Teleporter also usable by air units

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by Lomak, May 31, 2014.

1. Lomak

Lomak New Member

I was stuck on another planet and couldn't invade the main planet because I had only tech 1 ground units which didn't made it against tech 2 air and tech2 ground units plus some artillery. But I had 60 helicopter waiting to go through the teleporter. But that didn't work.

Is it possible to open the teleporter for air units too?
  2. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

no. air transports. yes
  3. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Active Member

You can use an astraeus to load an air unit, but it's slow, painful, and it'll probably get shot down before it even gets anywhere near the destination.

On something like an unoccupied moon, though, that's perfectly fine.
  4. captainkatawa

captainkatawa New Member

I am pretty much against that idea.
    I like it how it is.
    There's a reason why ships aren't walking on the ground and why planes don't fly to orbit
    elodea, AyanZo and PeggleFrank like this.
  5. rafter109

rafter109 New Member

This isn't about ships walking on the ground or planes flying in orbit, teleportation is a different concept entirely. Planes should be able to fly through the portal and come out at the destination teleporter. Ships should be able to use it as well as long as the origin and destination teleporters are in valid water locations.
    Lomak, spainardslayer and PeggleFrank like this.
  6. captainkatawa

captainkatawa New Member

My point was that there must be certain limitations for units.
    -ground units meet obstacles and cant swim
    -naval units can't move over the ground
    makes sense that if aerial units can move anywhere fast they shouldn't be able to be teletorted.
    Pendaelose, MCXplode and PeggleFrank like this.
  7. Lomak

Lomak New Member

Your point doesn't help with invasion so it is pointless ;) and the game has a problem regarding sitting on a planet not being able in a good way to invade another planet. Everything that is now in the game to invade a planet, is relatively easy avoidable.

Here come another idea additional to opening the teleporter for air unit: because opening the teleporter doesn't make it more easy to invade another planet without getting the teleporter build on the second planet. Therefore I wish I could transport a teleporter via astraeus.

So my wishlist short:
    • open teleporter for air units
    • being able to transporter teleporter via astraeus to another planet
    Last edited: June 1, 2014
  8. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

We need T2 anti-air bots and vehicles. And a fighter that can fly inbetween planets.

And they're Gunships, not hellicopters.
  9. waterlimon

waterlimon Member

I actually like the air units being largely stuck on a single planet, it makes them more distinct from other units which adds strategy.

Just like ships, ships are even more horrible when it comes to expansion.
    igncom1 likes this.
  10. Pendaelose

Pendaelose Well-Known Member

I definitely do not want air units to be teleportable as I enjoy land and air being as different as possible, but I would love it if we had NEW ways to move air units between planets.

My first choice would be a interplanetary carrier that drops down like an Astraeus to load or launch aircraft. If it's ascent/descent were slow enough it would still be counterable with umbrellas and avengers before it could launch fighters.

Alternatively I could see building the same unit, but rather than as a transport it would be an interplanetary T1 airfactory armed with a flak gun to secure the air around itself while it starts pumping out interceptors.

Sadly, we may have to wait until mods can deliver this brand of goodness, so in the mean time I suggest countering an enemy's "super moon patrol" by building lots and lots of avengers. Once you're cleared out his orbital layer get orbital radar over his planet and start spamming anchors with great zeal. His umbrellas will hurt you, but if he has a soft spot without them you want to tile the sky above it with anchors to secure a landing zone.
  11. broadsideet

broadsideet Active Member

How about a ground transport for air units? One that can carry single air units through teleporters or be able to safely hold a group of bombers away from enemy fighters.
    muhatib likes this.
  12. PeggleFrank

Most air units will land after being idle for long enough, so perhaps a tow-truck of sorts?
  13. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

That seems like an unnecessarily convoluted way of doing it. Creating an entire new unit to perform a single, very specific logistical function (and an odd arbitrary function at that) is not exactly elegant design.
    thepastmaster and PeggleFrank like this.
  14. broadsideet

broadsideet Active Member

I would use land-based air transports to take bombers into an area where I know that there will be enemy fighters around. Accompanying them with some AA gives you a way to keep bombers safe while you position them from a good angle without needing to worry that they will be evaporated by a roving fighter swarm. If you don't like this unit, then why bother having aircraft carriers at all?
  15. pieman2906

I don't think we need aircraft carriers either. Aircraft carriers were in Supcom primarily because in that game aircraft had a fuel system, and couldn't operate well far away from base on large maps.

PA doesn't have a fuel system, making carriers pretty much unnecessary. As for getting bombers into position without worrying about fighters, that's why you have your own fighters. Also, good scouting will allow you to get plenty of good runs off with bombers.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  16. icefire909

icefire909 Member

What if the aircraft had to do a docking lineup with the teleporter.

So they have to line right up and fly through it slowly and one at a time, preventing ground units from using it while the aircraft hog the teleport.
    Alternatively a seperate aerial teleporter. I primarily use construction aircraft teams and it's rather annoying to have to build up the vehicle chain just to get workers on to another planet/moon to wreck people with.

Also remember the Naval Transports from Total Annihilation? Bigass ship with a magnet and just dumps units inside it, something like that would be awesome.
  17. pieman2906

Are you aware that astreus can transport air fabbers?
  18. PeggleFrank

An astraeus can transport ground units too.

That doesn't mean that it's easy or efficient to move them from one planet to another.
  19. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

Invading fortified planets is currently pretty broken. Perversely it's easier to invade a large planet than a small moon, because it's easier to cover a moon in Umbrellas.

Regardless, the problem is not that air units can't go through teleporters, the problem is that the options to invade a planet are very limited and usually come down to out-spamming your opponent. There are two usual situations, the first is that one player greatly out-ecos the other and it's just a matter of waiting for big-eco-player to make enough Avengers to overwhelm the other, or both players are roughly equal in eco and you get a stalemate (or if not a literal stalemate, a game where the action stops for so long that it's impossible to stay focussed).

I don't know what the solution is to make planetary invasion more feasible, but air units through teleporters won't solve any issues. Certainly there's an argument to be had over whether they should be able to (I'd say definitely yes for consistency reasons, but as for balance reasons we can't know until other planetary invasion elements are in place).
  20. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Er, actually most real world gunships ARE helicopters, since they have hovering capabilities they're much more useful in an anti-ground situation than planes, which are, you know, kind of huge and not hover-capable. The AC-130 is the only plane related gunship I can think of and that's the kind of thing you use to level towns, not on humans.

It fits in PA's case that they're planes since this world actually has functional VTOL planes, which we will probably never have, but just pointing it out.