Team v Team Single Moneyball Gametype

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Wishlist' started by DeadStretch, September 1, 2010.

1. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

While watching the recent Justin.tv broadcast the guys at UberEnt said they were open to new game mode ideas. A single Moneyball gametype is one I have been thinking about a lot. I have some pretty vague ideas but I feel with the input of the community we can finely tune this idea and possibly have it added to MNC.

Overview:
    6 v 6 (Team v Team)
    One central Moneyball
    Neutral at match-start.
    Moneyball is not captureable at start of match
    The team that captures and holds the Moneyball longest wins.
    A mix of gameplay aspects from Crossfire and Blitz.
    Bot Lines/Base Defense/Hazards
    Multiple Bot Spawn Doors (locations)
    Can't forget Bullseye

Basic Breakdown:
    At the start of each game the central Moneyball is neutral and has a timer (30 seconds?) before it can be captured. A preparation timer allowing players to "get ready." How to "capture" the Moneyball is undecided. Buy? Support Hack? Damage Dealt? Ideas here are welcomed and encouraged.

Once a team captures the Moneyball their Bot spawns get but on hold. Like in Blitz players defend timed bot waves from destroying their Moneyball although have no bots spawning of their own. Bots would spawn as in Crossfire. Meaning the line of Slims and Black Jacks they have now with the added Pro spawned bots.

Each team starts with two bot lines as in crossfire but there are other neutral bot doors/lines placed over the map. These can simply be bought such as jumppads. The more "doors" owned the higher price to buy additional. Not every door has Pro bot spawning options. Since the defending teams Bot line is put on hold they cannot buy these doors. Once the attacking team captures the Moneyball they lose all extra doors and gain bonus money along with their bot line being put on hold. All remaining bots do not die. Pros will have to destroy them.

The team that has the longest accumulative time held of the Moneyball wins once match time is up. Alternatively there can be a set amount of time held as the goal to win. I.E. First team to accumulate 5 minutes of holding time wins.

Unique Ideas:
    4 Player Spawn Locations. Each Teams original spawn and two forward spawns. Forward spawn locations earned from buying. Although a Support with level 3 hack can steal the spawn location. Support hacks are the only way to gain more then 2 spawn locations.

Unique Hazards to help defending team. I.E. Delay Bot Spawn timers, Decreased walking speed to bots. The normal hazards will also be included.

For each minute or two of defending the respective team makes a set amount of money. After certain "checkpoints" the money earned gets a multiplier. Since while on Offense you'll have no bots to farm making money management and team strategy more valuable. Spending all your money right away might result in you not have extra money in crucial situations.

So that's my single Moneyball gametype idea. Like I said before these are just some rough ideas and with the help of the community we can finely tune this beast!

Thanks for reading!
    -Stretch

[Edit]
    Last edited: September 27, 2010
  2. Show me the Bacon

Show me the Bacon New Member

A "King of the Moneyball" sort of thing? Could work, though capturing the moneyball is the question. I'd say drop the shields with the bots to capture it, then hologram-banners with your team symbol would pop up around it, indicating possesion.

I think there should be turret nubs around the moneyball, that are held by the defending team. If the moneyball drops, all the turrets explode, and the new team in possesion will need to set the defense back up.
  3. DeadStretch

The Moneyball would still have the shield and bots would be the ones who take the shield down. Also like is Blitz the Moneyball would hae three turrets surrounding it.

I put a little thought into capturing and it's quite easy. The Moneyball has shields as normal and the Bots are what takes the shields down. Once the shields are down Pros and Bots can damage the Moneyball. Once the offensive drains the Moneyball they gain control and restoring it's shields.

Today, when I made the UberEntFriends Xbl tag, I played the starting tutorial and realized that map is basically the perfect single Moneyball setup. The middle platform where the MB is along with the upper-ring/catwalks with some walls on the outer-edge and the outer-lower platform with the unbreakable glass as the floor. Instead of the spawn being behind the MB put one on each side further away from the MB.

Also the bots doors there can be used as the forward ones that are earned from buying them. Same on the other teams side. Since these are all symmetrical maps.
  4. AtomGone

AtomGone New Member

I had an alternate idea that I thought was kind of neat, but along the same lines:

Push the Moneyball!

aka "Katamoney Dominancy"

Basically, it would be similar to what already exists, but in the bases where the Pros spawn, the moneyball pits are empty. Instead, there is a single Moneyball in the center of the map, and the team must guide their bots to it. The bots each have their own ways of "pushing" the money ball to their respective bases.

Slims run up and detonate near the money ball giving it a decent push.
    Blackjacks move behind it and melee it, the distance is minor but each hit knocks it further than the reach of the melee hit so they have to move again to the new point.
    The cloaked bots jump on top and sort of "log roll" on it, but keep falling off it.
    Bouncers can literally get behind it and push it.
    Jackbots can literally just start carrying the thing, though they're even slower when this occurs and can't attack.

The bot paths in this case would have to form a loop, where they move behind the money ball and push it towards their base.

This mode brings in the "CTF" vibe while still relying on the bots to do the heavy lifting (literally in this case) forcing the Pros to defend them if they want to win.

There could also be variants to the mode, such as multiple rounds (best two of three), or Pro Pushing.

I can already see problems with the bot pathing being an issue, but if this were resolved, it could probably be a lot of fun!
  5. DeadStretch

6. DeadStretch

Double post bump
    :D
  7. MikeLanglois

MikeLanglois New Member

I like the idea. +1
  8. fortebass

fortebass New Member

this, this sounds fun, i enjoy capture the flag sorta things, ,i think the rate that it drags it should be fairly slow compared to how fast most bots move, just to extend the game a little.
  9. DeadStretch

Thanks for commenting on the original post...
    :?
  10. killien

killien Active Member

Eesh *shudder* You're reminding me of the Jammer DCM from Section 8 Prejudice, but only so far as "neutral item your team must fight for"
  11. jaysofacton

jaysofacton Active Member

A great Idea but I can't help thinking it should be in the PC section. A new game
    mode for xbox? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  12. AmazeTheory

AmazeTheory New Member

I like it. But only if PC doesn't get it.
  13. DeadStretch

This was posted before there even was a PC version. :D
  14. TrollBranquility

TrollBranquility New Member

I want this game mode before the PC even gets it. It would be poetic justice, taking one of their ideas before they ever get to see it, like they have taken so many of the XBox's ideas without us ever seeing it.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7700
  15. Immortal303

Immortal303 New Member

This sounds awesome.

Nuetral turret nubs? Maybe have nub (and turrets built on them) switch control as the moneyball switches.

It would almost have to be a set time limit (15-30 minutes)? use moneyball or shield health to determine when the ball goes from possession to nuetral or just switches possession?

Great idea tho. I'd play the hell out of this.
  16. PlumbumTheEpic

PlumbumTheEpic New Member

Cool idea!
  17. That Dutch Guy

That Dutch Guy New Member