Stargates???

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by loganfrost97, July 2, 2014.

1. loganfrost97

loganfrost97 New Member

Are stargates out of the question? I'm essentially just talking about teleporters for the orbital layer. It could just be a floating ring in that layer.
    I was just trying to brainstorm ideas for breaking turtled in planets.

Let me know what you all think.
  2. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

well breaking the orbital layer isnt that hard, as all orbital units (besides anchor) can move directly from planet to planet, so its rather unneccessary. Its the ground thats hard to establish a beachhead
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I don't really think we have problems for breaking turtled planets.

They're called astroids.

Once we get astroid belts and proportional smashing, it won't be an issue.
    eroticburrito likes this.
  4. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Actually....

This wouldn't be a bad idea.
    REASONS FOR AWESOME: (Brian come to TS to discuss!)

Stargaaaaates innnnnn spaaaaaace!

It's another way to establish significance for an orbital presence above a fortified planet. In a recent Realm 4v4 test game in the PTE, with two smash moons and two regular planets, we had a long standoff over a misunderstood no halley rule (I swear, I was being sarcastic). I had established an orbital beachhead over an enemy planet, it just hadn't really done much other than provide intel and clear the ground in that area.
  5. loganfrost97

loganfrost97 New Member

Yes, but the ability to keep an influx of avengers and anchors and SXX that were pre built is easier than trying to build an orbital army there over enemy planet. With this you don't have to establish a foothold on surface and create orbital on enemy planet.
  6. loganfrost97

loganfrost97 New Member

Yeah I see what your saying. I thought about that, but I was still just trying to brainstorming ideas. I think the stargate has potential for other things as well. Such as moving your orbital army across the star system faster to defend a planet that doesn't have orbital army built yet or just for the sake of speeding things up. It can be painstakingly slow sometimes to wait for things to travel.
    Alsoooo.... Nuke travel reduction...surprise nukes!!!! Your opponent won't have minutes to prepare the incoming nuke attack!

EDIT: I see no reason orbital units should be left out of teleportation aspect of game.
    Lastly Stargates definitely have a cool factor as mered4 pointed out.
    Last edited: July 2, 2014
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

yeah, I may have been a little too blunt. I do that often.

Orbital stargates is a fun idea. But their usage is fairly niche and as such, their implementation is a low priority.

Would be a fun addition! There's just more important stuff out there.
  8. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I call them asteroids but ok.
    eroticburrito likes this.
  9. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i do not mind having asteroids or nukes as one option
    but there should definitively be ways to not be entirely reliant on those
    pure anchorsiege with avenger superiority while likely more difficult seems like a nice option too

inb4 spaceshipbombardment
    ... no i still dont want orbital destroyers in vanila
    Last edited: July 2, 2014
  10. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

Yeah, sarcasm just doesn't work over the internet, be it written or said. What I actually noticed that sarcasm doesn't work between cultures. I work in London, and I learnt to be sarcastic with my own nationality and language, as even the Brits don't get it when I'm sarcastic in english.

As for the topic, what I would prefer to see what direction Uber takes orbital movement mechanics before we add a spacegate. Mainly because right now units just appear above planets wherever a player clicks, which, while it does the job, isn't great for many reasons.
    muhatib likes this.
  11. MrTBSC

whichever direction they come from clockwise i think were they should have a fixed entry point is a planets equator as it´s the furthest rim i suppose
  12. mered4

That would make orbital defense far too easy and so far from reality that it's a little absurd. One of the big things about defending a planet is that it takes a massive amount of resources over time to deny your enemy access. That is, unless they spam avengers, and only avengers, there is just no way they can protect the entire planet seamlessly.
  13. MrTBSC

then something about the interplanetary orbitalflightpathes need to be changed or optimised ... it was just a thought anyway :( ...
  14. mered4

:(