(Suggestion) Make nukes Intercept moving planets.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by destravous, August 17, 2014.

1. destravous

destravous Member

I just finished a 6 player free for all with 2 planets, and one halleyeable moon. There were three players at the end, one controlling each planet. About a mineute before the end of the game, the halleyeable planet launches towards my planet. Seeing this, I quickly finish two nukes and launch them to try and take out the halleys before the moon smashes my planet. About 5/6 the way to my planet, the moon passes through my nukes, and my nukes continue their long trip around the sun to intercept the moon the long way. The moon then smashes my planet killing me and the person who launched it (his com was still on the moon! lol) And the third player on the starting planet wins the game.

My suggestion: if a nuke intercepts its target planet, make it hit it and detonate, or go to the orbital layer and try to go to its target location, instead of passing through it.
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

realistically if a nuke hits a target without actually triggering the atom splitting, it would just get smashed.

But we're aiming for awesome at Uber.

+1 from me
  3. CounterFact

CounterFact Active Member

I agree with this.
    Also, if 2 planets orbit the sun. And the planets and the sun happen to be on the same line (or close to that), why do the units need to fly all the way around the sun to get to the planet which is quite close if they were to go in a more or less straight line? I'm no space engineer, but it looks stupid for units to be flying all the way around for what could be a short trip in a straight line.
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

that's an obvious yes.
    gonna make a thread on this as has been my intention for a long time now, but I've already exposed how silly this is at every opportunity. I'm with you there.
  5. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

We could always just rationalize it by saying it detonates more like a proximity mine instead of being pre-calculated.
    What do you mean that makes no sense?
  6. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I think if you nuke the halleys, the planet will fail to smash.
    igncom1 likes this.
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

It returns to orbit the closest possible target.
  8. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

9. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Ah, got it. I didn't read the thread closely enough!