Spawn Camping Deterrent Idea

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Wishlist' started by JON10395, January 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JON10395

JON10395 New Member

Today i was thinking about the methods many classes use to spawn kill people. Heres what I came up with:

Snipers placing ice traps on spawn doors.
    Assaults putting grenades on spawn doors.
    Gunners deploying on spawn ring.
    Supports sometimes placing firebases on spawn rings.
    Assassins waiting outside spawn doors to grapple-kill you.

Tanks seem to have a bit more trouble staying on the spawn ring for a longer period of time so, for the sake of the idea, we won't include them.

What if Uber was to incorporate a skill-drain aura on the spawn ring. This aura is already built to suit the idea as it is team based anyway and won't drain skills of allies. Also, Uber wouldn't have to worry about trying to redesign spawn rooms to counter spawn killing.

For example, a Sniper finds his way to your spawn on Spunky, he goes onto your spawn ring to throw an ice trap, oops! no ice traps! Even if he can throw one from outside the spawn ring, there's no way he can maintain crowd control enough to get a trap on all 3 doors.

Think about it. No more deployed gunners on your spawn ring, no more cloaked Assassins ready to kill you as you leave spawn, no more firebases on your spawn ring and quite a bit less ice trap and Assault bomb spam.

I would love to hear your feedback on this one.
  2. TOM12121112

TOM12121112 New Member

3. Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher New Member

yeah the ejector on the top level of the spawn room inside your own room would be cool
    or what i posted
    viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5787
  4. JON10395

JON10395 New Member

The ideas for Ejectors or Turret nubs are all fine and dandy but think about the people who are getting camped. They are generally VERY new to the game. Is it fair that we ask them to PAY to get people the hell off of their spawn ring ($50 for an Ejector or hundreds for a Turret)? Just doesn't sound cool to me.

I just think the enemy team should be able to get onto the spawn ring, take care of business and leave. Even if you chase someone up there, do what you have to do, then leave. It makes more sense to have a system built into the game that says "Get off of the spawn ring." rather than "If you have any money after being trounced, please use it here. Really, It'll buy you 10-30 seconds of not getting spawn killed."

The Devs already think it's a problem so why would the inferior players need to spend more money on Turrets or Ejectors that could otherwise go toward Double-Minis or a Shiny Katana?

Maybe Spawn Campers should get charged a "tax" for being up there for more than 10 seconds... ;)
  5. Mutated Muskrat

Mutated Muskrat New Member

I do like the idea of enemy players on the top ring having their skill drained ala the Scrambler (is that the right one?). That would prevent the bomb, ice trap, firebase, etc. and give players more of a chance to get out of their spawn.
  6. TOM12121112

TOM12121112 New Member

on the other hand, they wont be upset because they wont have the money to accidentally buy that stupid yellow skill.
  7. Providence

Providence New Member

Why make it so complicated? Just let the defenders shoot out of their spawn.
  8. JON10395

JON10395 New Member

That sounds like a good idea but I believe it to be something that would be exploited. I think draining skills would be a much more viable solution as it is near impossible to turn it into an exploit.
  9. Wandrian Wvlf

Wandrian Wvlf New Member

Defenders shooting out of their spawns sounds good, but then all pub Snipers do already is camp and that would just encourage more camping on their part.
  10. InsolubleFluff

InsolubleFluff New Member

Spawn killing is never fun for anybody, but it's never going to happen just on the spawn ring.

Steel Peel Arena, you can spawn kill from those two openings in the roof.
    LazeRazor Arena, you can spawn kill from three points on the side of the bass and guard both entrances with ease
    Grenade III Arena, Place firetrap behind the bot spawn, clears bots and anybody trying to take it down with the exception of a support or sniper using their respective skills
    AmmoMule Arena, there is a massive space surrounding the base that can be used for spawn killing, I need not list how many possibilities there are.
    Spunky Cola Arena, The corridor can have ice traps, turrets bombs and the lot down there, it's a hazard waiting to happen. Those small openings used to get through to the enemy base can have the same done to them. The safest way through the map is following the bots or going out of the your base, going around the bot spawn (kill the assassin :p) go down to the ejector, straight ahead is a jump pad, use that and you are near enough the heart of the action without getting destroyed. Don't do it alone, you'll only feed the Gunners.

You never once need to be on the spawn ring to spawn kill, and to instantly drain skill on it would be an extremely unfair move against the oposing force. All it would mean is when near the money ball enemies can shoot at you from their spawn ring and as soon as you go up you're useless. Don't counter that argument by saying you'll have to wait a few seconds for the drain to kick in, what about grapple kills? What about fights where you're both shooting at each other but hiding around walls doing the olde peek-a-boo game. You basically encourage money ball farming instead.

The ejector is your safest bet, but I see nothing wrong with using the three different corridors. Or, leave the game and find a different game. They'll lose out because then they'll never farm money and you'll gain a great K/D Ratio.

Problem solved.
  11. JON10395

JON10395 New Member

I would like to see how an ejector is going to clear the ice traps, assault bombs, deployed gunners etc. off the spawn ring...

Problem not solved.
  12. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

I have to say I have seen plenty of suggestion to prevent spawn killing, which in the case of MNC is camping the upper ring of an enemy base, and most are either to hard to implement or just don't work out for the game.

Jon your idea with the skills draining is the greatest idea I have read about "fixing" spawn killing. Most of the "OMG I'm Dead!?" spawn kills are from Pro's abilities so preventing them from using skills while on the ring will make them back off.

My problem is a Pro standing on the floor right under the ring and throwing a bomb, ice trap or air strike to the ring. I wonder if it could be remedied like how firebases can't be deployed on jump pads now.

I have to say we are getting closer to a solution. :D
  13. FB Zombie Chaos

FB Zombie Chaos New Member

Sounds good for spawn camping, but what about when you're NOT spawn camping and you are attacking enemy turrets from the ring?

Will the skill drain be there as well?
  14. Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher New Member

Ejector in your spawn room- top ring gets nailed
    im sure people would be able to figure this out once they are stuck inside
  15. JON10395

JON10395 New Member

IDK, what do you think? This is more of an idea in progress. :)

I would assume that the only skill drain that would be affected by that scenario would be the Assassins Level 3 cloak/crit shurikens. I may be wrong and would love more input...
  16. JackTrips

JackTrips New Member

I like the skill drain idea better than most, but I wouldn't like it if it instantly started draining skills. What about in the middle of a game, when you fly into their spawn ring to headcrab a camping sniper? If skill drain started instantly, you'd lose your bomb.

The other thing I would suggest is that it be turned off for overtime. Everything is fair game in overtime.
  17. TOM12121112

TOM12121112 New Member

throw it from off of the spawn ring.
    you would really have to play with it to get it to work right, because with the wrong positioning, you could make it impossible to hack enemy turrets.
  18. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Who goes to the top ring to hack enemy turrets?

Also I like the idea of OT being free game.
  19. JON10395

JON10395 New Member

I agree with you on that point. No holds barred in O.T.

As far as trying to remove a camping Sniper, IDK. From my experience, camping Snipers don't really serve their team's objective anyway. My opinion, let them camp. Almost any Sniper worth worrying about is at least off of his spawn ring.

The only arena I see camping snipers being so much as a nuisance is Grenade III. In Ammo Mule, choose to push the other lane. Steel Peel shouldn't be much of a problem. Same goes for Lazerazor. And Spunky, Sniping from the spawn ring? Really?

To answer you, Tom#'s, the drain aura the way I see it would be limited to about 2-3 feet from the spawn ring, or maybe when you set foot on it. That might even solve Jack's problem with it. Jump pad, tap "A", fly over to him, Headcrab, "HA HA HA! I love what you do!", BOOM!
    Last edited: January 4, 2011
  20. Im Hudson

Im Hudson New Member

I like the idea, but I would change it from a DRAIN on skills to an increased cooldown duration for skills.

And no, its not the same thing. Skill drain as it is functions as the equivalent of a SILENCE effect from AoS/DOTA/LoL/HoN etc. By silence, I mean it takes away your ability to use already available skills, and then your cooldown period dispates according to your skill recovery rate/endorsement.

If this idea were to be implemented, I would like to see it in the following way:

-Spawn ring (and area above spawn ring for hovering classes) does not drain skills, it prevents ALL enemy skill recovery. This allows you to still use a skill while on the spawn ring for many normal gameplay purposes, but not to continually abuse skills for spawn traps while camping the top. You begin to regen all skills as normal as soon as you leave the spawnring/airspace.

IE: If you have charge available when you land on the spawn ring. You can use it, but the skill itself won't start to recover until you LEAVE the spawn ring.

I'm writing this assuming skills like deploy and bomb can be undeployed and detonated without having any recovery time in the meter.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.