[Suggestion] Start Icon LOD adjustment and optimization.

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Tontow, July 2, 2013.

1. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

The standard practice, with most if not all, models is to switch to a lower grade model the further away the camera is. But I don't know if SupCom 1 or 2 did this with strategic icons.

With that in mind, here are my suggestions:

1. Give us a slider so that we can set how far out the camera need to be in order for strategic icons start showing up.

-Depending on the size of your screen, strategic icons may kick in too soon or too late.
    On my big screen they kick in too soon.
    but for smaller screens the current setting may be just right.

-And it could also be used to give weaker computers a boost in performance (if combined with my second suggestion).

2. Once the camera zooms out far enough to completely overlap or hide a unit or building underneath, completely replace the unit/building model with the strategic icon. (Vary when the Icons kick in.)
    IE: The factory. I don't need an icon for it so soon because I can still see that it is a factory without the icon, but for smaller units (,like a mini crawling bomb,) it may need to kick in sooner.

3. Adjustment bars for each size class of unit/building for when Icons kick in.
  2. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

All good stuff but we have other fish to fry at the moment. This is polish stuff and we have entire areas that are missing right now.
  3. retrry

retrry Member

Please don't loose simplicity by adding tons and tons of configurable options...
  4. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

Agreed, much much bigger fish to deep fry. But I thought I would put this out there for when its time for the hot wax and polish. :)

Most games have your bear bones basic settings, and then you have that nice button marked advanced, this would most likely be in the advanced settings for the most part.
  5. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Ironically right now rendering the strategic icons is slower than rendering the units for most systems... which is one of those bigger fish.

Either way it's a polish feature that's trivial to add once we've gotten further with some other basic features.