The PA Open, 1v1 Championship

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by oxide246, August 26, 2013.

1. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

Hey Everyone,

Last week I held a tournament which urm, didn't have much of a turnout. So I'm attempting this again at EU prime time! This is a just for fun tournament open to anyone which I will be holding at 5pm GMT on Sunday.

Games will be utilizing gentlemen's rules, and the same moon map used in Neptunio's Tournament:

Moon/Lava
    Seed 12929
    Radius 20
    Height Range 0
    Water Height 60
    Temperature 100

You can sign up here if you wish to participate. http://thewebexpat.com/pa/pa-tournament/index.php/tournament/12

Cheers!

EDIT: Please meet at the #planetaryannihilation IRC chat room before hand so we can co-ordinate. I've added the esper.net chat client to the website for convenience. http://thewebexpat.com/pa/pa-tournament/index.php/site/page/view/chat

EDIT 2: I've just expanded the tournament because there's 6 days to go and was only 3 spots left.
    Last edited: August 26, 2013
    superouman and Clopse like this.
  2. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

So you plan to do the entire first round at the same time or match after match? I could stream them if its one after another. Glad you took my advice for the tournament time :D
  3. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

I'm not really sure yet. Was gonna kind of wing it. It'll be at 1am my time, so my preference would be to get it over quickly, but if there's enough interest and people want to watch it streamed then happy to string the matches one after the other. As for the time advice, I'll reserve my thanks until the tournament fills :p
  4. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

i have no problem playing alittle sooner on the sunday if you like, i'll be pretty rusty so should be fun :D
  5. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

That'd be cool, I'll be able to relax and enjoy the rest of the tournament after you clean the floor with me. I'll make sure to get a bit of practise in before hand to try make it a little interesting for you ;)
  6. Clopse

Just realised there were more spots than 8. i'll go to the bottom half.
  7. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

Heh, that's because I just opened them ;) Lets get the word out and fill this puppy up!
  8. aeonsim

aeonsim Active Member

Sounds like fun, though I guess I'll have to wait for a later one the Black textures bug makes the game rather hard to play at the moment for me.

@oxide246 I take it you'll run these every few weeks for a while?
  9. superouman

superouman Post Master General

I'd prefer a randomized bracket so people like me won't take the easy part of the bracket :p
  10. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

I reckon I'll make this a weekly thing. Let's hope uber have the bug fixed soon.. the more the merrier!!

I'll try to get this feature added by Sunday.
  11. Clopse

Yeah I think randomized could be better to get the numbers in, if its not too much work. I don't think many newer less experienced players would like to sit down beside one of the better players.
  12. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

ill join if you join, although 5pm could be kinda pushing it for me, i think it will be ok though
  13. kingjohnvi

kingjohnvi Member

Ah I wish I could join. I hope you'll make more of these tournaments once the game goes into beta!
  14. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

I plan to continue to hold these tournaments weekly for the foreseeable future. The system I've built allows you to hold your own tournaments too so you don't have to rely on me to be making one.

We've got 8 people so far this week which I'm pleased about, but I'm guessing a big reason people aren't joining is because they don't want to get walloped by these high level players. It's hard to gauge without feedback, maybe I should do a low level "noob" tournament, or a 2v2 tournament next week, would anyone be interested in seeing that?
  15. Clopse

2v2 seems like a great idea, get all the main clans to enter too. :D
  16. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Remember for a public tournament a large number won't turn up!
  17. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

I would for sure be interested in a 2v2 tourney
  18. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

There'll probably be ways to reduce this by giving incentives to turn up, and maybe penalties for not. Once I get the ranking system in, I can do those kinds of things. That will only work as long as people care about earning points of course. Or maybe giving out small prizes might help too.

I'm just trying to ramp up a bit of a competitive scene here. So any tips are most welcome ;)
  19. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

2v2 is cool but remember it gets even harder to get people to turn up and play. I'm not trying to be negative just a bit realistic. Anything getting the competitive scene going is great.

If it's ok I'd like to try livestreaming the semis and finals.
  20. Clopse

Yeah good thinking. Something like register and don't show up and you cannot join the next cash tournament.