[Suggestion/Request] Box selection unit priority

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by infuscoletum, August 7, 2013.

1. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

Right now, you can have like 100 fabs with a single combat unit somewhere in there, and only the combat unit will be selected. Kindof annoying. And pretty much every unit has higher priority than factories.

Ctrl could be used to force priority of selection to fabbers/commander. And alt could be to force priority to factories. I think this change would make economy management a little easier even in it's currently unfinished state. Alt-box select some factories, then s to stop!

That still leaves shift to add more units by box selection like it does now.
    zaphodx, Miaku, carpetmat and 4 others like this.
  2. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

This is actually a great idea! Very useful! +1
  3. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

BOCKSES FOR THE BAWKS GOD

Okay but seriously now, +1.
  4. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

/signed or '+1' or whatever other way you want to put it.
  5. infuscoletum

Nice to see I'm not alone or crazy with this idea :D
  6. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Second suggestion while at it:

Please evaluate circular selections as a replacement for rectangular ones. Drag starts at the center of the circle and goes out to the border.
    Refined version would add a filter popup at the END of the selection which can be triggered by holding a certain modifier key during the release event. Popup is placed right next to the cursor and only contains options based on what is in the selection.
    If mouse hits the border of the screen during drag, zoom out as the user probably wants to create a selection which is bigger than the current viewport.
    Drag is allowed in any direction beginning from the center.

Why? Because unit-blobs tend to have just that shape and trying to find the precise starting point in the void to precisely cover a circular blob is a bit counterintuitive, while finding the center of a blob is an easy task for any human.

Also means halved mouse movement for covering the same area and less false positives, where your selection already intersects with another blob of units.
    Last edited: August 17, 2013
    carpetmat, lokiCML and infuscoletum like this.
  7. Cheeseless

Cheeseless Member

I agree with the OP, and also with extterminans' extension. Circular selection will greatly reduce the amount of mouse movement necessary for an action that doesn't actually have relevanceto thee gae in and of itself.

PS: I'm back :D
  8. Reminblack

Reminblack New Member

+1 for the OP, +1 for the selection idea however it should be optional or with some kind of modifier key rather than standard. for if you still have rectangular selection duties. (say factories or anything)
    lokiCML likes this.
  9. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

Yes please.
  10. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Great idea, being able to control whether or fabbers are selected or not would be most welcome.

The idea of a circular selection instead of a rectangular one is also a good one, but I believe it should be optional; use a modifier key if you want a circular selection area, otherwise it is rectangular as normal.
  11. carpetmat

carpetmat Member

Likes all around!
  12. infuscoletum

I'm still amazed at the love this is getting :D

Really hope uber implements something soon, especially with adding orbital units to the mix. Box selection based on zoom level, or something. It also makes me think that a smooth zoom right out to celestial will be annoying when dealing with orbital.............
  13. acetylene7

acetylene7 Member

Maybe this idea could be taken further, how about a button to hold down for fabbers, one for ground units and one for aircraft? Let's say you could hold down Alt to force selection to ground units - useful if you want to select all of your tanks in your base but you have lots of patrolling aircraft.

Ontop of that you could hold down two of these keys to force a selection between two types of units. You could hold down Ctrl and Alt to force selection to fabbers and ground units - useful in an instance you need to move everything on the ground to another location.
  14. glinkot

glinkot Active Member

A modifier to select certain unit types would be great. As someone said, selecting 20 fabbers and ending up selecting the one leveller sitting in the middle of them is annoying.

Some UI buttons to filters for certain types of units/layers would be useful, as I do think the hotkeys are getting a bit crowded. Layer visible/invisible/show only this layer would be great to show only air units, or only combat units, or only vehicles etc.
    Last edited: September 2, 2013
  15. nutterboy

nutterboy Member

+1 to the selection idea :D