Temporary upgrading the commander

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Daddie, March 4, 2013.

1. Daddie

Daddie Member

I feel I am getting old but I like to point out a feature I really like from one of the first RTS games ever.. Herzog.. (gameplay vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU2FDnKzt5I ).

One of the cool features was the ability to pick up an unit and use its ability with a punch. For example it was possible to pick up a rocket launcher tank, as a commander, and fire 10 missiles at once.

I think such a feature would work for PA also. For example picking up a shield tank which would give the commander extra shielding when activated. Or picking up a submarine and give the commander the option to fire multiple torps at once.

edit: to avoid confusion.. the idea is to give a temporary boost to a commander, not an upgrade.
    Last edited: March 5, 2013
  2. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

Yeah for a kirby commander :D
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Neutrino has already said that he doesn't want Commander upgrades, instead different commanders will have different abilities preset, see this thread for all the relevant info;

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=43415

Mike
  4. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

In TA, commanders could cloak for a ~1000* energy/second.
    That cost would only allows the commander to cloak once reached T2.
    More abilities could be given to the commander with such kind of mechanism without ressorting to upgrade.
    Like an Uber-Armor :)
  5. Daddie

Daddie Member

I know what he said, but did you read my topic? I was triggered by the live stream when somebody asked "can be strap on a pair of tanks" :mrgreen:
  6. KNight

Yeah I read the thread, you said it was an upgrade, and Neutrino said no upgrades.

In terms of wearing tanks, there was already a thread for that;

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=43682

Mike
  7. Daddie

Daddie Member

Oke.. I picked the wrong name for it.. call it a temporary boost then :D
  8. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

What you're describing is like salvaging battlefield weapons to get a temporary increase in power.

Like taking over an enemy anti-tank cart in Company of Heroes or the Avatar (I think) in C&C3.
  9. Daddie

Daddie Member

Well.. in Herzog you actualy picked up a working unit you command to give the commander a special one use ability. You needed to drop the unit and get another one.
  10. christopher1006

christopher1006 Member

If you picked up and used a unit it should result in their destruction, you could say the commander is overcharging that unit to get a massive attack bonus from it.
  11. thaplague

thaplague Member

I do like this idea becuse early game it would give an advantage to someone who tries to rush your base as well as make commanders a little more powerful later in the game. Although I do see a con of having an OP commander. I think this idea should be explored.
  12. KNight

I didn't realize that was a potential Issue, at least in PA, it's a concern in SupCom2 due to research thought.

And of course, there's the issue of the rusher also bringing a few units of his own to use the same technique against you.

Mike
  13. ucsgolan

ucsgolan Member

It is not "Temporary" since the commander keep the ability as long as he/she/whatever can keep the upgrade. Temporary upgrade would be like Frenzy or Railgun Accelerator which provides provisional bonus.
    (In fact, it is more like a skill than an upgrade, therefore there is no need for upgrade.

According to the background story, the efficiency of our war machines is maximized, so probably there is no place for additional improvements. It would be funny if there is something beyond the best.
  14. Daddie

Daddie Member

Best is always relative.. so in order to use the best you need to assess the situation and select your option, a commander can't carry/equip everything for any possible situation.
  15. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

You can already temporarily upgrade the Commander by drawing energy for its abilities. Uber gun, anyone?