The lobbies make me very angry

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by killerkiwijuice, October 17, 2014.

1. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

There are so many flaws with the lobbies including:

1) Loading a huge system causes major lag, and ultimately causes people to leave, then bug-up the lobby even more.

2) Changing the game type (FFA or teams) resets the entire system and causes people to lag even more, then leave, and then bug the lobby. (that "failed to join game" ****)

3) Clicking ready right before a game starts causes the lobby to derp and not start the game past the loading screen with commanders. (EDIT OCTOBER 31 2014; Spectators also cause this to happen.)

4) If someone crashes, their ghost stays in the lobby and makes it impossible to tell if they are afk or have a **** PC.

5) Removing slots causes every player to un-ready which really becomes annoying when people are not paying attention to the lobby. Would be nice to have a ping feature.

6) The economy modifiers sometimes glitch and become only visible to the host.

7)
    Leaving a game or kicking someone bugs their slot and causes the "failed to join game" when someone else tries to join. (this is the big one)

Now my rant is over. I had to get this off my chest.
    Last edited: October 31, 2014
    xankar, nateious, guest1 and 10 others like this.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Don't load huge systems if your PC can't handle it? :l
    Timevans999 likes this.
  3. killerkiwijuice

My PC can handle it just fine, but the lobby can't. It's only laggy in the lobby when the blue icon is loading. Happens to everyone else in the lobby, chat gets delayed too. People leave because their PC becomes unresponsive.
    xankar, Twinstar and planktum like this.
  4. squishypon3

Well that's just a byproduct of generating a planet, I just sit there and wait for that radius 1000 to load, while my pa is constantly going from responsive to unresponsive. The game lags out my whole PC, but I can wait a minute or so.
  5. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Dont use Huge Systems then? O-o
  6. killerkiwijuice

Well, most people don't know that, and is why it's extremely hard to start a game with a big system/ lots of surface area.
  7. killerkiwijuice

SO basically, don't play PA? 8 planets should not be considered a big system. That still is not an excuse for what should be a seamless lobby experience.
  8. brandonpotter

Dont get your knickers in a twist :p PA is a long way from being completely optimized. Do small systems until things get tweaked :p
  9. killerkiwijuice

Well, there's a difference between being optimized and being broken. That's just what i think about the lobby system. Sorry if i sounded aggressive, it is just really annoying. Especially the "failed to join game".
    xankar and planktum like this.
  10. brandonpotter

I have yet to have that problem actually >-<
  11. planktum

planktum Post Master General

@KillerKiwiJuice has some good points and then people just say don't load big systems. That's not a fix, that's a cop out. He's not saying it needs to be fixed immediately but these issues will hopefully be addressed. Yes these are 1st world problems, everything on these forums are, but that's the point in the forums, so people need to stop getting their panties in a twist whenever someone criticizes an aspect of the game.
  12. killerkiwijuice

You are very very very very biased then :p If that happened to you on every game you try to join, i think you would be feeling just like me ;)
  13. squishypon3

Just so you know.

14 scale 200 planets is still less surface area than a scale 1200. So yeah, 8 planets isn't impossible.

Besides, why shouldn't it be considered large? Our solar system has eight planets? :p

(And that's including 4 gas giants!)
  14. squishypon3

But it's like playing a 32mb of RAM map of TA when you didn't have 32mb of RAM?

I only play single or double planet systems, they're the only systems I CAN play.

I'm a bit tired of people being annoyed over not playing what I consider a huuuuge system. :p
  15. mgmetal13

mgmetal13 Active Member

Are games not allowed to take a little time to load any more? Wow times have changed.
    cdrkf and DalekDan like this.
  16. killerkiwijuice

Well, that's still not really the point i was trying to convey. But it's large, although not like the 20 planet systems i see
  17. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

I have been pushing hard for lobby fixes, and @jables has been very receptive. I am making a note of your complaints and hopefully a future build will address these issues.
    ndm250, tunsel11, websterx01 and 37 others like this.
  18. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Guys, a likes per post ratio of nearly 3 isn't enough for Sorian. Moar likes.
  19. bluestrike01

bluestrike01 Active Member

The game preloads the level so changing the system makes everybody reload so the game can launch right away.
    (there has been a while where the preload didn't work and you had those long waits after game launch)
    It gets anoying when someone is switching huge systems alot :)
    Unless you are talking about something else but then I haven't expirienced it myself.
  20. Zainny

Zainny Active Member

You should really consider looking at a lot of these different screens with a fresh set of eyes..eg. For example, the game has practically no tooltips anywhere. For the longest time I had no idea what the economy multiplier symbol did in the lobby screen...it was only after reading forums that I learned what it was. I bet there are tons of people out there who don't realize what this does, and also don't realize this can be used as an additional way to control the AI difficulty (I've read quite a few people saying they're having trouble with the AI even on normal...)

Also, often when you set a password on your lobby it will often disappear if you then do other interactions with the UI.

Also, would really love to see the ability to have some control over the type of system that gets auto-generated when you press New System - size preference, # planets preference, etc.
    Kryoclasm likes this.