The Art of Grapple Evasion

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Strategy and Tactics' started by wazupwiop, March 13, 2011.

1. wazupwiop

wazupwiop New Member

Last night I was playing with Snarf, Tom#s, fearless feedle, frenzyshot, and a few others in a match, and Snarf kept commenting on my ability to avoid his grapples. Without further adieu, here are my "grapple evasion tips and tricks".

Trick #1: Watch your back. Assassins and charge 3 assaults will go for your back almost every single time.

Trick #2: Jump...... alot. You have much less of a chance of being grappled if you are in the air. When assassins try to lunge-grapple you, as long as you are in the air, you will only take lunge damage.

Trick #3: When jumping, face your opponent and jump backwards in a zig-zag pattern. You will be harder to hit and harder to grapple. You can also return fire when facing your opponent.

Trick #4: If you are grappled, you will normally be facing your opponent after the grapple. This leaves you several options. The best option though is to jump back and right. Many people are left-brained (meaning that they use their right hand for everything), I have noticed that their is a tendency for them to aim right of their intended target. By jumping back and right, you can avoid a few bullets, be facing their left side or back, and be able to return fire.

Trick #5: If you know you are about to be grappled and you have juice, use it. I have saved myself countless times from assassins who back-grappled me. You will take much less damage, and you will probably end up killing the person who grappled you.

Trick #6: If you are playing assassin like I was against Snarf (who was also playing assassin), you will probably have some issues with being grappled by enemy assassins. The way I avoid their grapples is I attempt to lunge-grapple; if it fails, I jump. If the lunge-grapple works, the enemy assassin should be dead unless they are overhealed. In this case, immediately after the grapple you will need to jump backward and right. You will avoid the counter-grapple, and you can either escape the fight or lunge again to finish them off.

Trick #7: A good connection is good to avoid being grappled. I have a 15 meg connection because my dad works at home, and he needs the bandwidth for his work. I rarely face lag issues unless everyone in the house is streaming Netflix, so that may be why I seem to escape grapples better than the average person; however, even with a good connection there will still be latency. The other day I was playing against an assault and I attempted a grapple, but he killed me extremely fast. To my surprise, my dead body grappled him and killed him.
  2. OfficerFuttBuck

OfficerFuttBuck Active Member

tl;dr: jump and pray your connection isn't crap
  3. That Dutch Guy

That Dutch Guy New Member

4. salomdi

salomdi Active Member

a connection with a large bandwith =/= a good connection.
  5. Undercover_Thudercat

Undercover_Thudercat New Member

lol I was more referring to the times where you were standing still, and when I tried to grapple you nothing happened. I wouldn't even bother trying to grapple you if you're doing all that.
  6. wazupwiop

wazupwiop New Member

Hmmmm..... I rarely stand still. Lag related?
  7. That Dutch Guy

That Dutch Guy New Member

Epic guide is epic :lol:
  8. IrradiatedRadex

IrradiatedRadex New Member

I doubt I can do Trick #7.
  9. vortexcontinuum

vortexcontinuum Active Member

Basically this.
  10. Jraw20

Jraw20 New Member

I get almost 30 mbps, but sometimes, the host is just terrible and no matter what you do, you cannot escape the lag grapples.
  11. buffacumber

buffacumber Member

Just run support then ;)

You don't even have to aim ffs...
  12. minerva

minerva New Member

Bump.

This is embarrassing to read.

I feel sorry for Snarf.
  13. Undercover_Thudercat

Undercover_Thudercat New Member

That damn wazupwiop and his grapple evasion techniques. GRRRR!