That launch trailer was amazing, thanks!

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Crymaw, August 29, 2014.

1. Crymaw

Crymaw Member

Never have I ever, stood up and shouted out in excitement, "OH MY GOD!" at a game trailer. I just did watching Planetary Annihilation's launch trailer.

I just can't stop re-watching that end scene... Michael Bay's got nothing on that!

Uber, thank you! It's been a great experience watching and playing the game as it developed, and following your guys news on each video blog or website post. I can't wait to log on with my friends on launch day, and start playing.

Right now, I am positively beaming: I am so chuffed that I backed your Kickstarter, and am so glad that so many others did too.

I can't wait to see what the future holds for this game and Uber.

Post here if your life just got better after having watched that video!
  2. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

3. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I didn't like all the comments about the game on there. A lot of people didn't like the game so much, they are apparently dedicated to following it on every form of media out there and commenting negatively on it. I see like the same guys on one media post in another and another about it, I am starting to think the anti-PA guys are more cooperative and structured than this community is, and that is scary because seriously, what are they getting out of it, a sense of destructive accomplishment?
  4. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Yeah its ridiculous how many people are going around proclaiming how crap the game is and making up lies. Was reading the youtube comments and was shaking my head the whole time. Do people have nothing else to do except bashing one of the best Rts's in recent history?

One guy was claiming that the game looks crap compared to the trailer footage. How is this the case when the trailer footage is mostly in game? And a bunch of other people calling it a crappy supcom clone amongst other things.

It's like the company's who make games like cod have hired people to make sure that other genres out there don't become successful. Like the rts's which barely get any new games.

Edit:sorry went on a bit of a rant. Yeah this trailer was one of the few trailers to ever get me legitimately excited for something.
  5. Crymaw

Crymaw Member

lol. It's fine nicb1, I completely agree. It is bizarre how people go out of their way to run something like this down.

The exact same nonsense was going on with Company of Heroes 2. I am all for constructive criticism, but I hope the devs don't take the nonsense some people say to heart.
    squishypon3 and Nicb1 like this.
  6. activeo2

activeo2 New Member

I'm not really happy that they are releasing the game in this unfinished and unpolished state.

For now I will stick with FAF ;-)
  7. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I disagree. ;)
  8. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

"pillow talk for Darth Vader"

I love that lol

I stopped reading the youtube comments because it was so inane.
  9. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

Having watched the trailer 5 times at least, I felt nothing less than a surge of awesomeness rushing through me.

The moment I heard JPL's voice, I watched the video until the very end.
  10. omegabolt

omegabolt New Member

Yeah the trailer is fantastic. Can't wait to get to play with gas giants, they really add some more beauty to the star systems. There should definitely be a Solar System map created IMO. I had a go but my computer started freezing up by the time I got to creating Earth. :p Have to play with 50% subsampling so yeah...

For people saying the game is somehow in a bad state, that clearly isn't true. It runs better than ever, plays better than ever and looks better than ever. RTS just went from single square maps to spherical multiplanet battles in one game. Considering the incredible scale and goals of this project I feel proud to be even just a $115 contribution, made 2 years ago today. I don't know who's few hours work I paid for but it's good.

It's great to see a game through from such beginnings to completion, and it's more fun than I expected. You know, you should run a "sponsor a game developer" charity.
  11. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

You can, go play the PTE. ;)
  12. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

5 times? Pfft. I've lost count of how many times i've watched the trailer. Don't know if that's a good thing or not.
  13. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

I'm torn here since I agree that it's somewhat unpolished and overall unfinished, but do believe they'll finish it over time. I'm not all that fond of FAF since everyone I've ever played beat me into the wall and expected me to "become better" from having nothing to learn from. Pff, pass.

I might personally dot a game or two in PA, but I think I might stick with Total Annihilation. :D For now..

That said, The trailer was absolutely amazing. Haven't seen many videos or live feeds, though, so meh. Can't help that all the casters are at PAX.
  14. Crymaw

Crymaw Member

Hehe, @ Bgrmystr2, the only thing you need to learn off are replays. Watch the replay from your opponent's perspective each time you are beaten, and take note of their build orders and strategy. :)

I have found this approach very useful in just about every RTS I have played.
  15. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

O.M.G. The death star has landed. This game has surpassed my dreams of a new sup com / Ta ip...

Every update I'm just like wow, how can they top this, then next update comes and smashes it !?!

Just in case any of you havn't spotted it yet, you can play the new version from the trailer by installing the new installer (don't have the link to hand, just google Pa pte launcher).
    I totally agree, some people just seem blind to the fact that the games industry, and particularly P.c. Dev's are having a tough time atm things like kickstarter are the lifeline for games that the big publishing corp's wont fund due to financial risk.

Uber (and other) dev's are paving the way for the return of the pc as the top platform (Were it should be).

Chris Robert's praises uber publically on the star citizen website, thanking them for proving AAA titles can be developed via Ks, and paving the way for Sc to be made.

Don't get me wrong I do believe in constructive criticism, it is valuable and to be welcomed, but destructive negative comments are not, and those who post are really only showing that they don't understand what's going on...The bigger picture if you will. ;)

Sorry for the rant, but its a subject I feel very passionate about, I love Pc's and pc gaming. Ks, uber and other pc specific devs are putting pc's back on top. Let's try and keep it there by not trying to hurt dev's who champion our beloved platform.
    Nicb1, cptconundrum and Quitch like this.
  16. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Really? When?
  17. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I too want to see Chris Roberts puking rainbows about PA.
    thetrophysystem and nofear1299 like this.
  18. maxcomander

It's in print at the bottom of one the pages on the star citizen website. I did try and find it again so I could give you guys a link, but haven't been able to re locate it.

It essentially says big shout to uber for paving the way for star citizen to be made... Cant remember the exact wording.
  19. Geers

Geers Post Master General

There are a lot of pages. Was it a Letter from the Chairman or what?
  20. maxcomander

coundn't say, I was just browsing late one night when i spotted it =[