Star Rating is not even more broken now.

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Feedback and Issues' started by L-Spiro, May 4, 2011.

1. L-Spiro

L-Spiro New Member

There was another topic with a similar name that got entirely derailed on a tangent from the actual point.

If you play a full game, the Star System seems reasonable now.
    So I dont want to start a discussion on the details of how it should be calculated.

The actual flaw that it has nowand yes it is a big oneis that it penalizes you too harshly for joining late in a game. The reason is clear: It assumes that all of the factors it considersand in general they seem accurate nowspan the entire game.

The fix is simple.
    Current system: NewScore = OldScore + Delta
    Fixed System: NewScore = OldScore + (Delta * (TimeYouPlayed / TotalGameTime))

In this way, players who joined at the very end can neither gain nor drop in score, which is fair.
    Players who join in the middle start off with a disadvantage, so they should only be half penalized for their poor performance. If they actually end up becoming the MVP after that, they should even get a reward.

And finally, players who played the whole match will get the same change as they would with the current system.

As for playing a full game now, it really seems mostly fine. I think we should have this change implemented before we start discussing at length how to make an accurate rating system.
    For all we know, there may just be one already hiding behind this JOIN LATE AND PAY THE PRICE bug.

L. Spiro
  2. MrHTRW

MrHTRW New Member

But stars don't mean anything.
  3. UberGaf

UberGaf Uber Alumni

Uber agrees and the next patch will contain a fix to keep you from getting dinged so bad when you join at the end of a game.
  4. Kurnuttaja

Kurnuttaja New Member

I think the system is fine now because the rating does not matter anymore :lol: . And for you Spiro please change the avatar and stop writing your username at the end of every post, you are not a president or anything.
  5. Vlane

Vlane New Member

He is a president to you so respect him.

Also learn what a signature is.
  6. DelBoy

DelBoy New Member

Unless it was something offensive, or repulsive, I don't see why there's a need for change.

If there is one 'signature' that does annoy me sometimes it's that one that blackberry users (are forced to) always make when they send something from it. 'Sent using my Blackberry'! Well... good for you mate.

Sent using my PC Keyboard.
  7. Xx Tikki xX

Xx Tikki xX New Member

and whats a rough outline of when this patch will drop?
  8. Proxus

Proxus Member

Agreed.

P.S: This thread is even more derailed than the first which actually had good feedback and suggestions about the star rating in general.

Sent using my Logitech G15 Keyboard In Google Chrome 11.
  9. Skull Man

Skull Man New Member

The star system is very, very good at this point in my opinion except for what happens when you join at the end of a game, so I'm glad that it's being addressed. I went from 5.00 to 4.17 after joining ten seconds before the end of a match. A juiced tank killed me when I left spawn and then the game ended, haha...
  10. Proxus

Proxus Member

I'd hardly call it good at this point. If it truly is meant to be a "noob compatibility" indicator then there is no reason why someone who dominates the entire game and wins should lose rating. By lowering said persons rating it gives lower rated players the impression that this player is near their skill level when this is absolutely not the case.

/stare@dragonash
  11. Kurnuttaja

Kurnuttaja New Member

Kurnuttaja
    _____________________________________________________________________________

Seems that Uber cares only about the All Star rating and nothing else.

And why I think it is pointless when he writes his username at the end of the post: I can already read it from 2 other places: Author name and avatar, so where is the third needed?
    _____________________________________________________________________________

Kurnuttaja
  12. TNine

TNine New Member

I've always been neutral towards the "ending the post with your name", but i've also noticed that only constructive posters use it, so...
  13. DehydratedWater

DehydratedWater New Member

Use average for the round, excluding top and bottom player.

-sent using the submit button.
  14. Revolution_Jones

Revolution_Jones New Member

Other than the just joining at the end of the game thing and losing .4 points thing, and how little the game rewards you from doing good, I think the Rating is tons better than when it started out. I still don't see the need of having a individual rating for a team based game, but I can easily acknowledge it has improved greatly.

I really don't care about killing unless it advances the game. I like having my team win and being apart of that. If you take the four 'objectives' for an average match (bot Control, Pro Control, Turrets and Moneyball damage), you can easily do three out of the four and win a match for your team without even killing more than two guys. Now how bot control comes into play for your ranking, It feel the rating does factor in.

If I could make a suggestion, it would be to use surplus money to spend on temp buffs or heals for Turrets and Bots. Like not just spawning more BlackJacks, but maybe explosive Blackjacks that have a good area effect. Makes Sins and Tanks think twice about getting in close. Or just to put some money to make healing bots to heal Turrets if you don't have a support on your team.
  15. Lyrae

Lyrae New Member

The idea of being able to spend more/less money on permanent/temporary bot upgrades would be a nice one. No need to have both implemented, and I get the sense that only a temporary upgrade would "fit" into MNC. The various special upgrades that could be added (like explosive bots) could also be interesting.
  16. Espiodude2

Espiodude2 New Member

Star Rating is a stupid idea for a team game.

-Espiodude2
  17. Xalerwons

Xalerwons New Member

Ratings are necessary to attempt matchmaking/setting "fair" teams.

Xalerwons
  18. Espiodude2

Espiodude2 New Member

Let me correct myself. A rating based on k/d ratio is a stupid idea for a team game.

-Espiodude2
  19. Lyrae

Lyrae New Member

It's not as bad as it used to be in that respect.
  20. DehydratedWater

DehydratedWater New Member

If you can keep a good kdr (like 7-15 or so is good) then even with just a few bot kills, you are still contributing greatly to your team, as the other 5 of your team can work with probably 2 of the enemies dead most of the game.