Teammates Running Into Each Other - WHY???

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Feedback and Issues' started by NYK Ewing, February 14, 2011.

1. NYK Ewing

NYK Ewing New Member

Here's one thing I've never understood about shooters - why do programmers make it so that teammates can block each other?

I can't count the number of times that I've been retreating with very little life left, about to round a corner to safety, and some big ol' gunner or tank on my team stops me just enough to allow me to die. That's just one of a myriad of examples of it screwing someone over. Charging into a teammate and getting knocked off the map, people blocking you out of the starting zone, teammates that have nothing better to do than annoy you by standing by you (anyone who plays CoD knows about this clasic), etc...

The thing is, I don't see a justifiable gameplay reason for it. It doesn't help with balance or competition, and it doesn't make the game better in any way. It can only serve to piss people off.

The only thing I can think of is that it's hard to program into the game. But hey, TF2 did it... why do so many other shooters like MNC keep it in the game?
  2. leov1993

leov1993 Post Master General

Haha, I can't count the number of times this has happened to me :roll: .

But seriously, I think it's there so it can be realistic-ish.
  3. sensitivepsycho

sensitivepsycho New Member

You can block a team-mate from landing after taking a jump-pad, which often rings them out.

So, hilarity I guess?
  4. MootPinks

MootPinks New Member

Get rid of it and a big fat gold armour tank could walk along with 5 assassins hiding inside him, and give birth to his litter of screeching, slashing death right in the middle of the enemy base. Neat!
  5. sensitivepsycho

A Tank would never let those abhorrent cowards near him. Unless he was murderizing them, of course.
  6. MootPinks

MootPinks New Member

Good point. Plus they'd all come out smelling of his... err... lower beard. Ewwww...
  7. FB Zombie Chaos

FB Zombie Chaos New Member

Lower beard.... Lol.
  8. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

Trojan Tank? Cool! Still sounds broken, I didn't have an answer as to why they wouldn't do it, until just now.
  9. MootPinks

MootPinks New Member

It does get annoying when some fat class runs ten steps into the exit of the spawn room and THEN realises he forgot to choose endorsements and blocks the entire team.

Plus bumping a teammate always causes a laggy glitch for me.
  10. Saint Mudknot

Saint Mudknot New Member

Take another door? any team mate can stop in the doorway and block you lol, its how things really happen. If i stop in the doorway your not going to walk through me, this isnt done as a game balancing mechanic its done because thats really how things work.
  11. Liefglinde

Liefglinde New Member

This is a game... I don't want realism, I want game-ism :(
  12. Wandrian Wvlf

Wandrian Wvlf New Member

This. Reality is boring, ergo we play games like MNC that are crazily unrealistic. I know I've never seen someone with a head shaped like the Assault's, nobody but nobody can endlessly reload every time they fire a single unit of ammo, and so on and so on.

realism=/=fun
  13. NYK Ewing

NYK Ewing New Member

Haha I was going to say, the appeal to realism MIGHT make sense for a game like Call of Duty.

But when a fat Italian cartoon whips a keyboard out of nowhere and it shoots a beam into a massive gun that makes it even better, I realized the devs weren't quite shooting for realism in this game.
  14. MootPinks

MootPinks New Member

My point was that it was annoying, not that it was an unsolvable problem, but thanks for providing a solution. The explanation of how people in real life are unable to walk through one another, along with the real world example to highlight the concept, were especially useful.
  15. spookyspectre11

spookyspectre11 New Member

Its actually kinda fun to screw team mates over by this feature after playing too many rounds of MNC. Not to long ago i was "dicking around" blocking some assaults path as much as i can as a support, next thing I know theres an airstrike beacon between us, the assault charged to get out of its path but went nowhere because he ran into me, so i tried making a left, he copied my movement, then finally i jumped backwards last second and boom...dead assault xDDD
  16. NYK Ewing

NYK Ewing New Member

This is why the devs need to get rid of it
  17. Tadferd

Tadferd New Member

Because without player to player collision, playing Assassin would be near impossible, charges would have horrid glitches or not work at all, grappling players would be a lot harder in general.

Bumping into team members is annoying, sure. Not bumping into enemy players would most likely be game breaking.
  18. sensitivepsycho

>>>>>The point.

>>>>>Your head.

Go re-read the title.
  19. spookyspectre11

spookyspectre11 New Member

why does this game need to be any easier? besides i only do that when the other team is outnumbered, out-skilled, and more than likely new (lv 0-40 or something). theres no need to completely destroy them, then kill them repeatedly while ignoring the moneyball. whatll happen to MNC's player base?! perhaps this is something for another topic...

anywho they have this feature in many 1st/3rd person shooter game. is not like its game breaking. you jus die once or twice because of it. think of it as comic relief
  20. Liefglinde

Liefglinde New Member

It's funny the 1st or 2nd time, but after the 100th time (yes, it has happened to me far more than this) it becomes incredibly annoying.