The balance ini's

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Dedicated Server Discussion' started by Zero, February 5, 2011.

1. Zero

Zero New Member

Why is it when you screw with hostilebalance.ini in the config, the game and server refuse to start up?

This is the best place I could think to ask this, as it's mostly related to servers than anything else.
  2. grimbar

grimbar New Member

Because you are not meant to touch them.
  3. Zero

Zero New Member

I disabled all sorts of core graphical options in the engine ini to make the game run a lot better for me, I probably wasn't 'meant to touch that' either.
  4. grimbar

grimbar New Member

That engine file alters your client

The balance file alters the very game itself and not only for you

The difference is striking
  5. Zero

Zero New Member

They're both client-based, hostilebalance would only be server-based if a hosted server used that modified ini.

Either way, it still makes little sense that it'd get a C++ runtime error kind of thing just from adding 1 to a value, I mean it's in plain text afterall.
  6. GossamerSolid

GossamerSolid New Member

Because they probably have private variables within the engine that you are not meant to touch because they've locked them. Then it sees you tried to illegally change the values and it causes a crash.
  7. Zero

Zero New Member

Ah well, would be easy to make a server where the early game with its lack of money and skills would last longer or shorter if I could mess with those.
  8. racquemis

racquemis New Member

actually its much easier then that, hash check. i as worried that people might simply replace the hash and hack. but there seem to be other countermeasures fortunately. server will always launch with the valid values :)