Supreme commander all over again

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Timevans999, July 28, 2013.

1. Timevans999

Timevans999 Active Member

It is becoming obvious to me that this game is going to be better suited to a computer that may be available in 5 to 10 years with the possible help of Graphene and moors law. Until then I will be happy to run it in a limited capacity.
    I except this completely in the same way as supreme commander when that didn't run on its generation of computers(core 2). There is no alternative because WE want the grandiose scale. I just can't see anyway that this will run on hundreds of planets at the same time.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Yes, Clearly the ALPHA STATE OF THE GAME WHEN IT DOESN'T HAVE ANY OPTIMIZATIONS YET is clearly indicative of the final product.

Calm down.

Mike
  3. Timevans999

4. KNight

Yet you seem to have already decided what to think.

Mike
  5. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Who the hell is Moor, and why is he making laws? He's not the boss of me. I won't let him tell me what to do!

[PS:] Contrary to what Time Vans thinks, PA ever was meant to;
    Don't know who said what to make anyone think that.
  6. Timevans999

Stop and remember I want this game more than anyone
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's why developers don't like to release stuff so early. This game use engine created from scratch, it's cross-platform, it's use unique (for RTS) architecture. And it's awesome stable compared to any other alpha I seen...

Many released games have worse performance... On this alpha I started to understand why neutrino and garat repeat "IT'S (PRE-)ALPHA", "IT'S NOT FINAL QUALITY" for 50 times on each stream.
    Last edited: July 28, 2013
  8. KNight

Which just makes you quick to judge it seems, often falling to assumptions based on little or nothing, I would suggest next time you take some thing to think on things before you bring them to the forums, don't be afraid to research things before posting.

Mike
  9. Timevans999

Its not judging I'm worried about the performance of my own rig and how i'm going to run this puppy. I think if a game wont run on your computer through lack of performance then that is the benchmark of a game that will deliver over long term. Good value for money and with future proofing its clever.
  10. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Also, according to other thread you got this videocard:
    It's from 2009, at least 3 years old, it's not "this generation" hardware. I got newer AMD card, but it's also it's working perfect.

I also tested game on Intel HD 3000 which is joke compared to proper GPU and game performance is good here, in terms of Intel of course. So say thanks for AMD for their awesome drivers. :D
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I tested this game on super-slow hardware: mobile i3 CPU with Intel HD 3000 and 4GB RAM and it's works, not perfect, but totally playable. No crashes, no freezes, no texture glitches like on AMD hardware.

I don't believe to garat before try it myself, but now I totally sure this game will be 100% playable on Intel HD 4000 which is same low-end hardware.
  12. Timevans999

To close to 8000 series gpu to get anything else now
  13. Timevans999

Not my quote.
  14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I don't mean you need to buy new GPU, but your GPU isn't anything like "this generation". I also want to say that current alpha version is heavily GPU-bound and AMD drivers are bad, so they aggravate the performance gap. While super-slow Intel HD card have really good performance because Intel drivers are good.

PA client doesn't need lot of CPU power and can work with fairly low memory, so if you run game on Core2Duo processor and 4GB of RAM and your videocard you will get same performance as you get currently with your super expensive CPU and 32GB of RAM. Get my idea?
  15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Sorry, I just copy/pasted it wrong. Fixed now.

I want to quote this:
  16. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Do you even know what an Alpha is?

They haven't even begun to optimize it yet.
  17. Timevans999

Well your right with your origin assessment the card does need replacing. I just like to get as modern a card as possible.
  18. SXX

SXX Post Master General

You need also consider that situation with PA alpha isn't same as with SupCom, because it's was CPU-bound game which used only one CPU core for simulation, it's also was heavily limited by 32-bit executable and not perfect networking code.

And client for PA it's just viewer, it's only use CPU for map generation.
  19. Daddie

Daddie Member

Ah... but there is a difference between the server and client.. If you want you can rent a server with loads of CPU and run your PA server and host hunderds of planets at the same time. The client only needs to show the planet where you are fighting on that moment.

But I guess you are not a programmer or have any other relevant IT knowledge and thats fine. Just trust us that PA is compleetly different. PA is scaleable and allows ever bigger planets and galaxies as the computers get faster and faster.. which was not the case with supcom.
  20. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Not entirely. The client needs to store all the planets (and generate them locally). It doesn't need to store all the unit, but it does need to store all the units that player knows about via intel. So your RAM will still get hammered, as will your GPU. CPU usage on the client will be less than expected though.