Stalemate with Planet Vs Planet?

Discussion in 'Support!' started by fergie, October 1, 2013.

1. fergie

fergie Member

So what did we do wrong to get a stalemate in PA? it was only my 5th game, and 2nd ever leaving a planet, my friend with me on vent, his 1st game

Not sure the other two players we fought, but also guessing very new

It was a 2v2 with 2 planets, we had a decent but pretty quick war on the major planet, they rushed orbitals and both commanders left, by the time we destroyed both bases and the orbitals we had our own up for sat view and then started building to go after them as we guessed they split.

Well they shot down our space party that went over to their new planet, by then we both had a planet to ourselves, and massing orbital fighters, sending 100-150 of them at a time to eachother, as 7,8...then 10 orbital factories pumping out fighters, orbital lasers to spare sats,...each orbital platform with 5 or even 10 spare fabbers, the rest pumping out as much powerplants and upgrading every metal nod with no need for defense.

We were sending in at least 80+ fighters along with 3 orbital lasers and 3 sats so we can get a view of the ground, and try and get a laser to fire off before the 200+ defenders took everything out.....they dropped about 20 fabbers with a swarm of 150 fighters, we offed the fabbers quick, landing onto our planet that was well defended with nothing to do....

We placed im guessing around 40-50 Umbrelas to stop anything flying above, they did the same....

by the end we each had over 300 fighters defending, 50+ umbrelas, swarms of land def at the ready and it got so laggy I could barely move my map around to look about

We called it gg and a draw.....

How can one take on a well defended planet? we had no moons or roids to take over and fling at eachother, how do you break the massive late game defense? Now I see why starting on two different planets is a bad idea, I was thinking that would be cool, but not anymore...

what did us noobs miss? what did we not use properly? can I transport nukes and fire them from space? I tried to launch them from my silo to the planet lol

It was still a really fun game, just wish we could have ended it, but all players had a good time and a few laughs in chat with 100s of fighters everywhere like flies
  2. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

I believe that plans for later down the road will involve nukes that can go interplanetary, that might be able to break a stalemate? but then I'd assume in such a case as this both sides would just spam anti-nukes as well, then again, firing multiple nukes at one area, they can only have so much anti-nuke coverage at any one point, wheras you can build and send almost limitless nukes to that one point.

Edit: Also, they'll eventually be adding the unit cannon, that can directly fire units between planets, so you can ground-invade straight through orbital.
    Last edited: October 1, 2013
  3. TealThanatos

TealThanatos New Member

Nukes, unit cannon, asteroids. I think eventually you could send entire planets to ram them
  4. fergie

fergie Member

I know they will be adding in changings, thanks for the replies, was just wondering if anyone has any luck or tips on how to do it right now....

I am thinking with my computer being on the lower end, and with planet invasion being rather limited, I might just start up maps with one large planet, and an empty system.... we'll see

Unit Cannons Sound really fun, I loved them in SC2, though I thought someone was saying they will have limited range, so you need to wait for a planet to get close in orbit, or that you can use the rockets to put a moon in orbit around a planet (rather than just smash it) to fire nukes and unit cannons between eachother

All not in yet, and I cant wait!

Also the UI and view for space units, movement and controls really needs some TLC, I have a hard time selecting space units, knowing if they took the command, or seeing the path they are going to fly, also can you deselect space units? they group up often in orbit and just sit..... and its tough to take my 25 fighters and a few pods with fabbers and leave my sat radar or my energy sat since I cant deselect them, or zoom in enough to take just what I want
  5. Puzzlemaker

Puzzlemaker New Member

Yes, I too have had a stalemate between planets. Better assault capabilities is important, for sure.

Inter-planetary Nukes would be nice, but those can be countered so I would take it with a grain of salt.

Better orbit-to-ground ability would be awesome. Unit cannons or even better transports would work, that let you quickly drop a large amounts of units down.

Orbital factories are a must. Factories that let you build ground units in space.

Unit cannons would also be nice, but I can see them only being used if the gravity of the planet is small enough.

As for how I solved my stalemate, lets just say it involved an asteroid. And crashing it into a planet.
  6. fergie

fergie Member

Roid Rage is always a great stalemate breaker, but our map was only 2 planets, so was not an option sadly.

Better control of space units is also needed, its hard to deselect units I don't want to sent to another orbit path, also would like to see better path lines of the planned orbit after you move a unit.

A bigger transport would be awesome as well, even if it could just hold 5 combat units.... also I would like to see something that tells me the transport is loaded, and with what, you can figure it out, but it should be shown in unit selected window somehow.

For bigger transports, i'd like them to not have a set number of units, but space it can hold....and some units take up more than others, makes it more tactical and realistic at the same time
  7. rayfe

rayfe New Member

End it before it shifts interplanetary :p sounds like an epic game.
  8. Cerzi

Cerzi New Member

In this situation the best bet is to be very prompt chasing them when they evac to another planet. If you won the war on the starting planet then you already have a full economy set up, whereas the other team has to start over. Send orbital fighters over to their planet immediately along with an advanced radar so you know everything they do, and if they do manage to get to the stage of having an orbital launcher then you can just hover a heard of orbital fighters right above to to tear apart any launches they try to make.

With orbital control established you're in a much safer position to win, and can spam out orbital lasers to wear them down, or attempt a ground assault (which is very expensive as you'll need 1 transport per unit) - if you're fast you can just drop down a couple of fabs on the other side of the planet from them and just mass build factories to assault their base with, as - again - you'll have a vastly superior economy to them and won't need to build any economy in the invasion base.
    dala1984 likes this.
  9. fergie

fergie Member

It was an epic game, everyone had fun, well all GG at the end and called it a draw after 3 rounds of massive fighters hehe

I do need to get orbital sooner, its something I am lacking in my current game play.... I did get a few lasers over in one attack where I sent 50 fighters, then 25 fighters and 2 advanced rads and 3 laser sats....I was able to get on laser to fire off before everything died

A few questions, how do you get orbitals to move to an area you want without a target? I seem to have a lot of issues selecting the right orbitals I want (or finding them at all) and moving them about....I hate loading Pods with units, it always fights me lol
  10. ghostflux

ghostflux Active Member

The thing you did wrong was to not include an asteroid in play, it could shift the tide of battle.
  11. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

Yes should have laid Chase immediately with your superior economy..... also there is, as stated missing units and fault in the system you were playing in with no asteroids or moons for flinging.... what fun is that???? PLANET SMASH!!!!
  12. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Issue is, that the energy upkeep system isn't in place yet / poorly thought through, so you can mass spam defenses.

Also: Orbital fighters.
    It has been predicted, that they will make attacks via the orbital layer futile, but Uber didn't believe. So yeah, no chance of ever braking a stalemate in such a scenario.

Interplanetary nuking is yet another missing feature.
  13. kosmosprime

kosmosprime Member

The bad thing here is that the default random planet generator doesn't really create asteroids, only those 2 scale 2 - 4 (mostly) planets.
  14. fewrfreyut

fewrfreyut New Member

this sounds so awesome, but I'd also like to see expanded orbital combat with larger, expensive space units.
  15. kosmosprime

kosmosprime Member

It makes all of us sad, but there won't be space units, only orbital which moves through space.
  16. fewrfreyut

fewrfreyut New Member

define "orbital which moves through space". We talking combat units that can move from planetary orbit to planetary orbit, or do you mean like what we already have now?
  17. pieman2906

It doesn't make me sad. I'm glad they're not doing space battles/ units, because in larger games, it would instantly make the ground combat irrelevant. And that's what i came here for.
    dala1984 likes this.
  18. fewrfreyut

fewrfreyut New Member

obviously you hate fun.

how would it make ground combat irrelevant? Orbital combat doesn't make ground combat irrelevant. Why would what is basically an expanded version of orbital combat?
  19. fergie

fergie Member

True,some roids would have been nice to have in the system but my system (PC) can barely run a 2v2 with 2 planets..... so that's the biggest I get to play for now

Buying a new Video Card soon, not top of the line, but my 4800 isn't cutting it
  20. pieman2906

Basically, controlling planets would become a secondary, peripheral concern. The game would become all about control of the space in-between planets.

the person with the advantage would just lock everyone onto their starting planets with superior space power, while colonising all the unclaimed rocks. then, with their advantage, would be able to just win by either sending in satellites to bombard, or just nuking the planets.

By making too much of space battles, you limit the ground fighting to, at best, a sideshow to the overall big-game of space control, at worst, you eliminate it entirely, as it becomes more feasible to just be space dominant and orbital bombard people to death.
    dala1984, doompants, elwyn and 2 others like this.