T2 Orbital Siege Teleporter Idea

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by meir22344, June 2, 2014.

1. meir22344

meir22344 Active Member

Here is my idea for a 1-way orbital siege teleporter for establishing beachheads on an enemy held planets.

The orbital siege teleporter consists of 2 parts:
    -the ground based up-link gate
    PA T2 Siege Teleporter Uplink Gate.png
    -teleports units in a small 360 degree radius around the uplink
    -has high transfer rate
    -has higher energy cost than the T1 teleporter
    -generates a jamming field that stops enemy units from teleporting inside your base
    -built with T2 fab's
    -very expensive

-the siege teleporter satellite
    PA T2 Orbital Siege Teleporter.png
    -uses area commands to create a teleportation zone
    -scatters teleported units randomly within the teleportation zone
    -very fragile only needs 1 shot from an umbrella to be destroyed
    -built from the orbital factory
    -very expensive

Edit: the T2 orbital siege teleporter can also teleport aircraft.
    Last edited: June 2, 2014
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

What is it with people and teleporters?

What's wrong with having a d-day landing?
    Pendaelose likes this.
  3. meir22344

meir22344 Active Member

There's nothing wrong with having a d-day landing this idea is merely to give an option to the player on how to invade an enemy held planet.
  4. zomgie

zomgie Member

Problem with d-day landing:
    Orbital/Air defense > Unit Offense
    Teleporter gates are susceptible to bombers/artillery/catapults.

Also more than a hundred astreauses just reduces (at least for me) the game to unplayable levels of lag.

The siege teleporter sounds pretty cool, but it seems like they are just in place of a unit cannon. Especially with the large random spread of units within the drop zone. But with that no longer a possibility, I guess orbital teleporters are the next best thing. The only problem is an exit point is still required, and especially with low health the satellite will just get destroyed instantly.
  5. igncom1

Lag shouldn't be a reason as to invalidate this method of assault, especially as this is a game about huge army's, not single do all teleporters.

It's always been strange to me that people just can seem to conceive that in order to invade with the orbital transports, that we really do need a good force of them to invade with a single drop, not the 30 something scouting party's that I have seen some people need.

I mean, the d-day landings were not a fun thing, and had many people killed as soon as their transports attempted to unload.

Its kinda expected that heavy casualty's would occur.
  6. meir22344

meir22344 Active Member

The reason that the orbital siege teleporter satellite would have low health is so that you have to secure orbital and scout the land below to see if its safe to move the satellite into orbit seeing as the satellite is very expensive to build you really don't want it getting destroyed by an umbrella

the other point to having low heath is so that you are discouraged from using the satellite as a throw away unit when the satellite is meant to be reused and the reason the satellite is expensive is that unlike the normal T1 teleporter this T2 teleporter can transport air to another planet.
  7. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

I get like a 10 FPS drop when I do more than 100 at a time. And even then, 100 units are just not significant enough to attack a well defended planet with a standing garrison.(AI loves to leave its legions of bombers lying around.)

While I have nothing against teleporters or a d-day style landing, what we do need to do is making it easier for orbital nukes to affect a large area, selecting all of the nuke launchers and doing an area attack should cause the nukes to spread out and hit in different places in order to make the largest radius possible, instead of all hitting the same spot like they do now.

Another good idea is a multiple unit transport. While there are animation and technical limitations to this, I feel like it can be done efficiently and effectively. I still support the idea of one massive Ork Rok type ship, or a one-time use five unit drop pod kind of thing.(Like the Space Marine drop pods, you just cant use them again.)
  8. igncom1

Yeah, I really want the transport to be the one shot rocket so we can automate the delivery of units to other planets.

Like imagine having 100 rockets drop of units ever 2 mins or so?

The first few waves might get shredded, but attrition soon starts to kick in and it's all good gravy.
  9. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

The better question though would be how it would all work. What would the rockets be built from? If they're one time use rockets, you can hardly launch it or build it in space, load up units from the ground, and then send it off. It just wouldn't make sense.

The only feasible option I can see, aside from having a special building just to build them, is to have it built in the orbital launcher, and have a launch button, and you just load units into it before you launch it and send it on its way.
  10. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

What if you loaded the Astraeus worked as it does now, but when given an unload command, it smashes into the ground and becomes wreckage? Units could be given the Orbital Launcher as the rally point and would wait there for a lander, before being loaded into it and landed on another planet.
  11. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

I suppose the Astraeus could have two modes. A lander and a pod, because it looks like the arms could fold up to become more like a drop dop.

One mode is the slower lander mode, and the drop pod mode would be a lot faster, but you cant switch it back afterwards, and crashes when when you tell it to unload. It would allow for quicker descents and unloadings, but it could be a little OP if you have enough of them. In that mode, I'd recommend like a 8~10% death rate, yknow, cause they're crashing. Some units are bound to be dying in the crash.

On the other hand, its still a rather slow and costly method. It would be sped up much more with a mutli-unit, single use pod-esque transport.
    optimi likes this.
  12. igncom1

You would set the end point from the orbital launcher, and set it to autobuild transports, you then set a factory to use the launcher for it's built units, but prevent the launcher from auto firing the transport until it's loaded.
  13. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

That would work too, but preventing the launcher from firing while it has a rally point on it from a bot/vehicle factory would need to be coded in, to prevent the orders UI from becoming more cluttered.
    igncom1 likes this.
  14. meir22344

meir22344 Active Member

I made a model of an orbital gate/weapon that had 2 modes the 1st mode was to use the drop-pod idea that you guys are talking about and the 2nd mode acted like a focused very small radius nuke delivery system here's a picture of the gate:
    PA Orbital Gate Cannon.png

This model and concept was the precursor to the idea at the beginning of this thread
    igncom1 likes this.
  15. igncom1

You are a good modeller, and have good ideas.

It's just me however, because certain things to me don't really make much sense when we have nanolathes.

But please, don't let me get you down.
  16. meir22344

meir22344 Active Member

Thank you how ever i'm a 3rd rate modeler that taught him self without using tutorials or any documentation
    and i abandoned the idea because i couldn't get the firing gate that is built in your base right and i don't know how to code
    Here's a picture of the firing gate:
    PA Orbital Gate Cannon Firing Gate.png