Suggestion: molten/ full lava planets

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by christopher1006, August 31, 2012.

?

Would you like to have molten/lava planets?

1. has lava specific units

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. parts of it are traversable ground

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. units may be able to utilise lava in weapons

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. most units can operate on lava planets

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. all units can operate on lava planets

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. some units can operate on lava planets

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Yes

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  9. is a full lava planet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. christopher1006

christopher1006 Member

Something I thought that would be a good thing to have as a stretch goal is molten planets and units for it. Basically what I mean is that when you watched the trailer I'm sure you remember the state of the planet after asteroid impact, what I want is planets naturally in that state and either heat proof buildings or orbital units for mining the planet. This would be a way to provide a purpose for the destroyed planets. Please post thoughts, criticism and your own ideas for this.

Edit:updated the poll options, select multiple options, up to five.
    Last edited: August 31, 2012
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

If destroyed planets are useful afterwards, then you're not destroying them so much as changing their paint-job.
  3. felipec

felipec Active Member

Lava tsunamis!!!!!!!!!!!! \o/
  4. christopher1006

christopher1006 Member

I put it badly, I'll elaborate, when we saw the planet it wasn't fully destroyed apparently but what I'm saying is that while I believe there should be the ability to completely destroy the planet there should be the ability to continue the battle just with different slightly more expense in buildings and you would only be able to use air units as using the ground would be problematic. It's just a way to keep the war going for longer and provide a new challenge for taking control of the surface... Or you could just finish it off with another asteroid if you just wanted that planet obliterated.
  5. nemoricus

nemoricus Member

Molten worlds would be nice, though I think they should mostly just be retextured regular plants with 'water' you can't traverse/build in.

Lava specific units should be a very low priority, for one of the late stretch goals if at all.
  6. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

I said yes, but for it to be any fun, it would NEED to have it's own unique units that make use of it's properties. I really wouldn't care much about untraversable (which I hate) retextured (which wouldn't actually need much work) water. Of course, lava tsunami's would NOT be unique, seeing as water will already have that.

I could see units that USE lava, even without it being a type of terrain. Maybe a unit that super heats earth that it picks up, shoots it at an enemy, which damages it a bit and solidifies, temporarily turning it into a stone statue (until it breaks out, or someone breaks it out). Another possibility my be using the "nuke drilling" ideas not to destroy the planet, but to create new volcanoes that would destroy nearby units/structures, and make nearby terrain very dangerous.

Lava worlds? Wouldn't really want it. Units using lava in some ways? Might be cool.
  7. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

I don't agree with lava-specific units, I see them as being the equivalent of gas-giants: you can't use the land, so only orbitals or floating ("air"-suspended) platforms/bases.

I did vote yes though.

(Maybe the poll could be modified in some way... I'm tempted to vote no because I don't want to support special units for lava only worlds)
  8. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

The lava units I was suggesting weren't for lava planets, but units you could use anywhere, utilizing lava that doesn't have to be on the surface of the planet beforehand.
  9. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

Hrmm, hovercraft? But you'd still need SOME land.
  10. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

Exactly, I'm kind of upset I clicked yes as FULL lava planets sound kinda pointless outside of being a less useful version of gas planets. I wouldn't mind lava being implemented in the way I mentioned before (units creating it as a weapon).

EDIT: o_O

oooooh, SWEET! A forum where you can actually change your votes!
  11. sullenone

sullenone New Member

I can't say I'm for lava planets other than perhaps being treated in a similar way to gas giants. Maybe some differences in the sense of resource extraction, but in both cases being completely unable to land units on the surface. Or perhaps being able to use them in some other mega construction.