System designer eek!

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by violetania, August 31, 2015.

1. violetania

violetania Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I skimmed through the forums to check if there have been any questions about this.... so i really hope i haven't missed anyone's post about this.
    Anyways, since the new patch came out i can't save any systems... at all >.< it will save planets sometimes and i'll have the planet in the 'my planet' tab but in terms of systems it really doesn't like it!
    I've turned of all my mods and I've tried changing csgs and names of the planet and the system.
    Anyways, anyone have any ideas???

Thanks ^^
    Violet
  2. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

What happens when you try to save the system?
  3. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

This is new. I haven't heard of this one before D:
  4. violetania

Nothing happens, i click save system and nothing happens, and when i go to close it's like your system hasn't been save, discard or save?
    And when i choose save it does nothing as well, drives me mad! Ahaaha >.<
  5. stuart98

Could you run the game with --nomods, repro this bug, close the game, and then post the log file here?
  6. violetania

I would not even know how to report a bug.... i'll try? hahah ^^
  7. mered4

Did you set a starting planet?

Is the naming field blank?

What mods do you have installed?
  8. violetania

yes, yes, and a lot, but i disabled all of them to make the maps cause i know they screw with pa sometimes.
    Usually i have: a bunch of map packs then blue inferno flame, blueprint info framework, connect buttons, display rank clien, floatin framework, pink heart metal, hotbuild 2, infinite build, nukes: rainbow hears, pa chat, pa-fx, pa:t more pew pew, rainbow: commander landing, rainbow:heart ping, hello kitty commander icon, team coloured chat, exodus esports.
    Don't judge me on how many mods i have =P
  9. stuart98

Your log file is found in %localappdata%\uber entertainment\planetary annihilation\log

Just do what I told you above, then find the most recent .txt file in there, post it to pastebin.com, and link it here.
  10. mered4

hm. Have you tried rebooting your PC?

Have you tried backing up your planets folder and then erasing it?
  11. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

Some weird bugs seem to be hiding in the system editor. Yesterday i was trying to save a system, and when i loaded it the spawns where moved and some mex where gone.
  12. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

This is unfortunately not a new bug. I've come across it five or six times now (from other users). Somehow the local storage that PA uses can become corrupted. I don't know how. Do you sometimes run multiple instances of PA maybe?

Anyway, the result is that no more new systems can be saved. They only way to fix it, is to clear the entire configuration of PA. That means you'll need to export all of you current systems. You'll also lose all of your settings, locally saved games, mods, Galactic Wars, etc..

To reset your configuration, you'll need to go here:
    Windows: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Uber Entertainment\ (Just copy-paste this in the address bar of Explorer)
    OSX: ~/Library/Application Support/Uber Entertainment/
    Linux: $HOME/.local/Uber Entertainment/
    Then rename "Planetary Annihilation" to "Planetary Annihilation.bak" (while PA is closed of course). Then when you start PA, it will create a new "Planetary Annihilation" directory with a clean configuration. You'll be able to save systems now.

If you ever want to check you old configuration, you can just rename the new "Planetary Annihilation" to something else and rename "Planetary Annihilation.bak" back to "Planetary Annihilation".
    violetania and tatsujb like this.
  13. violetania

Denim you are useful as ever <3
    And yea sometimes i run 2 pa's at the same time.... *sigh* i suppose i'll just make maps on another computer.... any idea how to export planets? i can only seem to figure out how to export systems, not saved planets >.<
    Also y so buggy *tear* oh well
  14. elodea

elodea Post Master General

This is an age old bug from pa classic that was reported but never fixed.

*nvm denim beat me to it.

To export saved planets, make a system with it. You'll find that to do alot of actual system editor stuff you'll need to export systems, manually edit or copy/paste code into the file and reimport.
    violetania likes this.
  15. DeathByDenim

Yeah, it's annoying. I have a broken config on my computer that I've been playing with every now to try and fix it without resetting the configuration, but so far no luck. I'm also not entirely sure if it counts as a bug if it's really true that running multiple instances of PA causes it. Files are generally not happy if two programs write to them simultaneously.

PA does however have a parameter called --localstorageurl which you can use to run multiple instances of PA on the same computer. So for instance if you run PA as:
    Code:
    PA --localstorageurl MrFluffy
    then PA will create a new blank config in the MrFluffy subdirectory of your default config directory. That new blank config is independent of the default configuration. You can simply make a new shortcut to PA that includes that localstorageurl parameter. In that way you can run two PAs at the same time without worrying of corrupting your config in such a way that the system designer breaks. Of course that means that you'll need to export the systems you create and reimport them in the default config. (The name MrFluffy is of course chosen arbitrarily. :))

@elodea : Great idea about the saving of planets. It hadn't occurred to me that you could do that. Thanks!
    violetania likes this.
  16. deadagain7

deadagain7 New Member

I am having the same problem that violetania was. I have no mods installed and tried resetting the configuration, still no luck. Has anyone else come accross this problem? :(
    I recently got this game and spent a couple hours fiddling with the system designer trying to come up with a fun system for my friend and I to play. It stinks that we can't play a custom map by one of ourselves.
  17. DeathByDenim

So you have never been able to save any system? Are you sure you have set one of the planets to be a "Starting planet"?
  18. deadagain7

deadagain7 New Member

So you have never been able to save any system? Are you sure you have set one of the planets to be a "Starting planet"?[/QUOTE]

yeah :( I went into "Edit planet" and checked the box that said "use as starting planet". I thought that maybe I just did something with the planets being too big or something to cause it not to save. But i've tried just plopping in one planet and not changing anything but setting it as the starting planet. I press the save button. then close. and I don't have it in my systems. or i'll hit close first, and then it asks if I want to save. Still doesn't work. Maybe I just don't know where to find it? I tried to before any mods, and I couldn't seem to find it in the list. I've tried changing one of the existing systems too, and changing the name of it, nothing changed about it. I tried installing the share systems mod too. after saving the system, it wasn't in the "my systems" tab. Tried clearing the configuration again, and still no luck.. :/
  19. DeathByDenim

Yeah, that's really strange. I've never seen that one before.

Could you go to configuration directory? There should be a log subdirectory there. Delete all of the log files there. Then start PA, and try to create and save a new system. A new log file should appear. You can upload that here using the "Upload a File" button on this forum.
  20. deadagain7

deadagain7 New Member

ok

Attached Files: