tech question

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ikickasss, July 7, 2015.

1. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

I know a guy that is thinking about buying pa. Can a laptop with 8gb ram windows 8.1 and amd radeon HD 8650 run PA.
  2. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

pretty sure. my stats are pretty similar
  3. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

4. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I run PA on my i5 Laptop (first gen 2.4 ghz) which has 8gb of ram and a rather old nVidia GT 420m gpu (I'm pretty sure slower than the 8650m gpu). So long as the drivers are up to date (can be an issue with laptops if laptop vendor uses modified drivers) then it will run the game fine at 1366 x 768 (I get a stable 30+ fps on low settings, native resolution without downscaling). Just note a system like that would struggle to drive PA well at 1920 x 1080p at reasonable frame rates.
  6. a2razor

a2razor Member

I've had no issues on my Q6600 machine with 8GB of system RAM, and it runs ok overall. My only concern would be that the 8650 is "APU" Graphics if I remember right. Meaning you don't have access to all of those 8GB.

Should be fine though as long as you're not playing insanely large games. If your friend runs into issues with the game crashing, try raising swapfile size rather than letting the system allocate it or try capping CoherentUI process count to save memory.

Eg, add something like this to the startup: --coherent-options="--renderer-process-limit=8"