[SUGGESTION/FEATURE REQ] - Comma rose, building mode (line/box) toggle etc

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by j4cko, July 30, 2014.

1. j4cko

j4cko Member

Hi,

Hope I'm writing in correct place :)

Been playing some time and there are couple things I didn't see discussed yet.

I know there is a mod to switch building of any structure in line or in box when dragging the mouse selection but what I would like is it being on some button as toggle. See in the start of the match we don't really build big farms of power plants etc as it is susceptible to attack - but once we have whole planet or we expand to a moon it would really speed up building planning process.

With recent changes to UI and team games and many discussions about communication I would really like to see comma rose introduced for different type of pings. The way I see it without really much thought is at least 6 options (too many though would create clutter so no go): On 1 side I/me move, I/me defend, I/me attack, on the 2nd side You move, You defend, You attack. This easy way would speed up comms. Of course we really need a fix so that players in same team but without shared army will see the pings :) And solution for the scenario with shared army players - maybe ping with nickname on top?

Also I would really like option on the Teleporters so that double left button mouse click on one changes selection to the other one - preferably when two teleporters are connected this way you can easily jump to the other end. (dunno how this should work when you are sending units via enemies teleporter though.. But it would be really useful as now you can create group and recall it once it is on another side and view will change - so maybe rule that it will switch to another teleporter if it is in your view?)

So here it is.. had some more but as per usual can really recall them when I want to write something ;)

Your thoughts?

Cheers!

J
  2. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Someone found my old avatar. Man I was confused looking at this thread.
  3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I was confused because I thought that was you, but you changed your name, and then a while back I saw a person named Gorbles (you) and thought it was someone else who had taken the name when you changed it... or that it was a second profile for whatever reason... funny. :p
  4. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I would love it if the box build mode returned as an option for energy plants. It'd make it so much easier for me to beat my opponents. :)

As for the communication, I agree. There needs to be better ways to communicate.
  5. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

I agree. Box was better and more convenient. The counterargument that they're nuke bait is only half true, such as if you built big clusters of them. I just built clusters of 5 spread out all over the place, and it was great.

Edit: written English still doesn't convey sarcasm.
    Last edited: July 30, 2014
  6. brianpurkiss

Yeah. They were great.

They were super easy to raid and destroy.
  7. popededi

Not if you spread them out properly and used your brain a bit. The same mistake can be made with line built powergens so I don't see your problem.
    maxcomander likes this.
  8. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

I must admit I prefer lines to circles if the only choice is one or the other, however having the ability to switch would be the ideal solution for me. Something like hold right mouse for line but then holding both mouse buttons gets you a circle.
    cdrkf likes this.
  9. brianpurkiss

The same mistake can be made with line build power gens, but most players aren't into the meta game or in the community. They just build some power gens. And even then, unless you're only building 4 power gen squares, it is more worth it to build in line mode. When you build them in box mode other than 4, they're easier to destroy in box mode.

You can queue up a ton more power gens a lot faster that are spread out and easier to protect when in line build mode than in box build mode.

My point is, there is never a situation where it's better to use box build mode for power gens. Sure, you could spread them out, but it'll take quite a few more clicks and more time to spread them out.

line > box in every way when it comes to power gens.
  10. popededi

That's your preference. Which doesn't really matter to the topic, since we're talking about an option not the default setting. I would simply like a click+drag - ctrl+click+drag relationship to be able to use both methods at will.

Also, your opinion is heavily biased towards competitive play. Which the majority of players won't really involve themselves in.
  11. brianpurkiss

It's not preference. It's a simple fact. If you build energy plants in box form, they are easier for me to raid and destroy.

Why does everyone use the competitive play excuse for things? First off, I am not biased towards competitive play. The majority of the games I play are against the AI. But even if I did play against players more, then that wouldn't really matter.

It doesn't matter if I'm playing against the AI, a casual multiplayer match, or a competitive tournament, box built power plants are easier to destroy.
  12. popededi

This is what you don't get. It does not matter. The discussion is about having a simple option to pick between the two build modes. You don't have to go around making your point all the time and everywhere just because it's slightly related to something you have a strong opinion about.
  13. brianpurkiss

As I stated previously, I have several points.

One of the points is new players will ignorantly use the inferior build order.

Also, as I stated previously, I welcome the addition of the option. I'll make for easier wins whenever I get back into multiplayer gameplay.
  14. LmalukoBR

LmalukoBR Well-Known Member

For defenses it would be nice, sometimes i want a line but other times i want to protect an area. For storage too.
    Sometimes u may want to save space. The thing is that it is good to have the option.
  15. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Well it was way to awesome to not expect someone to steal it !:p
  16. j4cko

j4cko Member

Hey, i had this avatar way back couple years :) On the topic tho..

anything about the Teleporters or the ping comm rose ??