Teamwork and Communication

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Wishlist' started by dirtydogofdeath, December 28, 2010.

1. dirtydogofdeath

dirtydogofdeath New Member

The text chat in-game is nearly useless as-is, and I'm not a big fan of voice chat (for various reasons).

What MNC dearly needs is a way to state some obvious game state information!

CS gives players the ability to say things like "Enemy Spotted." MNC would benefit from a couple of short keystrokes to give players the ability to quickly and effectively communicate with their team without resorting to voice chat or the weak text chat.

For example, phrases like:
    * "Push on the left/right side"
    * "There's an assassin in our base, killing our turrets"
    * "Need someone to take out that #$%#% sniper"
    * "Defend the moneyball"

And so on. Some simple VO, accessed by one or two keystrokes, would greatly facilitate teamwork.

Enjoying the game,
    dirtydogofdeath
  2. Fuffles

Fuffles New Member

Ahh, I can see it now.
    (timestamped for clarification of point)
    xXxEliT3Sn1p3RxXx (Radio): Push on the right side! @ 5:57
    xXxEliT3Sn1p3RxXx (Radio): Need a dispens- Push on the right side! @ 5:57

In all of the games I've played voice commands are not taken seriously by any of the players, except for a few, such as "Medic!" and "Thanks!". Voice commands are not flexible enough to be a substitute for voice communications or text chat except in rare situations.

Things like these are too specific unless you include trees of dialog. In my opinion, they are too complex anyway. Things like: "Left side" and "Charge" would be more adequate. I do think some simple commands wouldn't be misplaced, but yours are a bit too complex.
  3. dirtydogofdeath

dirtydogofdeath New Member

Thanks for the input, Fuffles!

In my opinion, I think you are nit-picking. ;) I wasn't trying to suggest specific implementations, merely provide my opinion that a feature like this IS desired. Take the intention, not the direction. :)

However, you have a good point about the complexity of the suggested lines. I'd leave it to the devs to come up with what they wanted to say -- I am well aware that recording lines for each character takes money. Heck, you could get aware with 3 lines, voiced for both teams by only Pit Girl, and do it really cheaply. Again, I'm not trying to suggest a specific implementation -- there are too many interpretations of my suggestion to detail.

Also, annecdotal evidence based on personal experience cuts both ways. I could sit here and regale you with the times voice chat played a key moment in many of the Tribes games I used to play -- but that wouldn't serve much purpose :)

Again, thanks for the input! Hope I've clarified my position a little.

Edit: I guess I should mention that the spam really isn't a problem -- providing you anticipate it. It's pretty easy to write a fairly intelligent system that prevents this kind of abuse, I forgot to mention it because it seems like a trivial challenge to me.
  4. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

something like the Tribes quick chat tree would be nice
  5. Fuffles

Fuffles New Member

Oh, the anecdotal evidence was for fun really, I know that doesn't happen all that often.
    I do support your idea and I would like it as well even if I wouldn't use it all that often.

I would like (and this is more idealism than realism) a system where you could change the text that appears for a particular voice clip. This keeps the immediate attention getter provided in an audio queue while keeping things from being too static, or not suiting another person very well. For example; say you have a few different and simple voice commands along the lines of "Left!", "Right!", "Incoming", "Jackbot!" and so on, I can't think of anything else to add, really. You then have the ability to bind these vocalizations to a key, as well as a fully customizable line of text (that isn't too long).

These would not be limited to just one per vocalization, but a limited number of hotkeys. So I would still be able to say "They're pushing on the left!" and "Enemy turrets down on the left!" while my character yelled "Left!" or "On the left!" or what have you.
  6. nocturne_saint

nocturne_saint Member

I think voice chat should be on mnc, but i also belive there should be a toggle and mute option in case someone takes vc too far.
  7. kitrosomyl

kitrosomyl New Member

Tribes quick chat is still the best quick chat i've ever used. Something like this would be amazing for teamwork, and if tribes is any indication, highly entertaining!
  8. acousticdank

acousticdank New Member

Man we need a mute button. Last night some dbag was being annoying as hell.
  9. Mibuwolf

Mibuwolf New Member

Spy sapping my sentry :lol:
  10. Terror

Terror New Member

hard to hear anything over the really loud ingame music/sfx