The Current State of Server Lag

Discussion in 'Support!' started by killerkiwijuice, July 29, 2014.

1. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Just finished playing on my Official-ish FFA map and encountered terrible lag again after the 20 minute mark. This is not the first time. In fact it has happened on almost every single game I've played on a single planet system.

(this is uploaded on my trash channel.)

I hope this is not the vision Uber has for v1.0

I really just wanted to post this to show how bad it can actually get without really crashing.

Best of luck with the servers Uber.
  2. forrestthewoods

forrestthewoods Uber Alumni

3. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

4. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

You are not alone, past the 20 min mark, either the lag make the game unplayable, or the server crashes.
    Just before that, the units start dismissing orders (I had some fabbers just standing there doing nothing after asking to build stuff, while other fabbers work fine).

Some units stop moving too (ie. I ask them to go from A to B, and they stop between the two).

And no, it's not my GFX driver, everybody in the game experienced the same (asked in chat -it lags too to display what I've typed after entering enter- ), and when going back to the lobby, the game is not listed in the game list anymore.
    Moving the camera around is fluid.

Unless the game was short, I was never able to finish any game, ever.
    corteks likes this.
  5. forrestthewoods

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/how-to-report-issues-where-the-game-is-running-slow.60973/
    cwarner7264 and squishypon3 like this.
  6. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Whhat he's saying with this is... What sort of lag are you having exactly? Lag has so many definitions/symptoms.
  7. thepilot

I've just described. FPS are good, game is fluid on my side, it's the server acting up and keep forgetting orders, start shuttering (the simulation is, moving around is fluid, FPS still good), and come to an halt (server crash) at some point.

Here is the latest game when it happened :
    http://pastats.com/chart?gameId=185023

But you can take all the games I've played (not a lot because of the issues), and that are not completed. (almost all of them).

I don't really feel the need to report any game id, it's all of them except 2 short games.
  8. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

this is why we need offline.
  9. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

That sounds like your internet connection is playing up. Moaning about lag without providing any help is not going to get you anywhere, throw the devs a bone instead.
    FSN1977 likes this.
  10. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

In defence of these guys, this *is* a problem at the moment (it's been worse in recent patches).

Now I can tell you for one that *my bandwidth* isn't going to be the cause given that I'm on 30 mbit fibre optic. Also the client performance is excellent in recent builds (thanks to the multi-threaded update, seriously awesome work). It does appear to be server related. 9/10 times you go through the performance tabs and note the server running at about 1 fps when it gets really bad.

I will try another game and post details in the support section, as I always forget to take screen shots / note game ID.
  11. thepilot

If it's my connection acting up, with everyone else has lag too? Why the server crashes at the end?
  12. byte01

byte01 Member

Its not everyone having Server crashes. I rarely get a server crash at all. GW games run fast and fine until the later stages when I have like 3 allied supcoms and 3 enemies, and then only late game gets slow when a shitload of units got built.

The only real crashes I can think of have been the GUI completely giving up, no more F5 working even. But that's been the previous build, didn't happen again since last patch.
  13. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

I had a game that stopped completely more or less because the server couldn't keep up. It took 3 sec for the sim to calculate the physics at that time. Didn't report it since one guy had 3500 units and probably did an area patrol since everything went down the drain in no time...
  14. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

So guys you need to do this:
    So that Uber can tracked down what's happening and give as much detail as possible.;)
  15. forrestthewoods

My goal is to improve performance and stability of the server*. I ask for things from the community to help me achieve that goal. You literally just said you aren't going to give me the thing I asked for because you don't "feel the need". I have no words**.

To the rest of y'all. Please please please follow the instructions listed in the "How to report issues when the game is running slow" thread. Speaking of which, I just slightly modified the format of that post so give it a second look. If you want to help us make the game better for you then exactly following these instructions is the best way to do so.

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/how-to-report-issues-where-the-game-is-running-slow.60973/

* I focus on the server. Varrak focuses on the client.
    ** No polite words at least.
    ooshr32, nlaush, ace63 and 7 others like this.
  16. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Allright, will report all server problems next time ;)