The E3 2014 Thread

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Geers, June 9, 2014.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Here we shall share and discuss all the wonderful (and horrific) happenings of E3.

Press Conferences:
    EA

Sony

Ubisoft
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWvJq-pLeko

Microsoft
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsV4E0JUlsw

Playstation
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6t8VPn2fIs

Highlights:

No Man's Sky Trailer

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Trailer

Star Wars Battlefront "Trailer"

Rainbow 6: Siege Trailer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsMGmdavlJU

Also in news: Grand Theft Auto V is coming to next-gen and PC in spring/autumn:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DBrG2YjqQA
    Last edited: June 15, 2014
  2. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

4. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

If there's no Last Guardian this year I'm going to kill someone.
  5. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

The Xbox One briefing was pretty solid. Nice focus purely on games.

I'm not an Assasins Creed player, but Unity looks really run, the new Fable looks solid, and Sunset Overdrive looks like a ton of fun. Overall, enough games out or coming out for Xbox One, may finally bite the bullet and get one.

Don't think anything stood out as "zomg", but a number of solid new and return titles.
  6. teapot

teapot Post Master General

It's a matter of preference of the games, and the systems you grew up with. I completely understand people who weren't impressed by the reveals. I thought some of them were nice and some were lackluster.

However, this Halo HD collection is some of the biggest news console players can get. You would have had to gone through the early experiences of the AGP tournaments, the Halo 50k tournaments, and then finally Major League Gaming tournaments. Everyone knows MLG now, but it's crazy to think they're a decade old. Free For All tournaments used to be played as a Round Robbin format, on literal round tables. People used to lug their 22inch CRTV's around back then..

well I'm getting off topic but the point is that they killed the series after 2. 3 was still okay, but reach was a nail in the coffin. From 05-09 Halo was in the competitive gaming spot light, and players were getting million dollar contracts before twitch.tv or streaming became big. However, once "e-sports" boomed, Halo self imploded, and the community became angry and bitter.

I just witnessed many adults crying legit tears at the Halo announcement. I think it's a much smaller audience, but launching Halo CE online, 1080p, 60fps with dedicated servers is literally the best announcement that could be made on xbox. Since 2002, die hard fans have been dealing with usual minimum of 100ping lag through a packet tunneling system called Xbox Connect just to play. It's terrible, but great because it's Halo 1. For the first time in 13 years we can play what's considered arguably the most competitive xbox shooter in a real online fashion. This is the console version of Half Life 3 being announced in my opinion. Halo 2 falls in the same boat since support was pulled in 09. The fans of that game probably greatly outnumber those of Halo 1, but regardless it's great news.
    naka333 likes this.
  7. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

I like Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare's drop pods.
  8. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

The Halo stuff is very cool, I just have an unusual perspective. Being part of Microsoft Game Studios when the original came out, I got a lot of very early exposure, so by the time the Xbox original came out, I was looking at a lot of other titles, and never quite got the Halo bug. But I certainly appreciate the place it holds in the hearts of a lot of people. And 343 and Bonnie Ross are a great team to keep it going, IMO. Probably one of the only teams other than Bungie who could have.
  9. thebigpill

thebigpill Well-Known Member

Plenty of good PC players still do -- and for good reason. CRT is far superior to current LCDs in certain aspects. Also 60fps? How about 250fps with 120hz #PCMASTERRACE
  10. teapot

teapot Post Master General

When did you leave Microsoft Game Studios? I was really hoping that with the 10 year XBL anniversary being a big deal, we'd see a remake of a game from back then. I was pretty partial to Whacked! which nobody else seems to remember.

I understand that Halo isn't for everyone. I also understand that a lot of Halo's aren't even for Halo fans. That's one of the problems when we receive 3-4 very different feeling games. I think initially we were excited for Halo 4 and 343, but after the release most competitive players lost hope. I was one of them. They simply did not understand what was needed for the original vision of Halo. However, we had learned about all the mistakes they admitted as well as the developmental trouble. I will say that I still have many doubts about Halo 5 competitively, but they finally brought in various Halo pros and personalities throughout the last year. It shows that the company has indeed listened to it's fans after all. Something bungie was known to have a problem with.

Like I said, being able to play Halo CE online for the first time ever is just jaw-dropping to me. I can't imagine how much time I've spent lanning in different states or the gas it took me to get there. After a decade of asking why we can't play Halo 1 on XBL, we get Halo CE Anniversary, which is a huge slap in the face that we get to think about for a couple more years. Now it's happened... This is the console version of them grouping up all the Half Life games together, updating the graphics, and then released a beta for the third. (similar I guess) Or consider it like Duke Nukem, waiting all this time for the sequel but instead of it sucking, it was glorious.
    naka333 likes this.
  11. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

Feels like it's been forever since the last release of a single player game that I've enjoyed. Too bad there weren't any new IPs that seem interesting but at least there's the stuff about the new Mass Effect.
    And of course GOTY 2015 The Witcher 3.
  12. Orome

Orome Well-Known Member

what about transistor?
  13. Geers

You might even say they'd be awesome in other games...Maybe an RTS...

[​IMG]
  14. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Imho, Sony tanked. They started pretty strong with lots of indie titles, an adorably genuine dev speaking about No Man's Sky, and maybe a slip-up here or there but pretty okay... but then they brought out business guy. Who talked for like an hour about TV, apps, networks, some exclusive show, and then there was lots of talking about just remasteries of old PS3 games for PS4.
  15. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

StarWars Battlefront looks good. Not much in terms of gameplay, or what the hell is going on outside of AT-STs and blaster fire.
  16. Geers

That Endor render looks really good. Hoth? Needs work. But they have time. I was terrified that this reveal was going to show me that they completely buggered it up. But they didn't really reveal anything! Phew! Dodged a bullet there!

Oh look, 2000 posts. Have a gatling kitty:

[​IMG]
    mkrater and garat like this.
  17. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

A little bird tells me that GTA V is coming to PC.
  18. Geers

You mean me?
  19. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Didn't see that all the way at the bottom there, under all those meaty full-length videos and review and analysis ;)
  20. Geers

Are you wearing your prescription goggles?
    PhoneySpring646 likes this.