The Ramifications of a longer spawn time

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by NeoCyberman, May 13, 2011.

1. NeoCyberman

NeoCyberman Active Member

I've been hearing some interesting arguments on having a longer spawn time. I've tried to look at it from different angles.

In Theory

It could make killing a player more worthwhile. Right now it is good to prioritize on bots then players going for you bots and turrets and turrets switching up depending on your class and situation. The problem is that it is too easy for a bot killing pro to come back and finish off you bot wave before you can finish clearing a path for those bots

Making the re-spawn timer longer would make sure that the murderer in question would be able to progress further thus making kills meaningful. I do understand that the traditional player killing classes (Sniper, Gunner, Assault) would receive sort of a buff from this which means that it would need to be tested over a series of matches.
  2. arseface

arseface Post Master General

Serverside control of respawn times would be nice.

I'm not sure universal changes are necessary though. I like the game to be bot-central.
  3. Vexel

Vexel New Member

Exactly what this game needs! Less incentive for teamwork and more for kill wh*ring. I always thought one of this game's biggest faults was not being deathmatch-ey enough. Fewer bot pushers on the field is always a plus too.

It also fixes the problem of newbies not spending enough time waiting to respawn. That way, they can reflect on what they've learned longer because there's no possibility they'll get frustrated and quit to play another game. I'm all for this.
  4. NeoCyberman

Your sarcasm hurts me.

I dont mean to put more stress on killing other players and then dragging attention away from bots. I just wish that it was not that hard to suppress the opposing team.
  5. DelBoy

DelBoy New Member

As viable as it sounds, I'm tired enough of TF2's long respawn times, and MNC's substantially shorter ones just make the game much more enjoyable. Otherwise, newbies won't just have to deal with getting hit hard by the vets, but will now have to deal with being dead for half of the match as well. That's just not fun.

I mean, what are you going to do during a longer respawn time other than looking at the overhead map with the bots and such? It's not like the game currently has a spectate or instant replay feature. Just putting it out there for you fellers.
  6. Lyrae

Lyrae New Member

This is why a large number (at least it seems large to me) of TF2 servers have fast respawns enabled - it sucks being dead for a large portion of the match because the other team is full of players far better at PvP than you.

Serverside control of spawn times would be a wonderful addition to the configurable options in MNC.

EDIT: Perhaps a one-life powerup that halves your next respawn time? Gets dropped by jackbots/bullseye/juicebot? A little stopwatch or something.
  7. NeoCyberman

So it seems longer spawn times would make it harder for newer players to pick up and if the match is going bad then spawn time increases make things worse.
  8. eternal

eternal New Member

This has been discussed before, and I still stand by the idea of upping the time.

The issue is HOW MUCH of an increase. Many of you are assuming that anyone wanting to increase the time is talking about increasing it to like 25seconds.

The current respawn time is around 7-8seconds.

Increase that to around 12-14 and I think you'll see a big improvement in how the game flows. The time is enough that players are somewhat punished for death, but not enough to actually be irritating.

Another option is to create a system where players are punished for repeated deaths over short periods of time to discourage suicide rushing the moneyball. This would be done by having the spawn time increase cumulatively based on how long between spawning and dying there was.
  9. RayHanley

RayHanley New Member

i'd say this is legit though

wow i never knew respawn was 7-8 seconds. feels like 5 seconds to me lol. i have no problem increasing it a little
  10. NeoCyberman

Feels like 4 to me.
  11. DelBoy

DelBoy New Member

I don't know about you two, but I just watch the countdown timer and it usually feels like what it says on it. :lol:

Seeing as how the moneyball resets after 30 seconds, this respawn time add-up will result in having to rely on your team mates to carry on keeping it down instead of you dieing and then respawning again to quickly rush to the thing. Could be a good thing, but mostly bad in pubs.
  12. RayHanley

RayHanley New Member

yea i know there's a timer, i meant it "feels" shorter, which i'm implying respawning is not painful at all in this game
  13. eternal

eternal New Member

*must... resist...*

thats...

what...

she said.....

DAMNIT!
  14. salomdi

salomdi Active Member

the respawn timer seems to be on a wave respawn for me, with a maximum timer of 8 seconds. i have respawned instantly before.