TA Spring reunite club

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by bengeocth, June 24, 2015.

1. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

Leave a message here if you're on TA spring. Balanced Annihilation is the one I use.

Tell your username and add others. We want to organize a game. I think mine is bengeocth. I'll have to check. It's been a very long time.
  2. bengeocth

I just downloaded spring and BA- how do I get spring to run BA? I put it in the games folder, but it doesn't come up on the list. Also, its saying its moved to a new server and I have no idea how to connect spring to it. @cdrkf
  3. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Play NOTA here. I would suggest downloading their game pack and using their custom launcher to launch BA.
    http://nota.machys.net/
  4. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

So you've installed Spring Lobby? You need to hit 'refresh maps and mods' in the main menu to check for the updated version of BA.

Edit: Just tested the latest version, fresh install on a new machine and it works fine:
    1: Download the game from https://springrts.com/wiki/Download
    2: Once installed, open 'SpringLobby' (make sure you install that)
    3: Login with your old details or register a new account.
    4: This will connect you to the server and main chat.
    5: Go to 'Battles' tab, right click on a game you want to join and 'download game'
    6: Also make sure you get the map by right clicking and 'download map'
    7: Join game, kick *** and profit!
  5. bengeocth

ok, I've been using this "springlobby zerok" crap that came with it. idk whats up with that.
  6. cdrkf

Well that's the dedicated lobby for Zero K (which is released as a stand alone game on Steam btw, so kudos to those guys!). They deliberately forked Zero K away from the other games as for it to be legal on Steam it has to avoid using any copyrighted materials, and I guess they figured having a lobby full of games that do potentially infringe copyright would muddy the waters even if Zero K itself doesn't (note it's totally legal to play the TA based mods *if you own TA*, which I think most of the players probably do, however you can't guarantee new players from Steam necessarily will).
  7. bengeocth

I tried a single player game against the AI. The game runs well but springlobby pops up "logic error" repetitively- after I got out of a game there were 20 pop ups. It happens a lot in game too. so- any way to stop that? while in game I heard the pinging of it coming up over and over.
  8. cdrkf

Hmm, which AI did you use? Some of them haven't been updated in ages so that might be the issue.

Also if you want to play single player, I recommend getting the 'BA Chickens' mod. That will pit you against waves of squishy animal monster things (a bit Starship troopers like), culminating in an *almost* invincible 'queen' super monster (seriously we are talking mass nukes, gunships, bombers, krogoths, tanks, berthas and anything else you can think of to take her down, she's also the only thing in the game that a d-Gun can't 1 shot!). You can also play that co-op (although that doesn't make it easier lol).
  9. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

TA Spring isn't a thing.

Stop playing BA, play BAR.

Zero-K hasn't been released on steam (yet). The only spring game on steam is Evolution RTS, which had a failed release due to lobby issues.

Zero-K is also best spring game. Indisputable.
  10. cdrkf

I own ta and thus am fully within my rights to play ba. I can't stand BAR due to the horrific interface work which you can't turn off. The spring vanilla interface is far more elegant and less intrusive than any of the custom ones based on lua. I dislike zero k for the same reason and its also overly complex and moves away from the simplicity that is TA by adding classes, upgrade and all sorts of other useless rubbish that ruin most other rts titles. I just hope we don't get forced to drop ba like we were forced to drop the vastly superior multi threaded version of spring.

Spring may want to forget it's heritage but whichever way you slice it, the engine only exists due to the modding work on TA. The spring devs would do well to remember that.
  11. bengeocth

what is BAR? also I own TA from years and years ago.

Cant find any games in springlobby- people keep hosting and then making themselves spectators so if I want a game the only way to really play is with a bot. we need to schedule.
  12. bengeocth

Was poking around spring. Just gonna leave this here.
    lel.png

that is a rank. clearly spring doesn't take itself as seriously as I thought
    :rolleyes:
    cdrkf likes this.
  13. tashadan

tashadan Active Member

I personally still prefer TA. Although i am mainly playing TA mods.
    Zero-K has some nice aspects but having 10? (correct me if i am wrong) different factories which you can all build from the start is nothing i can enjoy. Also macro is really strange. Even with a bunch of extractors it is still better to have only one factory. Building several ones is useless in most cases.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  14. bengeocth

TA has no shortage of factories either. That is literally 10 right here
    bot t1
    vehicle t1
    air t1
    boat t1
    hover t1
    bot t2
    vehicle t2
    air t2
    boat t2
    seawing t2
  15. cdrkf

Don't forget 'Experimental gantry' and 'amphib complex' :D
    bengeocth likes this.
  16. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

17. theflow

theflow New Member

I've been working on a polished version of the UI (BA ships with)

You can see it in one of recordings. Probably put into ba in a couple of weeks (when I take over to maintain the gfx side of it, current dev is retiring soon) The new Spring engine version has just been released too. (not deployed on all servers yet)

Nicb1 and cdrkf like this.
  18. cdrkf

Flow! Good to see you on pa, how are you finding it? (im [PRO]_Jazz on spring)...

Btw the ui looks better than the normal ba one (although I still like default spring engine hi lol, guess it's cause I've known it for so long).
  19. tashadan

tashadan Active Member

Did you even read my post properly? I said you can build all factories from start. You can not do that in TA. You at least have to tech from t1 to t2.
    cdrkf likes this.
  20. cdrkf

Yeah the xta mod uses 'flat' tech for factories too, although in practice you can't build the higher ones until late game anyway due to resource constraints. Not something I'm fond of as it removes some of the strategy in your opening build imo.
    igncom1 likes this.