Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

BTW we aren't requiring people to use steam, just making it an option. Just to be clear we have our own downloader as well.
  2. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

I'll cross post my FAQ update here as well:

What is the current state of the game?
    Alpha Period: June 7th through end of August
    Beta Period: September through November
    World Wide Launch: December 2013

If you were an early backer or pre-ordered through store.uberent.com, once Steam Early Access is live, a link to the key exchange will be provided here.

There is no differentiation between our Alpha and Steam Early Access, other than Steam Early Access does not start til June 7th. Alpha will start to roll out to early backers and Uber pre-orders prior to that time. You can play through UberNet OR Steam, if you decide to convert your key to a Steam key. However, once you convert to a Steam key, you MUST play through Steam.

If you wish to upgrade to alpha or beta access and you pre-ordered through us or were an early backer, you MUST upgrade through our website. There are no refunds or exchanges for buying through Steam. There is no way for us to process upgrades from Steam to our company purchase system. Go to http://store.uberent.com and login with your UberNet account if you wish to upgrade.
  3. ticklemeelmo

ticklemeelmo Member

Thank you so much! You have no idea how happy this makes me.
  4. antillie

antillie Member

I haven't been able to watch the live stream yet so I am going to take this as confirmation that PA will be available on Steam when it is released.
  5. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

Oh thank god, I was hoping I didn't have to wait QUITE that long :p

SO
    HYPE
  6. paschmaster

paschmaster New Member

Good decision guys! :)
  7. Zoughtbaj

Zoughtbaj Member

Considering how few early access games are available on steam, this sounds like a great marketing decision as well.

Great to hear it's on steam! I know that's a feature that a lot of people appreciate.
  8. extraspectre

extraspectre New Member

So we can't have a steam key unless we wish to play the game exclusively through the steam client?

Any reason that we can't just activate the game on steam in addition to having the game DRM-free from Uber?

There are many games out there(retail or sold from other digital distributors) that use CD-keys that also activate on steam.
  9. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I think it's more so akin to how Games for Windows Live games work on Steam, it's more so that your Updating and Launching the game via steam, but the rest happens via the GfWL Service, just replace GfWL with UberNet.

Mike
  10. monkeyulize

Where did you get that idea? You'll be able to do both at the same time.

I'm expecting it to be how CDPR does it with their witcher games, no matter where you buy it you'll always be able to redeem it for a DRM free download on GOG but you can also get steam versions.
  11. Sylenall

Sylenall Member

Huh, so when June 7th rolls around will the steam store be "open" or will it just be backers/pre-orders that converted their keys?

Will you be charging the same amount that alpha buyers have paid($90)? I mean it's only fair to existing customers, but I shudder at the thought of the general Steam community's reaction to a $90 early-access game.

@ Monkey:

12. monkeyulize

Ah, did not see that post.

Very strange approach.
  13. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

Why strange? It's logical. If you own a game on two different distribution platforms, you effectively have two copies of the game. But you only paid for one, right?
    Through, lack of ability to convert it back from steam is a bit restricting, but it's more of a technical issue.
  14. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

I don't see Linux mentioned on Steam either. I hate to keep banging on about it but I just hope we won't be waiting until after the full release on other platforms for the Linux build.
  15. monkeyulize

It's strange because I would think the game should be tied to your ubernet account (both steam key and non-steam) so that you can use either version to play.

I probably won't be converting it in this case since I want the flexibility of just having the raw game anywhere I want without logging into steam.
  16. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Ah, just when I wanted to go kneejerky I got preempted. :cry:

Good to hear that you guys got steam access, the more you sell, the better for the game. :mrgreen:
  17. redstar427

redstar427 Member

With a digitally downloaded game, free of DRM, that you can store and play anywhere, it provides a lot of freedom, so using the same game in Steam is less desirable.
    I just like using Steam vs. installing from disc, especially if the game on disc has DRM also.

As long as both ways can still play multiplayer games together, then it's simply a matter of convenience for each person.
    I could not find this answer in the forum, does anyone know for sure?
  18. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Steam just means you're technically Valve's customer, rather than ours. You'll still need to login to UberNet if you want access to the extra services UberNet provides. You'll still have a DRM free client (once we release the server to the public). Nothing changes. It's just a distribution platform.

And people already answered: you convert keys, because of the first part of this answer. They're different distribution platforms. :)
  19. Causeless

Causeless Member

"However, once you convert to a Steam key, you MUST play through Steam."

I really must admit, this is a massive dissapointment.

All this really shows to me, is that you guys don't trust your customers enough to give them 2 keys.
  20. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

Isn't this what I predicted?

[​IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.