The problem with Planetary Annihilation's current balance direction

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by stuart98, February 4, 2015.

1. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

2. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

not to mention the assist command is the most important command in high-level play =P
    stuart98 likes this.
  3. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

cola_colin likes this.
  4. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

You clearly haven't played GG that much.
    It is a ******* micro fest, planetary annihilation isn't. You can make it to be so. Increasing the effectiveness of your units, that is where the skill gap resides, either you like it or not. Just play with the goo a match and tell me it isn't a micro fest....
  5. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Only at higher levels micro comes to play, and even then it is early game. For anybody out of the top 20 I would say a build order and a good strategic mind is all that is needed. Biggest problem i see in a lot of players is them not knowing how to attack, what to attack and when to attack and put pressure on players. This is nothing to do with micro.
    Last edited: February 4, 2015
  6. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

A big part of all the micro in the game is units build way to fast and have small hp pools. If those two things were adjusted the game would be much more enjoyable. Check out Company of Heroes 2 if you want a good rts to play competitively that doesn't involve a lot of micro. It's more about strategies, map utilization, unit build orders and map control. Also what commander you choose can vastly change the way the game plays.
  7. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

I've seen some videos of GG and those mother goos going down a hill eating enemies look really micro intense.

blightedmythos, I think you are confused about micro and macro. Your post is much more logical if you change micro for macro. With high HP you can micro units to keep them all alive the most time possible.
    I played CoH1 and microing a sniper you could kill tons of enemies and retreat to base if needed.
    DalekDan, MrTBSC and christer1966 like this.
  8. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

What the heck?! The latest patch were able to REMOVE **** micro stuff that was in the game---you no longer have to hardmicro hornets for example! And naval in general does simply work right now, instead of "perma-bugging" like before! (which ate tons of APM...)
  9. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

yes ... because what that guy says is vague as shi _t

or do you want to say we should turn botspeed into snailspeed f.e.? include a dotalike hotkeysystem for a 100+ units and structures?
    macroability is given through hotkeys .. that unit's are microable in PA does not make it a microgame .. it is a productionfocused game through and through .. it doesn't need "ballance" but functions that make macroing as easy as needed ...
    the biggest difference between grey goo and pa is that in gry goo yoz dont need builders ... you just build stuff whereever you have vision ... PA uses different constructureunits that you need to micro ...
    if you would want more macroability than that would mean you would need tabs that allow you to build stuff or sellect units without having to go to them ... that has nothing to do with ballance but adding functionality ...
    some micro will be always there with rallypoints or placing buildings ...
    jeffrobot likes this.
  10. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

Sorry everyone who didn't experience or know of the beta and some gamma patches before the release where the macro aspect for single planet play was much more intense and different then it is now, thus we old players who loved the large armies being sent every directions on attack moves orders or just move orders while expanding outwards while also grabbing T2 was a thing of beauty sure balance back then kept changing but there were a couple patches in which it was just right, and no one could figure out if dox were better then tanks, they both hard their pros and cons and a mix normally worked out very well... now in comparison the game seems to be much more micro intensive, certain armies can beat others due to micro of certain units while before that couldn't happen... not to mention expansion strats are kinda gone? idk how it happened might be due to power limitations as some have said or our smaller planets we play on now idk but we have a much different game then we had back then, some love some hate it xD I personally love the old patches it was great fun, but I also love the community so I will keep attemping to play the new releases probably more team play so I don't have to micro as much as I suck at it xD
  11. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

@stuart98 have you played or otherwise watched gameplay of grey goo?

The person doesn't know what macro means it seems.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  12. MrTBSC

doesn't mean grey goo has not its own ammount of macro with the beta or humans ... the goo itself is what is microheavy ... with humans and beta it seems fairly easy to produce units and structures ...

to me both games have their ways on how to handle macro ...

greygoo uses attachments in order to unlock tech for factories .. pa uses various fabbers .. which if you think about it is more microorientated ...

as for armymicro i would say both handle similar ...
    Last edited: February 4, 2015
  13. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

I suggest not putting too much thought into what random people on steam say. The current balance direction feels relatively macro-oriented to me, particularly at lower levels of skill. Higher level skill will always feature micro heavily no matter how much you try to avoid it.
    Nicb1, cola_colin, cdrkf and 2 others like this.
  14. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

Pfft, I can answer all those questions.
    1. always with infernos/vanguards, spinners, & combat fabbers
    2. attack everything
    3. attack always
  15. MrTBSC

juggernaughtcomp
  16. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Either that guys definition of micro/macro is flipped or he has never played grey goo.

As a heavy goo player, there are many ways the goo can both be microd and be microd against. Its similar to a single dox harassing your one engineer back in late beta.

Regardless, unless you know how to automate the goo's production (which isnt explained well), the goo are insanely micro intensive. PA is completely different, and the dox spam early game goes to show that. We don't have units that can't fire unless stopped, for example.
  17. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Only reason why it's like this is because of map size, doesn't come down to anything else.

It's balanced almost perfectly, the thread title should have been something about micro vs macro and what rules in the 1v1 matchmaking (micro, obviously, unless you play on Meso)
  18. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'd argue that 1v1 is the WRONG FORMAT for this game, through and through. Big team games are where you get multi-planet invasions, moon drops, and tense battles for superweapons.
    websterx01, philoscience and radongog like this.
  19. MrTBSC

i disagree ... i personaly don´t like teams to play ... to me it´s rather a matter of mapsize ...
    but again i like to refer to PA (technical) scaleability where i think there can be something for everyone ...
    it matters what map/system you play on ...
  20. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Totally agree on this: ShareArmy in PA is a cooperative dream as long as you´re doing voicechat with your teammates you´ll be able to build up Uber-AWESOME stuff!
    cdrkf and mered4 like this.