Terraforming

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by majord, August 24, 2012.

1. majord

majord New Member

What about building planets from scratch? Instead of only changing sea levels, and temperature, what if we could move asteroids into the same orbit, push them together, gently, and combine them into a single larger potato like mass?

You gain advantages of using existing infrastructure, avoiding redundancy, gain higher impact strength, as well as higher sacrificial defensive mass. The disadvantage is in having everything clumped into one target. I think they're interesting trade offs.

Imagine being able to craft an asteroid so finely that you can add an ice asteroid, and melt it into a water layer to act as a shield? The water acts as an ablative shield against nuclear missiles. It would require some sort of critical mass, or balance between asteroid engine acceleration, and gravitational pull, so you don't accelerate faster than the gravity can keep the water attached to the rock.

Thoughts?
  2. corhen

corhen Member

The Coding.. This requires so much!

Honestly? i think this is too much, with the number of planets/astroids i expect we can see in a solar system this level of complexity would be just that.
  3. thipp

thipp New Member

Uber just flat out can't do that with the number of devs and the money they have.

Unless we triple the pledge goal, this ain't gonna happen.
  4. doctorzuber

doctorzuber New Member

Take a moment to put yourself in the shoes of world destroying machines that have long since lost all purpose beyond destroying the other guy. Seriously, think about, what is your motivation here?

Why would you care?
  5. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

Hehe. Agreed.

That, and terraforming takes... centuries.... to thousands of years.

I dont think a game is gonna last remotely that long, even in 'in game time'
  6. majord

majord New Member