The Legonian Machine

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by vyolin, March 22, 2014.

1. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    @pa matches

Not having followed the faction polls too closely in conjunction with their respective threads having long since disappeared into the ether my mind was most exquisitely boggled when I came across the 'Legonis Machina'-faction picture.
    Do not get me wrong here, I do like me some pseudo-Latin every now and then - looking at you, High Gothic - but this is a tad too much for me in the light of its 'official' translation.
    I could get behind the notion of losing an 'i' over the course of several millennia, bits tend to topple over every now and again, as silly as the result may look. But reversing the syntactic (and thus semantic) relation between the two words leaves me wondering whether to giggle or sigh. It even gives me Supreme Commander 2 unit naming flashbacks.

So is there any chance of, uhm, adjusting the faction name to adhere more to what it alludes to? It is just two simple words in a simple relation and no In Catilinam, after all. If there is no such chance, well, vae victis!
    Oh, and if that issue has been raised before in the respective threads I am sorry but I just could not be bothered to manually sift through more than a page of what the search function deigned to present me with.
    carlorizzante and stonewood1612 like this.
  2. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

So either like this:

Legionis Machina (machine of the legion)

Or this:

Legio Machinæ (legion of the machine)

Or it's supposed to be a twist, the machines are made out of lego. :eek:

I prefer the second version.
  3. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

Indeed. For my sanity's sake I chose to purposefully ignore the Lego option. Additionally this is neither an official request nor of any priority whatsoever; it is merely a phrase lost deep in the uncanny valley of Latin translations without any need for it to be that way.
  4. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I will never be able to read it as anything other than "Lego Machine".
  5. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

That might be my last resort with me being quite susceptible to the lures of grammar fascism. But then again I see a Latinisation mod on the horizon.
  6. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

So long, my dear Latin, lost forever.

I also thought we were speaking of a LEGO conversion of Planetary Annihilation :D
    cdrkf likes this.
  7. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Omne quod est absurdum.
  8. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Si 'google translate', non credimus.
    Geers likes this.
  9. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General