreme, which is gay!
    stuart98 likes this.
  15. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

I agree with slamz bot vehicle relationship is pretty good atm. I like using bots for distractions and air dropping vehicles in people's buttholes.
  16. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

[​IMG]
    UNACCEEEEEPTABLLLEEEEEEE!!!!!!
  17. l3tuce

l3tuce Active Member

I want to be able to drag a line of factories and have them all start autobuilding tanks on infinite as soon as they are ready.
  18. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

You can! I have a screenshot of it. If I'm in Gamma issues and Bugs, I can delete posts. Otherwise I can't.
  19. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Auto Factory mod.
  20. igncom1

It does have preset things for the factory to build, and that's not always what people what to set up.

Also, just quoting the mod all of the time is getting a little old don't you think?