Suggestion: Make Power Generators Upgradable like Metal Generators

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mredge73, March 25, 2014.

?

Should Power Generators be upgradable?

1. Yes

36.8%
  2. No

63.2%
  1. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

The metal generators can be upgraded to T2 by just building over the existing ones; so why can't I replace my power generators with T2 the same way?
    The original power generator will need to have a bigger footprint; but this would sure tidy up bases and get rid of T1 power generators that are of little use after 10-15 minutes of gameplay.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I don't see the point.

And the already built power generators aren't a waste. They're still supplying power.
  3. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Metal extractors aren't actually upgraded. It's just that you can fit both a basic and advanced metal extractor on the same spot.
  4. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Isn't that a bug?
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

No, the t2 extractor fits over the frame of the t1.
  6. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Nope.

Ninja'd
  7. Geers

How is being able to build directly on top of another building not a bug?
  8. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

It was done to save the tediousness of reclaiming and build or deleting and rebuilding. Real nice considering the alternative.
  9. Geers

Why can't it upgrade itself like the SupCom extractors? It seems really silly building a solid structure that clips into another solid structure.
  10. Clopse

Upgrade being the key word here. Won't be in the game. Too easy to click a mex and press upgrade. Some effort/strategy needed to manually do it.
  11. trialq

trialq Post Master General

They're not useless at all. Advanced power generators aren't that much more efficient than normal ones. Arguably if you have the map control, and too much metal to spend, spreading the power around in loads of T1 power isn't the worst idea. If nothing else, late game they're a good decoy as they stall an invading force if you've been caught with your pants down. This game is all about redundancy.

It seems silly creating a whole new mechanic, when it can be done easily with an existing mechanic.
  12. Clopse

Not entirely sure wether you are quoting me here and if so can you explain what mechanics you are talking about.
  13. robber364

robber364 Member

Here's how I understood it:

Initially, they planned to do something or other to allow for upgraded mexes, but to allow the game to function in the meantime, they allowed you to build a T2 on top of the T1 mex. Then, some point along the way, they decided that the interim system actually makes a lot of sense, and I for one, agree. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  14. Clopse

Was actually the other way around. In alpha we had to delete the mex, reclaim the wreck and then build the t2. Horribly tedious. The new method is better but I feel t2 output should have been adjusted accordingly.

Upgrading existing generators would just make a nuke even more powerful. Lack of Space has never been an issue for me this game.
  15. Geers

1000 posts. All thanks to me. You owe me.

Well done.
    Clopse likes this.
  16. trialq

trialq Post Master General

Geers suggested an upgrade mechanic, which is bad. The current mechanic of building a new building, is good.
  17. Geers

Ok, we'll do both.

Get engineers to just build the upgrade onto the T1 structure. Just as you build a second story on top of the first. You don't tear down the one-story building and build a two-story one, nor do you build a two-story building and place it in the same physical space occupied by the one-story building. You add to what's already there.
  18. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

I like how the metal extractors "upgrade" as of now. I am not suggesting to change that mechanic.
    My suggestion is that the generators to be allowed to do the same thing.

So please clarify one thing, if I build a metal extractor and a advanced metal extractor over the same spot; do I get the output of both at the same time or just the output of the advanced metal extractor? I didn't realize that there were 2 buildings there.
  19. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

It's not in the same space. The advanced mex has a hollow space inside it that is exactly the same shape as the basic mex.
    eroticburrito likes this.
  20. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

...that's exactly what we have now?

Am I missing something here?