Steam Early Access Page Now Live

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by chrislove01, May 17, 2013.

1. chrislove01

chrislove01 Member

Hi, im presuming that those who paid $90 for alpha will have access before those on Steam Early Access? If not, is steam access also going to cost $90?

PS its on steam now :)
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/233250/

Chris
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
  2. TELunus

TELunus New Member

Re: Steam Ealey Access

According to that site Steam early access for the game goes online next month, but We've heard that alpha will start this month.
  3. chrislove01

chrislove01 Member

The live stream, that just finished, said this is the alpha release.

Just wondering if its not public alpha (aka steam early access)

If so, im a but miffed :)
  4. pantsburgh

pantsburgh Active Member

It's not an open alpha. Only backers/preorders that have alpha access will have access to the Steam thing. That's the platform they're using to run the alpha testing.

This saves Uber a bunch of time working on infrastructure/logistics for the alpha testing (I think it does anyway?), so it sounds good to me.

Edit: This ^ is half wrong. Skip the rest of this thread and read Garat's explanation here: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=46120&start=33
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
  5. veta

veta Active Member

don't be, we likely won't be snubbed for supporting early and steam early access will only bring more feedback and attention to the game. We want more scrubs to beat not less ;)
  6. bjohannes

bjohannes New Member

I took what was said in the live stream to mean ANYONE who has pre-ordered, regardless of the edition, will get Steam early access. Is that true, or would you only get access if you had pre-ordered the Galactic or Cosmic Edition?
  7. pantsburgh

pantsburgh Active Member

I believe the way they're doing it is Steam early access is the platform they're using to fulfill the promised "alpha access" and "beta access" when you backed/pre-ordered the game. Only those whose backer/pre-order packages included those would get access at the appropriate time.

I think they've said they want to do an open beta at some point, but that'd likely be within the last month before launch or thereabouts.
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

from what they have said/written steam is not gonna be the main platform for the alpha. It's gonna be there and it's also gonna be on the uber-internal systems as far as I understand.
    From the news post it also reads like that the steam-access will be slightly behind the first alpha release. However that might be just wishful thinking from my side.
  9. trialq

trialq Post Master General

Thank you for the clarification. I was about to ask if steam was necessary, for some reason steam has come up a lot in topics regarding the alpha.
  10. Ti1t

Ti1t Member

pretty sure its the same time and thing. I'm wondering if the steam alpha will load a 'launcher' that then auto patches / downloads the game. Otherwise they would be uploading new patches and full installs to steam every time they change something. Probably something like League of legends / war thunder / starcraft2 etc etc
  11. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

People who preordered an edition with the Alpha get the Early Acess. People who didn't do that don't. Simple as that.

Its connected, you won't have to spend any more money for the Steam version.
  12. pantsburgh

pantsburgh Active Member

13. bloedhren

bloedhren New Member

Perfect timing for the alpha release. My semester ends on 31 of may. Can't wait to test all day long. I'm gonna go all aperture science on that one :)
  14. lollybomb

lollybomb Member

*looks at the steam page*

"Alpha requires a 64-bit operating system! 32-bit will come as soon as possible, but at launch for alpha, you MUST have 64-bit"

Crap. Yes, I'm still running 32bit. Why? Because I built this computer back when things were still transitioning, and 64bit wasn't quite as fleshed out as it is now. I have a 64bit CPU, but at that time of building only 2 gig of memory, and even now, only 4. Perhaps it is time to upgrade anyway.
  15. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

push all those lazy people to use 64 bit with PA. lol
  16. lollybomb

lollybomb Member

It was their plan all along. Doing some quick browsing I can upgrade pretty well for only $425. Mostly because I don't need a lot of the little things like HDD, DVD, Video card, case, power supply.

Actually I should swap out the DVD drive anyway simply because it's the last storage device still on IDE, and on further inspection the motherboard doesn't have IDE...

So new total of $442! That's including tax too.
  17. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

Steam early access will be used for people in the alpha/beta, but obviously it won't be open (then what would be the point of the preorders/kickstarter tiers?) and it won't be for everyone (see previous).

We will get access to alpha slightly sooner than steam early access starts though, according to the faq.
  18. Sylenall

Sylenall Member

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=46284

So it looks like it's going to be one or the other, drm-free from Uber, or you give that up(convert your key) and ONLY play through Steam.

That's a little sad, since I'll miss the social features of steam, but they're not worth any form of DRM, including the steam client. There are many games out there that allow activations on Steam through a CD-key, do you think you(Uber) could work something out for the final release if not the alpha/beta?
  19. pantsburgh

pantsburgh Active Member

In your steam library, in bottom left click Add a Game > Add a Non-Steam game. That adds a shortcut to the game in your Steam library, and launches the Steam overlay with it when you launch it with that shortcut. I don't think the Steam invite system works with this, however; just the overlay.
  20. chrislove01

chrislove01 Member