Suggestion: Single commander multiple players

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cat2phat, March 9, 2013.

?

Would you be interested in this feature?

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. Cool concept, but no

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. No

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. cat2phat

cat2phat New Member

The suggestion comes from another RTS (I believe the original Starcraft) where there was one base, or commander in this case, and multiple users could control the units on that team. Essentially, one user could concentrate on building, while the other could focus on the front end.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I'm guessing you didn't check the Confirmed Features Sticky, in particular;

IT also just in general comes up a lot, there are some neat threads and ideas getting bounced around, you can use this Forum Search Guide to make it easier to find them.

Mike
  3. cat2phat

cat2phat New Member

Apparently I mis-read that as assigning units off like in supreme commander.
  4. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Currently the way I think about this is number of commanders per army being a setting in the lobby and/or can be changed by game type.

Another current design direction is being able to build (very expensive) commanders as a goal during the game. After all how do you take over the galaxy without building more commanders? Race you to 10...
  5. cat2phat

cat2phat New Member

If I get the idea right, you could make it a static army scenario (no building) if you wanted, or have one commander for an entire team of 3 people. That would be awesome.

LOL. Reminds me of Sim Ants! That's awesome.
  6. xcupx

xcupx Member

I love the creative ideas coming out of this team! That does sound fun :D
  7. Jaedrik

Jaedrik Active Member

Hey guys, remember in BattleZone II where you could select Pilot or Commander in the game? The Pilot controlled all the units created by the Commander, who controlled all the synthesizing and scavengers and constructors.
    Man that was fun, would be an awesome game mode.
  8. instantshadow

instantshadow New Member

i am sorry but that can be exploited, if you're friend dc or just don't give a damn you're plane will crash
  9. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

This mode could end up being really great, especially if you find a way to officially track "comms deployed" vs. "comm's destroyed".

It might be a good idea to separate the cost between getting more Commanders, and using them as a victory condition. Building a Comm is good, but it's not destroying the universe if it's sitting in a warehouse. It must be loosed upon the galaxy for it to count.
  10. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to do this. Have one commander with a bunch of subordinate commanders which would control units and stuff. What would be *especially* cool is if the subcommanders could take control of the unit's aim directly.

But that has never turned out well in an RTS, and usually ends up being more detrimental than fun.
  11. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

The idea here is more that you end up with multiple players each of whom start with a commander. To win you have to kill all of the other teams commanders. I'm not a fan of the idea of sub-commanders.
  12. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

If there's a big enough gap in player skill, you'll see a natural division of leadership. The more skilled leaders will tell the new players what to do.

By that, I of course mean "they will rage and yell at you to L2P before Ctrl-K'ing their commander inside your base".
  13. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

bob, u so silly. This isn't Starcraft :p
  14. nickgoodenough

nickgoodenough Member

What about a VOLTRON feature for team play, if all the team commanders are in the same area they can fuse together into a single monster commander. :lol: That would be hilarious.
  15. djunreal

djunreal New Member

These are commanders, not power rangers, you know...
  16. ilastsamuraii

ilastsamuraii New Member

Fusing together doesn't seem like such a great idea, but some kind of interaction between commanders would be a great new idea imo.

There are 2 others things we have to think about though:

- if there are several commander, how do they communicate? If they can all controll units but they aren't on skype/ts/whatever it could end in utter chaos

- how does economy/sharing works. If they use the same buildings/units they have to use the same resources too. That could end in one player building something too expensive and shutting down economy for the whole team.

I would suggest to offer 2 alternatives:

1. "real" teams could use full sharing of all units/buildings/resources
    2. "normal" teams have seperate units/buildings/resources but easy share mechanisms like sharing control of certain units (while not gifting them away entirely).

@Galactic war: This would be awesome. Whenever you are winning your map you could use your resources to build new commanders which could then be filled by new human players and be teleported to other battlefields (or fight one the same).
    My only concern: isn't that boring for the guys building coms? I mean if you have to fight an enemy you don't have the resources to build something like that. But if you already won (and have the resources) you have nothing to do but building up your base + commanders.
    So are there gonna be "empty" battlefields just for resources/commander buildings/... on galactiv war? Or just "active" battlefields?
  17. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Oh... Wow.

That actually made me sit in awe for a moment.