[Suggestion] Giant tunnels through the center of the planet

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tossha, August 29, 2012.

1. tossha

tossha New Member

Hello everyone. I'm very glad we reached the goal and I want to thank the developers and all the backers who helped the project. I'm glad i helped too.

I think it would be awesome to have an ability to build tunnels through its center of the planet to the other side of it, like we saw in the last "Total recall" movie. I think it can reveal great strategic and tactical abilities.

What do you guys think?
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Re: [Suggestion] Giant tunnels through the center of the pla

So you want to drill through the solid outer shell, into the mantle layer, through liquid outer core and solid inner core and come out the other side?

The pressure alone would crush......well anything really, we have a hard enough time diving to the bottom of the sea, how are we supposed to pass through an entire planet?

Mike
  3. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

"We are not shooting for realism... WE'RE SHOOTING FOR AWESOME"

- Scathis
  4. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

Yes, reminds me a bit of Metal Fatigue, where you had 3 levels to play on.

But to be honest, it sounds interesting, question is if you could still handle everything, not only fighting on ground, keeping an eye on Asteroids :) and be prepared for an underground attack...hehe. :)

Could be nice though, drill a tunnel under the enemy base and detonate a bomb, taking out a fusion reactor and half of the base, too. :)

Still, I just think it is getting too much, perfecting planet warfare, adding Navy and Orbital warfare...
  5. yinwaru

yinwaru New Member

I think there's a point where more stuff is too much. Keeping an eye on underground/underwater/surface/air/orbital layers for just one planet would be challenging, let alone multiple planets, moons, and asteroids. I think that underwater is enough.
  6. thefirstfish

thefirstfish New Member

Yeah I don't like this either in gameplay terms. Plus it should take so many resources to drill through a planet that it wouldn't ever be worth it even if it was possible. Plus how on earth do you drill a tunnel through a layer of liquid metal? I think there are degrees of unrealism and that's a few steps too far.
  7. abtesk

abtesk New Member

Then how about a geo-torpedo? I'm thinking in the style of Fringe. They used one several times as a plot device.

Of course, then you would not only need to watch out to all sides and above you, but also below you. A bit excessive, but manageable. Especially if you add a seismometer to scouts and telescopes as a means to gather intel.

You can also use it to make tsunamis.
    For example, you opponent captured some coastline. The adjacent ocean is directly below you (on the far side). Send a geo-torpedo to explode below the ocean floor, causing an earthquake, generating a tsunami, which then destroys your opponent's base.
  8. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

Seconded.

The game isn't 'realistic', but it doesn't employ physics from another universe. Tunnels through a planet uses physics from another universe.

I'm all for underground cavern bases, etc..., but that's different from swimming through zillions of tons of pressure and heat present at a planetary core.
  9. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Wasn't this a really bad sci-fi movie?
  10. yinwaru

yinwaru New Member

I caught the end of it on TV the other day.

I think "really bad" is a gross understatement.