'sup Uber

Discussion in 'Uber Entertainment Discussion' started by Col_Jessep, May 27, 2009.

1. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

*pokes the forum to see if it's still breathing*

Anybody around here? Any news? How is it going, anything you can show us or talk about?

I want to be Uberly entertained! :mrgreen:
  2. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

We're still here. Sorry I've been quiet. We're in full on busy mode at the moment. Should hopefully be coming out of it soon.

Game is looking kick ***!
  3. Col_Jessep

So I guess you have the art team working on the game now. *wants screenshots, drool*
    I'm glad to hear you are making progress! Can't wait to see the pink unicorns in action on my Browser... ;)

Hopefully you'll find a good publisher and we will finally learn what this is all about.
  4. nyx

nyx Moderator Alumni

I check in here every day, more than once usually. I just don't have much to say, have been busy myself at work and training our new people.
  5. scathis

I'm also trying to come up with a new topic for a blog post.

Someone mentioned a 'day in the life' entry but that sounds boring.
  6. nyx

nyx Moderator Alumni

i haven't looked at the blog in a while. I should check that out.
  7. eetmorsqrls

eetmorsqrls New Member

the top three most awesome pranks pulled at uber entertainment? Winner gets a GeForce 7200LE?
  8. Col_Jessep

Let's play post your kitten then...

[​IMG]

DON'T trust the innocent eyes, she's a little devil!
    Not so little anymore actually, the pic is from 07.
  9. nyx

nyx Moderator Alumni

kitteh!!

sadly i don't have a kitty pic to post.
  10. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

I also frequent this forum, but don't post much. Work has finally gotten busier. Trying to work on my C++ skills, but just don't have a lot of time lately.
  11. scathis

The issue I have is that the blog is hard to write to when we can't talk about the game yet.

I would love to sit and write up what I'm currently working on, the challenges I'm having and the solutions I've come up with. And then throw it out there for all you guys to give input on.

That day is coming... it's just not today. :(
  12. Col_Jessep

If you don't have a kitty get one, they are so friendly little creatures. Especially at 4:30 AM when they are hungry and want to go for a stroll... Also, they never give up, not even after hours. Still, I can never be angry with them when they try to roll you out of the bed, stick a paw in your ear or wake you up by sitting on your face... :D

Scathis, if you can't talk about the game itself, maybe you can answer some general questions. I always wondered how long it takes to develop a character or a level. How many artists and coders are working on let's say 40 SupCom maps? And how long does it take you to go from a good concept to a working ingame model?

I know, it's different for each game and even character (PC/NPC) but maybe you can give a few examples based on SupCom and Demigod?
  13. nyx

nyx Moderator Alumni

Oh yes, I've had a few kitties, and scamps that they are, I still love 'em.
  14. Col_Jessep

When I'm reading in my bed (insomnia FTW!) she enjoys playing with my feet. Not really painful but the adrenalin rush you get from being bitten in the big toe just when you were about to fall asleep... :shock:
  15. eetmorsqrls

eetmorsqrls New Member

yeah, my last girlfriend did that too...
  16. Col_Jessep

Maybe you should have showered before going to bed then... ;)

PS:
    [​IMG]
    Just found this on Icanhascheezburger.
  17. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Honestly I'm not the guy to ask about specifics of how long it takes to create art but here's my $0.02.

It varies a lot depending on the game and the expected quality. A main character is going to get more time than something you see in the distance. Once you have a concept doing a high quality model is about a man month of work (very rough estimate). Animation is added on top of that but the same animation is often used on multiple different characters.

A lot of this varies depending on what you're trying to do. Building an RTS unit is different than building a character in an FPS etc.
  18. Col_Jessep

Thanks for the answer neutrino! I read an interesting article about a similar subject. They were talking about 3D engines and why the changes in the graphic quality become more subtle over time. A company specialized on 3D stuff said they needed 7 days for a GTA III car model back in the day 2003 and 4 years later it would take up to 3 month (Test Drive or something) for a single modeler.

I think we might have reached a point where you really need to ask yourself if it is worth to push every engine and level to the limit. Often I think a game might have profited more from a better story and increased testing. But I guess we will see a lot more outsourcing and use of prebuild engines (UTIII) anyway. At least I hope we do, many games have become shallower and less interesting with every game in the genre. I can't stand WWII games anymore for example, they all blur together after a while and I wonder how many times Omaha beach has been rebuild in 3D...

You are not making a WWII shooter, right?!?!?!? I hope you are not. :shock:
  19. Cartogan

Cartogan New Member

Heres my basket cat

"taking the laundry basket firmly"

Attached Files:

20. Col_Jessep

:D Theres nothing like fresh laundry.