space rift opening

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Timevans999, February 15, 2013.

1. Timevans999

Timevans999 Active Member

Why can't we have massive openings in space to pour huge armies through like the cut scenes in forged alliance?
  2. Pluisjen

Pluisjen Member

That would probably ruin gameplay, I guess.
  3. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

It might. Could probably be balanced by making the rift visible way before units can pass through it and limiting the time it can stay open. I see this as a good idea for a mod though, not as part of the game itself.
  4. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Why not strap 10000 units to an asteroid and toss it all at a planet? Some aspect of that invasion is going to work.
  5. cardboardboxpro

cardboardboxpro Member

Because robots do not care about time and fast travelling. Nor can they think abstractly enough to develop such a fantasy technology :D
  6. taihus

taihus Member

THAT BE ORKY THINKIN. I APPROVE.

With the kind of energy consumption ripping a hole in space-time implies, perhaps it could be some sort of last-ditch game-ending tactic against an entrenched-

Wait, no, asteroids already do that.

Maybe for if you run out of asteroids?
  7. hunterx

hunterx New Member

Then obviously you need to make more asteroids by detonating chunks of the planet. :twisted:
  8. eltro102

eltro102 Member

so what, the rift looks very cool and would add new depth to the gameplay (if uberent manage to make it not be overpowered)
  9. Timevans999

I would like many layers to quantum travel, I used the cut scene of forged alliance as an extreme example, players would need an insane amount of resource to generate the rift.
    And remember this is a multi planet game so if someone lost a planet to this tactic they could fall back to another planet or solar system, so it would not be a game ender.
  10. yellowdisciple

yellowdisciple New Member

Well such a rift mechanic would obviously be in the superweapon/nuke category and nukes used to have a counter in the spiritual predecessors. So if you want to have rift openers you could have rift inhibotors so no rifts in and around your bases. Then it's the same as with nukes. If you prepare on time it won't end you if you don't prepare on time it's your fault for loosing a planet to this weapon.

I think no one will argue against nukes or other doomsday weapons (big asteroids come to mind ;) ) so this could be just one more.

Also I (as an ork player) think asteroids for transports are awesome :lol:

Yellow
  11. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Binary "did prepare/did not prepare" mechanics are a terrible idea for RTS games in general. If one unit's only purpose in life is to counter one other unit, then it is poorly thought out.

Two-way teleportation demands a structure on both sides. That is more than enough to deny access to enemy territory. Can't build it in an enemy base? Then it can't be used.

One way teleportation has incredible uses for reaching new worlds, grabbing new resources, and creating havoc anywhere. Its incredible power means that it needs to be severely restricted lest it dominates the game.
  12. yellowdisciple

yellowdisciple New Member

meh I don't really care... I'm not up for the idea anyways. I'n not for any form of teleportation but since it has been confirmed already I guess there isn't much to be done about two way teleportation.
    Concerning one way teleportation I was just givning some thoughts on you you could integrate it into the game if you really had to integrate it. Well as I said I don't like any form of teleportation.

Well nuke defense just has one purpose and that's to shoot down nukes. So if you don't have nuke defense on time you loose your base. Since it's a spiritual successor to TA and SupCom i think there would be nukes and nuke counters too. Which would make at least one binary "did prepare/did not prepare" mechanic...
  13. blocky22

blocky22 Member

14. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Because it's most probably not fun to play.
  15. sauceboss

sauceboss Member

It was possible to do this in Command and Conquer 3 with the Scrin. I can't exactly remember if it was an ability of the tripods, or a structure they used, but you could drop packs of tripods in the middle of an enemy base and watch them cut everything up with omnidirectional lasers. It was awesome to use it, but getting it on the receiving end was just unfun.
  16. Timevans999

I think most of my games on this will be with ai. My hope is that sorian will add the Uber element, that will be a massive challenge. The best thing about ai is the way they make human teams honest in a multi team match, Which forces you to have a more balanced play style, with no room for attack without (serious) defence.
  17. kmike13

kmike13 Member

We could charge up the Tardis with rifts too! :D
  18. kmastaba

kmastaba Member

Creating stable wormholes with or without gateway would require insane ammount of resources to deploy.

It's a double bladed weapon because it's also creating a direct pathway to our base. So it can be used by the enemy to launch fast counterstrikes.
    Wormhole can be destabilized and disrupted, and gateway/stargates can be destroyed, crushing at the same time the giant army that was crossing the vortex/rift.

So it must be secured on each side, because the exit point will be the perfect spot to mass defenses and self-replicating spacemines, turning the expensive invasion device into an humiliating death machine.

Reminds me the Dominion war on DS9, with the bajoran wormhole.
    Or the giants Ori stargate on SG-1 S09-10.

Could be a way to link distant space sectors in a giant galactic war metagame.
    Especially as there will not be space combat.
  19. jbcpwns

jbcpwns New Member

Soo, kind of like the one in the episode with the master? I call dibs :D
  20. dietshnurd

dietshnurd New Member

I think mass teleporters takes away from the raw visceral feeling of drop-ships and orbital drops.

Darkening the sky with my arriving armies from space feels FAR more satisfying.