Stargates and aircraft.

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by Tontow, January 18, 2014.

?

Should air units be able to use the stargate?

1. Yes

41 vote(s)
    45.6%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    42.2%
  3. Only certain aircraft should be allowed thought.

11 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

Should air units be able to use the stargate?
  2. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

For the moment perhaps not. A superior Airforce grants control on a vast area. Possibly the entire surface of a planet. Therefore being able to move *also* your Air units through the teleporter would make two things:

1. Very tough competition on new planets, with no need to establish a base and have to build a little bit before dominating - instead you may want to keep the game a more open, specially during the first phases of the match.

2. Basically it would reduce an invasion to *who has the biggest blob wins* - right now, attacker and defender likely have a different army composition at the moment of the first clash - which makes things more interesting.
  3. BallsonFire

BallsonFire Active Member

But its really hard to invade a planets of a player that has a a lot of bombers and gunships. My opinion is the gates should have build in anti air for small air defense or we get an anti t2 unit. Also gates should be harder to destroy. I played a long game today and because of the other player's bombers and gunships I could not invade his planet. We both gave up after 3 hours and a horrible lag.
    JacksonNL likes this.
  4. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

But then we could put AA on everything. There should be other solutions.

Like making the Gate cloaked 'till it actually activates. Even if I see some issue here as well. No, likely we really need am Unit Laucher and/or Dropships.

Note. It could be the other way around. A Stargade once activated will be visible to the adversary 'cos the impact of the Time/Space that is create in the Continuoum. As result gravity all around it should be distorted a little with a sweet graphic effect rendered as optical waves.
  5. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Any unit in the game is automatically visible to a player trying to look for them. No need to auto reveal.
  6. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

At the moment I don't see much difference between a massive blob of units on land and a massive air-force. Both still give you control of a world when used properly.

On the side note of t2 anti air, I think that the tank t1 anti air should be turned into a t2 flack tank and leave t1 AA for bots.
    pieman2906 and Pendaelose like this.
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

The problem is that Air does it much faster than land. Also consider that because Air units are faster/more mobile you can place the Teleporter further out of harms way compared to land units, making it that much more difficult to shut down the teleporter for the enemy.

Mike
  8. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

There's no way to affect air from orbit. I think this is the only problem with the defenders advantage of no air teleports. A ground defense is easy enough to establish a beachhead against by using nukes or lasers to clear a safe zone, but air units can be limitless in number and endlessly spread such that there's no way to get rid of them short of glassing the planet.

While It might not be a perfect solution, some kind of anti-air defense that can descend from orbit might be helpful. Of course, unit cannons may also be the missing piece in this rock-paper-scissors equation.
  9. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

There definitely needs to be a way to send aircraft and/or naval units to other planets – primarily for the purpose of invading naval planets.

While it would be pretty cool – it'd probably be dangerously OP due to how fast and powerful bombers can be.

Instead we should probably just have a water teleporter for sending naval units through.

Something that has been mentioned elsewhere, and would be awesome, would be a new kind of orbital fighter that can fight in the orbital layer and aircraft layer. It can be built in orbital or on the ground and can switch between the two layers. This'll give players options to invade from space, and fight in space if one of the two venues has been overwhelmed by their opponent.
    dc443, cdrkf, Antiglow and 1 other person like this.
  10. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

At the very least we should be able to send construction aircraft through.

So far, if we choose to go navy or air then it is instantly harder to establish a beached because the army can't get though.

And I don't see how it can be OP if you already have been making AA and building fighters to defend with; like people should be doing on the home planet or vs any possible air raid.
  11. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

could be too easiliy be used for snipes ... soooo no ....
    i also like that there is still a focus for yuor ground troops to do the mainwork .... as it should be imho

small hovercrafts like riptides, blazes, zthuee or the GDI hover mrm - launcher
    and of course hoverfabbers to set up the main navypunch you want to have ...
    or deepsea torpedo armed tanks like the wagner ...
    Last edited: January 18, 2014
  12. bobucles

Commander problems belong on the Commander pile. Most of them were solved over a decade ago with cloak.
    cdrkf likes this.
  13. MrTBSC

stealth and cloak are a no from uber iirc
  14. bobucles

The Supcom cloak matched the Starcraft cloak in design. It was perfect hiding that could only be revealed by a single detector. It was not appropriate for the game and it is not appropriate for this one either.

The TA cloak is different. It was made to be vulnerable exactly where the game belongs- on the surface. It would need a few adjustments for the late game, but is otherwise the right tool for the job.

Wait, no stealth? Why even have a radar layer if everything is always visible? That can't be right.
  15. MrTBSC

first of i know how cloak works in each of those games ... i´m generaly not a fan of it in RTS games honestly ...
    playing cat and mouse might be already annoying ... but hide and seek? on a multiplanet match ? no thanks ...
    as for stealth ... you can hide in the shadows and avoid the spotlights you know ...
    and not everything is visible to you but you might hear something that is further away than you could see it ... trying to see with your ears

do we realy need stealth on units ... wouldn´t that like basicly asking to put in microintensiv units in a more macrofocused game ... wouldn´t that also ask to put in omniradar if you are going with a set of stealthunits and structures? ... i don`t know ... im not entirely against stealth but i don´t consider it a nessesity as justification of radar it may come in later though ...
    the difference between visual and radar
    visual i can see you and know what exactly your are
    radar i can´t see you but know that you are there but don´t no what you are, so i can only guess ..
  16. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

personally i kinda feel like aircrafts already has a lot of advantages, flying over mountains, cliffs, water / lave, super fast scouting.

Not really think they need more advantages. if they can move through teleporter, they definitely become the superior choice.
  17. mostuniqueusername

mostuniqueusername Member

What the heck are you talking about? A Stargate(TM) is a registered trademark of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Incorporated, a company known to aggressively pursue legal action against anyone using their trademarks without permission. I don't see ANYTHING in Planetary Annihilation that even remotely resembles a Stargate in form or function.

If you're talking about the Teleporter, that's a completely, totally different thing from a Stargate. You don't have to dial it, it doesn't go to other solar systems, there's no 'kawoosh' when it activates, travel through it is bi-directional, small aircraft can't go through it, and more than one of them can be used on the same planet at the same time.

It's not even remotely similar to a Stargate and I certainly hope that no judge or jury would ever think so!
    aevs likes this.
  18. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

The only thing we need now is a water gate

Air units through a gate would guarantee dominance by one player as soon as they establish air superiority over every planet in the system - immediately.
    I think there needs to be a mod for this if you want it, but otherwise no.
    I call it a stargate. he called it a stargate. If they want to sue me, I'll introduce them to common sense.
  19. mostuniqueusername

mostuniqueusername Member

Nooooo! Sssshhh! It's not a Stargate, it's a Teleporter, a really really awesome looking Teleporter, one that we certainly do NOT want Uber getting sued over!!!

(In case it was not obvious, this post and my last post are SARCASM. Obviously the Teleporter is an homage to Stargate, and I really hope that MGM does not pull a cease-and-desist over it because it is awesome.)
    mered4 likes this.
  20. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

It's a Matter Decompiling Transmitting Reintegration Ring or a MDTRR.